• Tagan 580W U22
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster ATC110
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP L2045W
      • Internet:
      • BE 21MB
    Quote Originally Posted by manwithnoname View Post
    there is a lot of interaction between teacher and child, prompting and direction the child, but the teacher also needs to back off to allow the child see what does and doesn't work in some cases.
    reminds me of the last assignment I did about shared sustained thinking- scaffolding and the zone of proximal development.

I was surprised to see that in Italy if theres a single child with SEN then they limit class sizes to 20! and not 30 over here

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JPreston View Post
    I know...(wait for it)....IT'S MADNESS GONE POLITICALLY CORRECT, I TELL YOU!!!

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by ikonia View Post
    very interesting perspective on a child flying high being classed as special needs too, something I'd never considered. (Not that this sort of thing is on my mind often)
    typically the offered solution is "deal with it" - after all, the child in question is capable of doing all the standard tasks, so where's the problem? the issue, of course, is that it leads to gross boredom and subsequent under-achievement ("why should i do my ten times table when i can do long division in base 13 in my head" and so on)

there are exceptions, of course. back when i was picking a-levels, teachers were able to assess suitability for given pupils for given subjects. i was given the lowest rating (not suitable) for maths, and the highest for 2xmaths (i.e. maths and further maths in the same timescale). but teachers who bother with such things are rare

Thanks
    • shelley bda's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Pro 875B
      • CPU:
      • Pentium 4 3.2
      • Memory:
      • 2 gig Geil
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 320 gig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi Radeon 9600XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 580w
      • Case:
      • Beantech BT84B
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 15" TFT
      • Internet:
      • 2meg Nildram ADSL
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    typically the offered solution is "deal with it"
    Unforunately that is the case in most places

My Son's School is fantastic! he's always been pushed to his potential at School, first he was put into higher classes, now he's yr 6 and gets given Yr 7 workbooks to work from on top of that he gets an hour a week of extra maths and english tuition....he recently went and met up with other Kids from around the County for a mathemetics brainstorm, he loved it!...he's shy too so being pushed and acheiving results has given him loads of confidence.

Without a workbook though he's as dim as dishwater

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabula View Post
    My current job is coordinating support for students with dyslexia and similar, right up to degree level...

It is a genuine condition, and shouldn't be a target of ridicule just because it is not a visible disability like being blind or having no legs etc.

Dyslexic people have a higher IQ than the norm, on average. So it is not stupidity. But the joke does have a point.

Just because someone is dyslexic doesn't mean they are not stupid. There are stupid dyslexics and intelligent dyslexics, just as with the population as a whole.

My younger brother is dyslexic. We initially found out from some comment along the lines of "you mean letters don't swirl around when you're reading?".

Whatever causes dyslexia, it is real, and there are strategies for dealing with it.

Until we can overcome peoples ignorance about dyslexia, people will joke about it. We no longer hear jokes like "What do you call a deaf girl?... Anything you like because she can't hear you! HaHaHa!!!". Most people have moved on from such prejudice, and I hope people can learn more about the reality of dyslexia and understand it more.
    Way to ruin a good joke!

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1x480GB SSD, 1x 2TB Hybrid, 1x 3TB Rust Spinner
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

i think we should stop. helping the dyslexic is some peoples JOB, they would be knackered if it ceased to exist
    Last edited by MadduckUK; 01-02-2007 at 11:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

Thanks
    Love that JPG!

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

Exclamation

yes i am bored. i guess im probably a little dyslexic. or stupid
    Vodka

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazzlad View Post
    Way to ruin a good joke!
    I'm sure some people said the same when people responded to racially based jokes with statements to similar effect

Just being 'a joke' doesn't make it ok.

But at the same time, there is a point in this about the fear that dyslecia is used as a label for poor performance in school - and I think a joke based on that fear is fair game personally.

Thanks
    Well I don't believe in 99.9% of cases of dyslexia, I mean there's no uniform proof, or diagnosis. So it's completely different.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    That's a nonsense, Bazz; while I appreciate the original joke (I read it as a joke not about dyslexia, but about middle-class mums not wanting to believe that just possibly little Tarquin or Jemima might actually be a slack-jawed halfwit), dyslexia is a very real condition with observable neurological indicators.

http://www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk/Page.aspx?PageId=26

http://www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk/Page.aspx?PageId=13

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nichomach View Post
    That's a nonsense, Bazz; while I appreciate the original joke (I read it as a joke not about dyslexia, but about middle-class mums not wanting to believe that just possibly little Tarquin or Jemima might actually be a slack-jawed halfwit), dyslexia is a very real condition with observable neurological indicators.

http://www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk/Page.aspx?PageId=26

http://www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk/Page.aspx?PageId=13
    As stated I don't believe in 99.9% of Dyslexia. There are some very real cases, Richard Branson being one, but I know of at least 2 Dyslexics who are just thick.

At the moment, millions of pounds alone are spent on the process of merely identifying children with dyslexia. There's no uniform test, and different psychologists have different ideas about which things to look at: but Elliott's view is that they're all a waste of time and money. "Some tests look at memory, some at sounds and words, some at visual processing," says Elliott. "The traditional route was to identify a child whose IQ was high, but whose reading level was low: that test is still being used in some places, although you could ask why look at a child's IQ when deciding if they need special reading help? But the bottom line is that experts can't agree precisely what set of problems make up the condition they call dyslexia: and if you can't agree on what a condition is, how on earth can you test for it?" Or to put it another way, as they do in the Dispatches programme: either every child with poor reading ability is dyslexic, or none of them is.
    I believe more often than not it's just a blanket diagnosis.
    That's my opinion, like it or not, it's not changing.

Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    We provide evidence that altered activation observed within the reading system is associated with altered density of grey and white matter of specific brain regions, such as the left middle and inferior temporal gyri and the left arcuate fasciculus. This supports the view that dyslexia is associated with both local grey matter dysfunction and with altered connectivity among phonological/reading areas. The differences were replicable across samples confirming that the neurological disorder underlying dyslexia is the same across the cultures investigated in the study.
    Silani and others - Brain, A Journal of Neurology, June 2005

Neuropsychological studies have provided considerable evidence that the main mechanism leading to these children's learning difficulties is phonological in nature, namely a basic defect in segmenting and manipulating the phoneme constituents of speech. A case has also been made for impairment in brain visual mechanisms of reading as a possible contributing factor. This approach has led to an important conceptual advance with the suggestion of a specific involvement of one subsystem of vision pathways (the so-called magnosystem hypothesis). Both phonological and visual hypotheses have received valuable contribution from modern functional imaging techniques. Results of recent PET and functional MRI studies are reported here in some detail. Finally, one attractive interpretation of available evidence points to dyslexia as a multi-system deficit possibly based on a fundamental incapacity of the brain in performing tasks requiring processing of brief stimuli in rapid temporal succession. It is proposed that this so-called `temporal processing impairment' theory of dyslexia could also account for at least some of the perceptual, motor and cognitive symptoms very often associated with the learning disorder, a coincidence that has remained unexplained so far.
    Michael Habib, Brain, December 2000

Presumably the observable differences in brain function recorded via MRI and PET scan were also imaginary then...

I am certain that Professor Elliott is an absolutely wonderful educationalist; he is not a neurologist. He is almost certainly correct that early intervention is crucial in helping any child with learning difficulties; but stating that because there are a lot of children with a specific problem that the problem is imaginary is frankly a ludicrous piece of cart-before-horse faux logic.

What's also apparent from the article you cite is that Professor Elliott has an agenda himself:
    And what I'd argue is that the intervention they receive when their child is labelled dyslexic isn't effective - and furthermore, it's very expensive and time-consuming, and it diverts resources away from what could be being done better to help all children with reading problems.
    Guardian, September 2005
    He believes that children with reading difficulties, whatever their aetiology, should be being targeted with early intervention, and also believes that assistance for pupils diagnosed with dyslexia is diverting resources from that. Now, I'd agree with the first part of that; where I believe that he is wrong is in the assumption that the solution is to remove assistance from children with dyslexia. Essentially, he is arguing for the re-targeting of resources, and using the assertion that dyslexia doesn't exist, or that too many children have it to justify that. That's sophistry; deciding upon the conclusion that you wish to arrive at, and then selecting your evidence and argument in order to reach it. Moreover, he makes assertions that simply do not bear scrutiny, such as that there is a widespread belief that reading ability is linked to intelligence (something that he uses to support the hypothesis that the problem is middle-class mums stealing precious resources from other disadvantaged children); the BDA doesn't think so, and neither do neurologists as noted above, or the BMA.
    Last edited by nichomach; 01-02-2007 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Expansion, and citing of source for Bazzlad's quote

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Part of the problem is that dyslexia really is a term that's used to cover a lot of different things. Personally I view it as basically describing a condition where someone's brain activity/connectivity is abnormal and they've basically re-routed. This is detectable by NMR, is common in cases of brain injury particularly during pregnancy, and often occurs in areas that show themselves as poor reading/writing etc.

On the other hand we do get the benefit of the re-routing which often manefests itself in the guise of mathematics proficiency and spacial imaging.

If you want another example of a similar injury in a different part of the brain, look at Richard Hammond. Since the crash he can now instantly remember all the numbers he's ever had in his phone.

Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Sooooo...basically, all I need is to crash a rickety looking dragster at 300mph and I'll be right, then...?

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80
    are we saying that dyslexic people have brain damage?
    Vodka

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information