• Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazzlad View Post
    You'll find mate, that we live in a Democracy.
    Over 50% of the UK want capital punishment back (ANYONE find a statistic to counter that?) meaning that YOU'RE in the minority.
    Where's your statistic to back that up?

If the majority want it (and over 50% is way more than just a majority) then how come we've never voted anyone in who has that view?

I personally agree with severe murder cases, and severe peadophilia (of course only when 100% proven beyond doubt) leathally inject them.
    Totally disagree - capital punishment is the sign of an uncivilised society IMO. Next thing you'll be saying that mentally ill people should be killed, or lefties etc.

We know, per person have more violent crime than the US.
    Proof? What classes as violent crime? Do we have more violent violent crime? More murders, fatalities etc.?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Where's your statistic to back that up?

If the majority want it (and over 50% is way more than just a majority) then how come we've never voted anyone in who has that view?
    How naive. Since when has ANY party in power actually done what the majority want? I personally was pro Iraq war, more than 50% were against it. It should have ended. It didn't. Here are a few quick statistics :

"75 per cent public support when the subject was last debated in the Commons in 1994."

Mean yes, it should have gone in

Then, MPs voted by 403 votes to 159 - a majority of 244 - against restoration. The margin has grown over the years from 185 in 1990 and 170 in 1983.

So the out of touch, privately educated MPs living in security and swimming in money (sweeping statements I know) voted against it.

The death penalty in Britain was suspended in 1965 and then finally abolished in 1969 despite strong public support for its retention.

There's another for you. The Government doing, as it wants.

The high-water mark of retentionist sentiment was reached in 1962 when 81 per cent were opposed to banning it.

And it got banned, 4 years later.

Interesting, in a recent survey on yougov (who goes on that crock of poo?)
    Only 49% of the public wanted it. But that figure is STILL higher than those against it. (Obviously some voted "Not bothered")

In a similarly sized survey the figures were:
    "An overall 66.5% were in favour of the death penalty for some or all of the offences suggested."

Now as I said, find me ONE where the trend is reversed.

I'll be waiting.

Totally disagree - capital punishment is the sign of an uncivilised society IMO. Next thing you'll be saying that mentally ill people should be killed, or lefties etc.
    I hope it never happens, but if someone broke into your house, tortured and raped your wife and child, then murdered them back, let's hear your view then.

I'm sure your view would be the same, and you'd be chuffed with the murderer in jail (for 7 years), playing pool, watching Sky TV and being fed 4 times a day, whilst having massage therapy sessions.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    No I wouldn't be chuffed, however I think that murder does not justify murder. On the contrary, it encourages the idea that murder is right - how can you argue that murder is wrong if you then advocate murder yourself? If you read my posts above you'll see that I make the case for punishment, however I don't even consider capital punishment as either suitable or effective.

Why are you voting for a privately educated out of touch MP if they aren't representing your views? Go and make a difference, and tell other people to make a difference. Our version of democracy works very well IMO, it's not perfect, but one thing it does rely on is the voting of people to act on your behalf. I always make sure I vote for someone who will represent me in parliment - if enough people do this then parliment will represent the majority.
    Last edited by kalniel; 13-10-2006 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks
    A law could be passed to allow remorseful paedos to request to be chemically castrated.
    Best thing is that we would then know which ones probabably intended to reoffend.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Quote Originally Posted by snedger View Post
    A law could be passed to allow remorseful paedos to request to be chemically castrated.
    Best thing is that we would then know which ones probabably intended to reoffend.
    Or start a family..

IBM
    there but for the grace of God, go I IBM's Avatar
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD SATA 10k RAPTOR, 500GB WD SATA Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce PX8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    there are probably a lot of other people who really struggle with the issue - imagine how you would feel if you found yourself having those sort of feelings!
    I'd like to think that I'd resist such impulses, knowing what an utterly depraved and evil act it would be to indulge such feelings.

Added to which, how many people who say prison is easy have ever been to prison? I haven't but I'm guessing even with cable TV it's not a bundle of laughs
    Is it supposed to be a bundle of laughs? I'm of the opinion that prison should be a truly horrible experience. Considering the shockingly short terms in prison some criminals get for their crimes, it should be an experience no-one ever wants to repeat. It should be boring, with the only outlets being educational and designed to improve the individual and teach them a trade.

And how can you have too many 'human rights'? If you are a human, you deserve human rights. Thats the half point of human rights - its obvious that the upstanding members of society have certain rights, but we shouldnt go round chopping the balls of paedophiles - two wrongs don't make a right, as the saying goes, and all humans deserve human rights. It's all in the name.
    I'd have to say that sexually assualting a minor is a fairly effective way of waiving your human rights. Considering that a large number of peodophiles are known to assult more than one child, shouldn't we be considering the 'human rights' of the children? Which one would you rather be, the child sexually assualted at a young age causing terrible physical and mental trauma, or the adult indulging in a depraved act who then goes on for a fairly limp slap on the wrist punishment for his crimes? And yes, there are wider reaching implications for the peodophile, entirely deserving ones I should say, but I still think they're getting off easy.
    sig removed by Zak33

Thanks
    We don't let the families of victims decide 'justice' for murderers.

A great man once said 'The best argument against democracy is ten minutes with a voter'. If the majority of the populace want capital punishment they prove the man right.

Thanks
    Again, I'd love to hear your view if your wife/Mother was brutally murdered. My view wouldn't swing...would yours? Honestly?

Rank Bajin
    Thanks
    Bazzlad- Do you have a link for those quotes?

I myself am against any form of capital punishment, and I think I would remain to be even after the scenario you mentioned. If we, as a society, let blind anger and hatred get in the way of logic and reasoned thinking, then we are no better than anyone who acts purely on illogical impulses.

Having seen the damage that miscarriages of justices do even with our "soft" prison system, I dread to think what would happen if capital punishment were brought back.
    The Caped Crusader :-)

Large Member
    Thanks
    So you want capital punishment eh Bazzlad? What a plonker. Can't help but feel sorry for those 2 Welshmen that have finally been aquitted of murder after 11 years in jail. Shoulda killed 'em when we had the chance eh?
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazzlad View Post
    Again, I'd love to hear your view if your wife/Mother was brutally murdered. My view wouldn't swing...would yours? Honestly?
    Mine would. Most peoples would. Which is why victims don't choose the punishment. It's not about revenge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information