Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do the the companys we work for have to be so heartless..

Ravens Nest

Angry Why do the the companys we work for have to be so heartless..

I've had to do a sicky today from work, im not the sort of person to do that even when i am ill i still go in and if i cant deal with the illness (9 times out of 10 i can) i ask if i can go home.

I've been working for my current employee for a few years now and been sent home cause i was feeling unwell once, but other than that i have been in every day with out fail, im always there and work extremely hard for them.

Well this week on monday, my brother told me that they were having a surprise birthday for my mother on her 50th birthday and that it was on saturday at 6.30pm, to my dismay i am working that day till 10 pm.

So on tuesday i said to a manager that i desperately needed saturday off and i was willing to do a shift swap 6am-2pm meaning i would have to work till 10pm friday night and come in 6am the next morning! but i didnt mind i'd be there for my mother's 50th and still do the amount of work they needed from me that day.

But NO you cant have it we need you in, i near enough begged for the shift change but they didnt care, all these companys care about is profit im sick of the heartlessness of these people, would they not themselves get the day off for something as important as there parents 50th birthday??

Or perhaps they parents live in an old folks home and have not seen them for years? im beginning to suspect that what most of them are like..

Sorry to rant but my faith in human nature is at a very low point at the moment.

Now im sitting at home having to pretend im ill hoping they dont phone to check up, i know when i go back to work i will be punished but i had no choice Family is more important to me..

Thanks

Re: Why do the the companys we work for have to be so heartless..

Originally posted by Ravens Nest
    Now im sitting at home having to pretend im ill hoping they dont phone to check up, i know when i go back to work i will be punished but i had no choice Family is more important to me..
    Thats all that matters then and you've made it clear to yourself that your family is more important.

Dont worry about the phone. Leave it on answer machine and say you were too ill to get out of bed or you didnt hear the phone going.

They cant really haul you over the coals for 1 days sick going by your record and if they do then dont sit and take it. Advise them of your almost unblemished attendance and if they want to take this further then your management should be prepared for a grievance being put in against them.....

Is it call centre work you do cause this situation sounds almost like what goes on here LOL

Fun Not Frags - www.gsvgaming.net

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    you had no choice.....

I manage people (try too ) and you gotta let them do what they need.

If you DONT then you expect the odd sicky anyway.

Dont fret it one bit. I normally defend "business" because on the whole, Employment law is not always fair on the Employer, and defends useless employees, (not you dude) but on this, I am on your side.

Its cos its Christmas time......they feel like everyone wants time off.......and that includes THEM in management. Not suprising really...its bloody Chrsitmas, we ALL want time off.....

You're right to not go in. Family mate....family

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Ravens Nest
    Thanks for the reply Richie, the only thing is it's not as simple as that , the manager i asked was the same manager who gives you a return to work interview for being sick.

So he will know i took the day off for my mothers 50th, all i can do is come into work on monday go through the return to work and keep saying it was a coincidence and that i was genuinly ill..

Oh and i work for a food distribution warehouse, but i did work for a telemarketing company before that though very easy to take a sicky there though i only did that twice in 5 years (Mug!)

Ravens Nest
    Thanks for seeing my point of view on this and yes i had no choice really..

Hey and Zak33, i wish you were my manager, thing's would be much easier

Where i work they are a bunch of robots who dont even say hello even if you say it first and they will walk straight by you.
    Last edited by Ravens Nest; 20-12-2003 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Thanks for seeing my pont of view on this and yes i had no choice really..

Hey and Zak33, i wish you were my manager, thing would be much easier

Where i work they are a bunch of robots who dont even say hello even if you say it first and they will walk straight by you.
    Doesnt sound like a nice place to be working matey . Imo you did the right thing, family takes priority and it does seem as though your manager was being a bit unreasonable even after you offered to swap all your shifts.

Thanks
    So he will know i took the day off for my mothers 50th, all i can do is come into work on monday go through the return to work and keep saying it was a coincidence and that i was genuinly ill..

ALWAYS remember this - It is THEIR job to prove you faked it, NOT your job to prove you didnt so just say you were ill, stick to the story and you wont have a problem.

If you start to defend yourself then you will run into probs as they may trip you up.

Fun Not Frags - www.gsvgaming.net

Ravens Nest
    Thanks steve,

My new years resolution is to get out as soon as i can, i'm doing an A+ PC masters degree at the moment, i really want to get out of warehouse work, especially since i have niggling injurys caused by being over worked at my current job, but i need the money so cannot just leave

What are the jobs like on button moon?
    Is mister spoon a good bloke to work for?

Ravens Nest
    Originally posted by Richie
    ALWAYS remember this - It is THEIR job to prove you faked it, NOT your job to prove you didnt so just say you were ill, stick to the story and you wont have a problem.

If you start to defend yourself then you will run into probs as they may trip you up.
    Good advice thanks Richie, i'll just keep it basic and not argue too much, i was ill thats all

Thanks
    Can I make a suggestion?

Have you considered working for a security company? I know the idea of being a security guard doesn't appeal to most people, but as temporary work, in terms of pay for work done, it can't be beaten. Depending on the type of place you work at the pay will be equal to or better than warehouse work, and you'll probably be able to spend most of your time sitting and reading a book (which would be perfect for someone studying). Have a look in your local paper, the big security companies are always recruiting. Provided you avoid retail security, hospitals and warehouses, you should be able to find somewhere nice and cushy.

If Central London is a possibility, send me a pm.

Ravens Nest
    Thanks for the suggestion TeePee, I have thought about being a security guard while i study, but the pay isnt enough in my area, i need at the minimum £7 an hour and all the places i have seen that is way more than they pay.

I live in the south-east, near southend-basildon area.

Thanks again m8

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    the moral of the story is:

if you REALLY need that day off sick and you can't give enough notice/think they won't let you - don't give them any warning and just phone in sick or whatever.

you'll be looked at funny for taking a day off you needed but were refushed. ESPECIALLY with your work record, they wouldn't of looked twice.

the moment managers realise this, they will next realise they are better letting you take that day off your annual leave than loosing you for two days instead...

whatever you do, keep it simple though. less to remember or be tripped up on at a later date.

Nox

Thanks
    Many security companies do a 56 hour week, which means more money, but I know there's a great variation. Try ringing the companies to see if they have higher paying sites. In Central London £8-9 is common, my site is £9.75 for guards (more for me!). On the other hand I've heard of hospitals only paying £5.50, and thats for actually working!

Ravens Nest
    Yeah i've learned my lesson, other people at work had said they were not giving any days off or shift swaps but i thought that management would see i was a special case and that they day was very important to me...but they didnt and even seemed suspicious about it

Oh well i'll be punished for weeks for this, i now know as you say Nox to just do a sicky dont even ask them.

If i thought it would have caused this much of a problem i would have just rang in sick, but i tried to give them the benefit of the doubt and let them know the situation (what a waste of time that was)

Oh well you learn something new every day.

Ravens Nest
    Originally posted by TeePee
    Many security companies do a 56 hour week, which means more money, but I know there's a great variation. Try ringing the companies to see if they have higher paying sites. In Central London £8-9 is common, my site is £9.75 for guards (more for me!). On the other hand I've heard of hospitals only paying £5.50, and thats for actually working!
    £9.75 an hour! i think your going to get a lot of PM's about that

I'll look into a security guard job, give a few companys a ring see what they are payin and the hours worked thanks again

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    Hi, I'm your boss in disguise. I know what your game is mister, and the jig is up. We'll discuss this issue on Monday.

Regards,
    Steve the Manager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information