Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sonic Mice / Rat Repellers

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    Nice one Preston

Im ruling out electric/ultrasonic repellers for alot of reasons, but Im thinking momma mousey has had kiddy mouseys not too long ago, or is certainly breeding atm so they're not gonna budge.

Just going to have to remove as much attainable food sources as possible (which unfortunately means a total clearout of my room) and get going with the traps. Been reading that for larger numbers of mice, the same live trap system wont work, and they'd rather chew through the trap to get to the food (the plastic ones) . . . so you need one of those larger box type ones if you want to get the whole lot as mice can attract other mice (although surely I wouldve thought there would be some way of communicating to other mice "don't come this way, it's a trap!")

The tricky thing is how far to drop them off - they seem to have immense homing skills and Im beginning to think 5m(iles!) aint gonna be enough!

Thanks
    If you somehow trap a live mouse, the humane way to kill it is to take it outside and hurl it on the ground as hard as you can. If you've ever been on Oblivion at Alton Towers, I reckon it must be like that for them only with instant death substituting the falling through a hole bit.

When I was living with my mum we had a mouse infestation, and in a large 4-bed semi there was really not much option but poison- and yes it smelt for a week afterwards. I took the place apart trying to find out where they were coming from but it was no use. In the end the Hamster murdered one by dragging it through the bars of his cage, and a few were caught in traps and either died, or were released, or if obviously ill were dispatched by the aforementioned method.

When our hamster escaped we eventually caught him by shoving a jar full of raisins under the floorboards- even then we snatched him just when he was getting desperate for grub after four or five days. TBH, I love rodents- I had a pet rat as an 11 year old, and I condifer them beautiful and lovely creatures- but when they're loose in your house, potentially spreading Weil's disease, you have no choice but to be harsh with them.

The one healthy mouse I've ever caught by the tail jumped up onto my hand at the bottom of the garden and spooked me into dropping him. I guess he lived to fight another day. I love rodents, I really do, but it's us versus them and you have to be heartless.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD303 View Post
    The tricky thing is how far to drop them off - they seem to have immense homing skills and Im beginning to think 5m(iles!) aint gonna be enough!
    I wondered about that too - I used to drop them off in the car park at work 8 miles away. I figured if they could find their way home after that then they deserve a break and can help themselves to our crumbs, but I'm sure they would just disappear into the nearest warm building.

I've found the site I bought the stuff from, very good selection and info at www.pestcontroldirect.co.uk . I bought first of all 'tip traps' from Homebase, but these only can catch one then need to be reset (caught two this way over a week), then worried I wasn't getting anywhere and so bought the metal 'big cheese' trap from this page:

http://www.pestcontroldirect.co.uk/a...t_Traps_8.html

As well as an ultrasonic/electromagnetic repeller. Didn't have any mice come in after that, and that weekend I found and filled up the hole with expanding foam, and haven't had any problem at all since.

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    we've got several holes I think, which isnt good - but I know most of them are near the kitchen/dining room . . .

how many mice in one go / altogether did you catch with that cage trap? Its similar to the one Im thinking about getting. . . .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD303 View Post
    we've got several holes I think, which isnt good - but I know most of them are near the kitchen/dining room . . .

how many mice in one go / altogether did you catch with that cage trap? Its similar to the one Im thinking about getting. . . .
    None actually; after the repeller and expanding foam they never came back but it looks as though it would do the business if it had to. Caught two in these little 'tip traps' but they are a pain because you have to keep resetting them and they are very sensitive even to footsteps, I thought that there was no way I would catch them faster than they can breed this way and so brought out the big guns so to speak.

If there are lots of places they might be getting in via and you can't be sure you have foamed them all, then I reckon the £30 is well spent on a repeller because it gives peace of mind that they won't come back - ours is still plugged in - once you have got rid of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information