View Poll Results: Who do you think will become 2006 F1 World Champion?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michael Shumacher

15 40.54%
  • Fernando Alonso

10 27.03%
  • Kimi Raikonnen

7 18.92%
  • Jenson Button

3 8.11%
  • Other

2 5.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formula One 2006

Thanks

Formula One 2006

F1 season is back!!!!!! anyone a fan here???, who would u put ur money on? i think michaels gonna make it 8 times World Champion, well i hope so i've always been a ferrari fan, hope they're back in action after last years terrbile season.

Thanks
    i voted for schumacher - im not a ferrari fan at all, far from it, mclaren for me , but i think after such a bad season last year there just not gonna lie down and get beaten again, i predict a big big year for ferrari.

Oh, i like the new style qualifying to
    Contrary to the odd name and translucent-grey color, Pocari Sweat does not taste like sweat
    Hardware:

Main PC
    - See 'My System'
    Server - Athlon XP 1700+, 1GB, 500GB HD
    Laptop - Compaq AMD Turion 64 X2, 60GB HD, 1GB
    Media Centre Shuttle - P4 3.0 Skt 775 Shuttle, 1GB, 120GB HD
    NAS - 400GB
    Home Entertainment - Xbox 360 with 37" HD LCD TV, Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO A speakers (5,1), Yamaha RXV359 AV reciever
    Media Centre II - X2 4000+, 1GB, 400Gb Vista Ultimate

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2
    Fernando Alonso - hes got the drive to do it. I'm waiting to see how Rossi takes to F1

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave87
    Fernando Alonso - hes got the drive to do it. I'm waiting to see how Rossi takes to F1
    depends on what standard the Renault is this year tho - its the same with button, if the car holds together then he's got a good chance to. Im interested to see how Massa does at Ferrari
    Contrary to the odd name and translucent-grey color, Pocari Sweat does not taste like sweat
    Hardware:

Main PC
    - See 'My System'
    NAS - 400GB
    Home Entertainment - Xbox 360 with 37" HD LCD TV, Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO A speakers (5,1), Yamaha RXV359 AV reciever

Thanks
    last 2-3 years i havent been as big of fan as i used to be. I just cant stand shumacher he put me off it.

might get into it again this year though Id like to see button do well this year but i think it will be another good year for Alonso imo.

Thanks
    I don't like F1. I'm drunk as usual, but since unusually I haven't descended into angry mode, I'm going to try and explain as lucidly as I can why exactly I don't like it.

It's because- basically- I think the technical regulations are totally contrary to the spirit of motorsport. The rules within which the teams have to operate now are so restrictive as to almost totally kill off the innovation on which the sport used to thrive. In the 60s, 70s and 80s a low budget team like Lotus (or Tyrell etc.) could win races through genuine innovation. AFAIK technologies like disc brakes, ground effect, traction control, ABS, programmable fuel injection, active suspension, pneumatic valves etc. etc. would give whatever team came up with them first a genuine advantage. Several of those technologies then crossed over into road car use- F1 in those days genuinely did improve the breed. Can anyone name a technology from the 90s that has come from F1 and crossed over?

It's fair enough to say that the improvements in safety, both in car design and track layout have improved the sport immeasureably- I enjoy watching any extreme sport more when I don't have to worry that at any moment a participant could be killed. However, I don't think that any of the rule changes from about 1994 onwards have made any difference to safety. TBH, I think Ratzenberger and Senna were killed by inadequate track safety rather than poor car design. As I understand it, the rules for designing the new V8s are very prescriptive- including a minimum engine weight etc. Sorry, but that's not conduicive to innovation or, by extension, to good racing. It comes down to a competition over who can spend the most money on their car design and testing.

Be honest- who last year watched at least one F1 race and one Moto GP race? If you did, which provided the more exciting racing? Is it more fun to count the seconds between two rival F1 cars coming out of the pits, or to watch Valentino Rossi and Loris Capirossi banging fairings on the last lap on two bikes that couldn't be much more different in design? I read the pre-season primer in Autocar this week, and at a conservative estimate the combined budgets of all the F1 teams add up to around £2bn. It costs well over £100 to get a decent seat to watch an F1 race live. Is that value for money?

I personally don't think so.

Edit: come to think of it, if the technical aspects of it do float your boat, would you pay money to see a grand prix of overclockers vying to break the 3DMark world record live in front of a studio audience with identical hardware? Because to me the excitement is about the same.
    Last edited by Rave; 12-03-2006 at 01:54 AM.

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2
    Well argued Rave. And tbh, I totally agree (oh, and I'm sober )

Registered+
    Thanks
    Hi mi money is on Michael too. I live and work out in the Gulf, region so taking the opportunity to go and see the grandprix this weekend in Bahrain - so dont matter who wins - just hope its a close race? or maybe not.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dambrogio
    Hi mi money is on Michael too. I live and work out in the Gulf, region so taking the opportunity to go and see the grandprix this weekend in Bahrain - so dont matter who wins - just hope its a close race? or maybe not.
    it will be a good weekend regardless of who wins if your there , the Bahrain track looks amazing.

Id keep an eye out for the Toro Rosso team - there running restricted v10 engines. Im willing to bet that if they do well, all the other teams will kick off
    Hardware:

Main PC
    - See 'My System'
    NAS - 400GB

Thanks
    • shelley bda's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Pro 875B
      • CPU:
      • Pentium 4 3.2
      • Memory:
      • 2 gig Geil
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 320 gig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi Radeon 9600XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 580w
      • Case:
      • Beantech BT84B
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 15" TFT
      • Internet:
      • 2meg Nildram ADSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Rave
    Be honest- who last year watched at least one F1 race and one Moto GP race? If you did, which provided the more exciting racing? Is it more fun to count the seconds between two rival F1 cars coming out of the pits, or to watch Valentino Rossi and Loris Capirossi banging fairings on the last lap on two bikes that couldn't be much more different in design? I read the pre-season primer in Autocar this week, and at a conservative estimate the combined budgets of all the F1 teams add up to around £2bn. It costs well over £100 to get a decent seat to watch an F1 race live. Is that value for money?
    Nothing compares to Moto GP ( The riders have more character too than F1 drivers which means as much to me as the racing ) give me that or rallying anyday, now rally driving, to me that's real driving skills, much more thrilling to watch than any F1 race

Thanks
    • Blackmage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P67-GD65
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 2600k
      • Memory:
      • 8 Gb Hynix DDR3 1333
      • Storage:
      • Crucial m4 120Gb, 2TB Samsung F4
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI HD5830
      • PSU:
      • 700w Coolermaster Gold Plus
      • Case:
      • Xclio/Aplus Windtunnel
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VX2239WM 22" LCD Monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Broadband 10mbit
    i think michael, his last season wasn't his best and the car wasn't the best.

Thanks
    well alonso won shame button couldnt hold 3rd place! quite an interesting battle between alonso and shuchmaker nice start to the season

Purple Member
    Thanks
    • Tarffie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 (PC2-8500C5)
      • Storage:
      • 250gb + 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GT 512mb w/ Accelero S1
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408wfp & 2405fpw
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 50Mb/s
    Raikonnen was a bit good there, from the back of the grid all the way up to 3rd.

Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow
    Thanks
    Good race to the start of the season, not that much overtaking, apart from Button and Rosberg. Mclaren did well, well I mean Kimi did, Juan Pablo was a bit disappointing.
    And Rosberg looks like a bit of a racer.
    Setting up to be a good season.
    Hope to see more of it

I want Kimi to win the championship, but I doubt he will, just that Mclaren doesn't look reliable. I reckon Schumey will have a good chance, but I still think that Alonso will nip it.
    You've got to have a dream, if you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rave
    Can anyone name a technology from the 90s that has come from F1 and crossed over?
    Advances in aerodynamics and material science have come from F1 and been used in may applications round the world. Also many companies partner them selvels with F1 teams to develope new products.

I think BAE work with Mclaren (or some other high class engineering company whos name escapes me), and BAE and Mclaren both happen to be at the top of their game, even though each has a completly different business.

I think you will find this is where the future of technology and indeed F1 lies.

Thanks
    A brilliant race for the start of the season, some great racing and good tension.

Top marks to Renault (apart from stuffing Fisi's race up, a 10 place reduction was better than not finishing the race) and Alonso, brilliant strategy, and ace driving, and he didnt crack under the preasure (ala Canada last year).

MS did well, though a few lock ups and things, which I wouldnt expect from him.

Brilliant drive from Kimi to come third from the back, as long as mclaren and mercedes work together to make a reliable car, the championship will be his. Defiantly the best driver on the grid.

And a mention to Rosberg, some stunning laps he put in, definatly a prospect for the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information