• Couger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R rev2.0
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 930 @ 4.2 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3 1600 Mhz CAS 9
      • Storage:
      • OCZ 60gb vertex 2E SSD, WD raptor 150gb, WD Raptor 160gb, WD1001FAES 1TB, WD15EARS 1.5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI ATI Radeon HD6970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750
      • Case:
      • LanCool PC-K62
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2007 FPW
      • Internet:
      • 8mb with plusnet
    ty i really enjoyed that shows how advanced aviation has become with production

Thanks
    Awesome video.
    |eBay| Because monkeys never hurt anyone. |Hexus|

-=|sam-t.co.uk|=-

"If crime fighters fight crime, and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?"

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks
    In regards of building jets that going higher, there is a reason why airliners fly at about 40,000ft. The higher you go, the less air pressure there is and the colder it gets. However, at 36,000ft, you reach the thermopause layer, where the temperature stops getting any colder (-56 degrees C). This helps cool the engines passively, so going any higher does not give any extra benefit. Since there is less air, there is less air resistance, but there is also less air for the engines to "push" through, so they would have to run faster, and therefore hotter. Since there is no extra cooling going any higher than 40,000ft, they don't.

Another problem of making faster jets is the sound barrier. When a jet goes supersonic, things get a lot more complicated, and it also becomes less efficient. Of course, going higher can help alleviate some of the problems.

As TiG said, to make progress in faster jet travel, we need to invest in alternative forms of propulsion in order to get into just skimming the atmosphere. However, at the moment, everyone seems more interesting in doing current things as efficiently as possible, therefore creating bigger airliners, rather than faster ones.

Back on topic, I saw a program about moving the wing they build in this country being transported to France where the A380 is built. It was quite impressive, esecially trying to get through a village and how they need the tide to be out to get it under a bridge. I saw something similar about something else where all the lamp posts lie down in a village, with roundabouts which have roads going straight through them and made specifically to allow this huge thing to go through it every other Friday. It was called something like "The Village that Lied Down". Can't remember

Since I work with aircraft (Typhoons MkII) everyday, was quite impressed with the undercarriage in that video. 6 wheel multi-bogies are quite uncommon (747s only have 4 sets of 4 wheel bogies IIRC), especially with 5 multi-segment brakes (most I've seen only have 3); but then I would expect you would need a lot of braking power with that momentum. I thought I had trouble towing my aircraft around; God knows what it's like trying to move those massive things around!

P.S. I appologise for any spelling/gramatical errors, but I am quite drunk at the moment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information