Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MCSE - Help?

Thanks

MCSE - Help?

Im looking at doing one of these when I leave college, however, I cant find any really straight forward or useful websites on them in the UK, has anyone here done one, or could offer any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    James

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    first off ask what you hope to get out of it, do you need it?

If your a hot shot programmer, do the imagine cup instead, will count for more and its free.

MCSE is 6 MCPs, 4 are core, the other 2 you get too chose.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    Well, I'd like an ICT related job, not decided on exactly what yet though, but there's always need for people on servers, and im pretty good at them...

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by james.robinson View Post
    Im looking at doing one of these when I leave college, however, I cant find any really straight forward or useful websites on them in the UK, has anyone here done one, or could offer any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    James
    Hi mate,

These sites may be useful. I'm a MCSE, but if I were you and I was in your shoes, i'd rather pursue a career in software development.

If however your mind is made up, some of these sites may be useful, and get you on your way:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/ ( how to become a MCSE and what it's about )
    http://www.cramsession.com ( for exam help - not only MCSE though )
    http://www.certtutor.net ( another exam help site )

My personal advice to you would be :

Get your hands dirty and practice DOING stuff. Get yourself VMware server (free) and some trial copies of server 2003 - then knock together a lan and build, break, fix and test stuff - Don't just learn the theory and become a paper MCSE ( people that pass the exams with no real practical experience ). You may get away with it at the interview, but it will soon become apparent how much you know if your boss asks you to deal with a failed raid array for instance and you don't know what to do - especially if the users demand their documents back and everyone breaths down your neck to get it sorted !!! ;-)

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Fjorko; 13-11-2006 at 12:03 AM.
    If I'm not back in 5 minutes - just wait longer !

Thanks
    Fjorko, some very helpful advice there mate, my mind isnt made up on what to do yet, I am currently researching ideas, but i have no doubt that being an MCP would be an asset in most situations.

I have the facilities to setup a home network LAN (I have one, but breaking it should be fun) and Im quite happy to get my hands dirty.

Thanks
    but there's always need for people on servers, and im pretty good at them...
    quite - there is always a need and most are being managed out of india and small EU countries that are cheap

Also what makes you think your "pretty good" - I assume your experience is running "your mates" or "college" servers.

Thats not meant as a dig, more a case of think through what your basing your experience on
    It is Inevitable.....

Thanks
    looked at CCNA?

Thanks
    At work I have to set up a network configuration everyday i.e. a few exchange servers, a few other servers with certain software of it, a DC and a load of clients. Typically I always have 5 or so OS's running at the same time not to mention my blade server and three others sat under my desk. But doing that everyday doesn't make me good at it. In fact, I don't consider myself even marginally good relatively to the other people at work.

I've gone through some of the MCSE material and it is tough stuff. You'll only be "good" at this kind of stuff if you've been in the industry actually doing it (as many members here are aware I'm sure)

Has all the piri-piri! GeorgeTuk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjorko View Post
    Hi mate,

These sites may be useful. I'm a MCSE, but if I were you and I was in your shoes, i'd rather pursue a career in software development.

If however your mind is made up, some of these sites may be useful, and get you on your way:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/ ( how to become a MCSE and what it's about )
    http://www.cramsession.com ( for exam help - not only MCSE though )
    http://www.certtutor.net ( another exam help site )

My personal advice to you would be :

Get your hands dirty and practice DOING stuff. Get yourself VMware server (free) and some trial copies of server 2003 - then knock together a lan and build, break, fix and test stuff - Don't just learn the theory and become a paper MCSE ( people that pass the exams with no real practical experience ). You may get away with it at the interview, but it will soon become apparent how much you know if your boss asks you to deal with a failed raid array for instance and you don't know what to do - especially if the users demand their documents back and everyone breaths down your neck to get it sorted !!! ;-)

Hope that helps
    I agree with this I mean after all I do not have MCSE but I do have 6 years experience and have this job now despite a supposed insitence on MCSE.

I would go for a job first, no matter how basic as long as it is 'hands-on' do not go for a call centre tech support as its difficult to move on as it is not real world experience in break/fix scenarios.

You might find an employer willing to sponsor you to do MCSE which would be the best, just don't get hung up on the MCSE as the be all end all.

Stealth Geek - And Proud!

Thanks
    • Digerati's system
      • CPU:
      • i5
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 500Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 5800 HD
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27"
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjorko View Post
    May I ask why you think that?

Im an engineer and am currently doing my 1st MCP (I have no desire to go all the way to MSCE but doing some of exams for more knowledge as well as CV candy)

I have plans to go into Cisco VoIP but am currently going through the whole 'is this career for me' and was curious why you think software development was better?

Thanks
    Its somethign I'd question too. My Skills are suited towards support / troubleshooting , I'd rather eat wasps than write code. Hence why I'm a production DBA , not a Development one

My own advice is to find a niche, People who can do off the shelf windows + mail type scenarios are quite common , but the more you get down to specific product support , the fewer people are around.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    looked at CCNA?
    Yeah id suggest CCNA as something to look at, i did the training for an MCSA but still havent got round to taking the exams yet. Also as someone else said, go for a job with hands on, because its easy to forget what you learned unless ur using it.

Thanks
    Thanks for the input guys, thing is, im in to all aspects of computers, I wouldnt say I was an expert at certain things, but I like and seem to be good a troubleshooting operating systems and problems, im just finding it hard to pinpoint the most suitable type of job in the IT industry for me, as there are so many, Id just like the best stepping stone after Ive done these A Levels.. whatever it could be.

Splash
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeTuk View Post
    I would go for a job first, no matter how basic as long as it is 'hands-on' do not go for a call centre tech support as its difficult to move on as it is not real world experience in break/fix scenarios.
    Agree with the first part, not the second. I started out in a call centre for DSG *shudders* a few years ago, then did some network and desktop support from there, went back to what I honestly believe is the best IT helpdesk in the world, learnt a whole bunch of stuff I wouldn't have picked up if I were just doing desktop support and now I do a bit of everything from building laptops to setting up user accounts to fixing broken Exchange and Citrix environments. All without letters to my name (though that is about to change - the company have agreed to pay for the MCSE exams for me, and I'd quite like the qualification that says I CAN do this stuff than not)`.

The other thing I would say is look at why you want to work in IT. If it's for the money forget it - the Computeach (or whoever it is) adverts are misleading at the very least - yes there are some people who earn a lot of money working in the field but that's balanced out with all the monkeys at the low end of the scale (I think GDVS, kaos_engine and many more know what I mean here!). I work in IT because it gives me new stuff every day, and I get to be involved in new technology (well, new to me anyways!) on a regular basis. And I love it.

Thanks
    Splash, I see your point there mate, I really love IT and do it because of that, not for the money, I obviously dont want to earn nothing, as thats no good, but a nice little wage is all that is required to keep me happy, ive always got my computer on the upgrade!

Thanks
    what A-Levels are you doing ?
    It is Inevitable.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information