Thread: such a thing as a dehumidifting tank/chamber box thing ?

Thanks

such a thing as a dehumidifting tank/chamber box thing ?

just wondering if there any sort of units which can be used for extracting moisture from stuff and keeping the humidity to a minimum

or would i be aswell just using a dehumidiyer and make my own ?

Thanks
    You can buy dehumidifiers that draw moisture out of a room, in fact most aircon units will dehumidify too. But they tend to be pricey.

You can hire industrial dehumidifers from most hire shops that do a good job, my mates insurance company hired a load in when his house flooded.

What do you need it for mate?
    Beer is life, life is good!

Thanks
    nah nothing industrial size needed im thinkin no bigger than a microwaveish sort of size

just sensitive stuff to moisture i might buy a cheapish one around 50 quid and hack it into decent sized plastic sealable box doesnt acutally have to be that big really but most of the units ive seean aint that small so i was thinking of either mounting it inside a box and cutting a hole for the outlet but id have to remove it to empty the container

maybe mounting it outside and sealing the intake to the box !.... would have thought there was something outthere but tried the usual google and ebay but not having much luck ........

Thanks
    Ah, the industrial thing might be overkill then! Not drugs is it?? lol!

You can buy a crystaline substance that looks like salt which dehumidifies.... Any good?
    Beer is life, life is good!

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin View Post
    You can buy a crystaline substance that looks like salt which dehumidifies.... Any good?
    Silica Gel
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    got loadsa packets of it of ebay stoo but id prefer to get something that really does the job well and sometimes in winter im sure this room can get a bit dampish , alot of condensation on windows so once the container is dry as a bone id let it run in the room too as ive lots of expensive gadgets and electronics ive ordered a hygrometer anyone know the ideal humidity percentage for cool dry rooms ? cheers for the help so far !s

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin View Post
    Ah, the industrial thing might be overkill then! Not drugs is it?? lol!

no comment jamin lol but it may be one of the things going in

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC
    Sounds like a descicator like I used in Chemistry lab.

The ones I used where big glass things, with a main compartment for what you wanted to dry, and a lower compartment filled with water absorbing crystals. Better ones had more exotic desicating agents, and could be connected to a vacum pump to get the water out of the sample more quickly.

You could probably make your own using a large glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Some plumber's teflon tape would help improve the lid seal.

The best descating agent that you can get easily is gypsum. To get some, buy a bit of plaster board from a DIY store. Smash it up into 1cm lumps and bake a tray full in a hot oven for an hour or so to dehydrate them. Once they are out of the oven they will absorb water from the air, so you need to put them in an sealed container ASAP.

Thanks
    very interesting info mate im gonna search some of those words , im a plumber so the tape aint a problem and getting a hold of some gypy no probs , is baked gypum even better than silica gel ? ive just bought a load of sachets for a fiver of ebay so cant complain but if the the gypsum works better than the sachets and is free then thats a bonus !

how should i bake it , like in the middle of the oven on the lowest setting for how long ? , dont want to burn it or melt it or create dodgy fumes

i was thinking one of those glass sugar jars with the rubber sealed buckle clamp they seem like a really good seal

would i just put a divider inside it and pop the gypsum in oneside and whatever else in the other side and seal it ?

Thanks
    If you're being 'non-specific' about the purpose you want it for then I suspect the advice you get will be general at best. Last year we had problems with damp in our flat (mould growing round the skirting boards etc) so I bit the bullet and went and bought a dehumidifier from Argos. All the ones up to about £50 were clearly peltier based and had crappy looking stats so I splashed out £80 for the cheapest compressor based one and it's been great. If you leave it on overnight it'll take our bedroom (with us sleeping in it) down from 70% humidity to about 50-55%*, and fill its 3L water container in the process. By the looks of the thing, it'd be easy to stick some ducts to the inlet and outlet with cardboard and gaffer tape.

*according to the clock with inbuilt hygrometer we were given as a wedding present.

Thanks
    its purpose is to keep stuff dry

i was in bigw today and saw a crappy little thermoelectric thng but i thought id give it a whirl since it was only 15 quid

from about lunch time it hasnt captured that much water , think i will take it back and get a comppresor based one

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

More details?

A few more details about your usage scenario would help.

A you trying to dry something, or to keep something dry? How dry does it need to be?

If you are drying stuff, then the desiccator needs to be able to absorb a lot o moisture, because everytime you finish drying one item, you will be putting another one in, with more moisture.

If you are storing something moisture sensitive, the desiccator need not absorb much, but it needs to be well sealed so that atmospheric moisture does not get in, which will need to be absorbed as well.

How dry do you need to get? Bear in mind that most things of biological origin are damaged if they get to dry. For example paper will disintegrate to a fine powder. In the UK the outdoor humidity is usually between 60 and 95% Rh. Even half that will feel quite dry and will be enough to stop rust etc and dry out food.

Thanks
    If you are going to buy the better compressor based one, I don't see why you don't just use it in the to dehumidify the whole room since that's what its capacity would be. If you just position your storage box close to its outlet, it will always remain dry so long as the dehumidifier is on.

Thread Information