• PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    45 seconds seems pretty mediocre compared with you lot.. Maybe I should exercise more
    Might cough up the odd kidney if I'm not careful

And Nemeliza, that sig has damn near given me a boner
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Howard
    45 seconds seems pretty mediocre compared with you lot.. Maybe I should exercise more
    Might cough up the odd kidney if I'm not careful

And Nemeliza, that sig has damn near given me a boner
    Either that or you are being honest

To hold your breathe more than 90 seconds is mightely impressive and i don't believe that people who say they can do it for more than this are either telling the truth or aware that they are infact breathing.

Try it with your head under water, thats the only way to tell, and i'm sure most of us wouldn't be able to do more than 1 minute.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    90 seconds before i gave up.

| 4|\/| 31337!!!!!!1
    Thanks
    2 mins! and i smoke. im quite impressed

Arguing with an administrator is like kicking God in the nuts

Thanks
    I can do three minutes which is pretty easy when I'm not moving and completely restful. The furthest I've swam underwater without surfacing is about 400 metres. But I did have a scuba tank for that! Holding your breath while swimmin is much harder, since you need the oxygen for exercise, dontyaknow...

Thanks
    i admit, for my second attempt i didnt move at all and had my eyes shut, helps imo

just done 1:35 with eyes open, so it cant help that much..

1m is about where i always have to orce myself to hold it, before that its easy, i couldnt do 2m, well i could, but i cba

Thanks
    After 10 puffs on my inhaler, i managed an hour
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • Enverex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H77n-WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K with Scythe Shuriken
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 670 2GB OC Power Edition
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 550W G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG11
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 42LW550T 42" TV
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity
    Originally posted by lynni
    u stupid lot!! has a nurse, i feel obliged to tell u how much your damaging yourselfs and cutting the oxygen off to your brain.... hence causing headaches and worse so, fainting. which means your brain is tellin u to breathe!! dont do it...... :-D
    Geez, it's not like we do it regularily, I did it twice on the way home from College one day. The only thing I do is biking, but I have one habit of holding my breath for long periods of time (unintentionally) without noticing and feeling a bit weird. No idea why it happens. So its probably long term effects of that.I dont play any wind instruments or anything.

NS

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    Originally posted by TeePee
    I can do three minutes which is pretty easy when I'm not moving and completely restful. The furthest I've swam underwater without surfacing is about 400 metres. But I did have a scuba tank for that! Holding your breath while swimmin is much harder, since you need the oxygen for exercise, dontyaknow...
    now this is close to what I was about to say...during a dive, or swimming underwater without breathing apparatus it is entirely possible to kill youself due to the sudden lack of oxygen upon re-surfacing. its called shallow water black-out and its a result of holding your breath for too long.
    it doesn't happen on the surface but you can bring yourself to something near when on the surface.

hyperventilate (breathdeeply and rapidly) for a short period of time then take one last gulp and hold it. any increase in time?
    you can 'train' your chemorecptive pathways to work in hypoxic levels (low oxygen levels) if you hold your breath often enough over weeks. what makes you want to breath again is the build up of carbon dioxide, hyperventilating reduces the amount of CO2 in your blood and effectively 'knocks out' the receptors that detect it, it therefore takes a little while to build back up to a level that makes you stop holding your breath - hence time of breath hold is extended.

BUT...try this diving and you risk killing yourself. the pressure differences upon return to the surface cause any oxygen that you might have in your blood to actually leave the body - you breath out O2 as you rise towards the surface in effect...hence you black out, and die...

I'v tried to explain it in a way that everyone will understand, there is a far more technical way of explaining it but I don't expect you all to want to bother with funny numbers concerning pressures/gas volumes/gas concentrations and the like...
    for those of you that can handle the numbers - sorry, just accept the fact that they're not here today and get on with life without them