Thread: Who gives a stuff about ATI and Nvidia's pipelines?

DR
    Thanks

Who gives a stuff about ATI and Nvidia's pipelines?

WHILE THE RUMOUR and speculation about Nvidia and ATI's next gen graphics card technology is intense, we need to ask ourselves how many of us really care about it?
    Some people will be interested in the new technology. Sure, some of us will be happy to brag about our latest .l33t. 3DMark scores to our friends, and some of us will just play the games at a slightly higher resolution, and in six months time be miffed again over the relatively poor performance compared to the next next generation card.

Who cares what the technologies these companies use? I am amazed at the number of people on public forums who debate the ins and outs and corporate strategy of these companies, and make accusations these companies have missed out a generation of GPU/VPU to make sure they beat their competitor.

Some people feel so emotionally attached to these companies they seem to defend everything they do. We have fan boys on certain forums, some screaming ATI, and some Nvidia like rabid soccer fans. I don't always understand the nature of these people, but bashing publications who write it the way they see it? Come on guys, play fair.

Remember Nvidia and ATI are both commercial organisations and have the full intent of making as much money selling graphics processors as possible. Each wants to be on top.

Don't get me wrong, this stuff gives me a real kick. But when it comes down to it I have to say the final benchmarks are all that matters, and being able to buy the damn cards before people start talking about the next one.

ATI and Nvidia are both large companies. They both make a lot of money each year, and to most users' surprise they are not stupid. Sure, Nvidia has had its ass kicked with the 9700 and 9800 series of cards and ATI has done well. I doubt we will see either going out of business anytime soon.

A certain amount of spin and speculation always surrounds these graphics products and both try to get the upper hand by discussions with press and try to foil and spoil the plans of competitors. But most publications manage to avoid the spin and try and dig the real truth.

I personally don't have a nanoscale x-ray system in my lab to be able to find out exactly how many pipelines and what the exact architecture of the graphics core is.

All the time I hear from people who feel so strongly about these companies that they accuse me of biased in favour of one, and biased against the other.

I am already eagerly awaiting the hate mail which will without doubt fill my inbox.

The two most exciting graphics products to launch this year are certainly the R420 and the NV40. Without doubt, in the next six months, we will see some speed bumps on the cards, and some manufacturers attempting to boost their sales by bolting watercoolers and fancy LED fans to the cards. But at the end of the day, when the weary cows trudge home and dust clouds the sky, all I want is raw speed. When I am playing UT2004 and fragging at a crazily high resolution I don't sit there and think: "Wow these pipelines really give it some!"

I personally will be taking a week off work to play Doom III, Half Life 2, and Stalker when they finally are released. I don't often have time to play games, but these three are worth making time for.

Technology is interesting, but sometimes I find myself trying to justify why someone has released a new speed bump on a CPU I love revolutionary changes and I think both companies have these in the "pipeline". µ
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14956

Thanks
    But when it comes down to it I have to say the final benchmarks are all that matters
    Well said! I think it doesn't really matter what technology goes onto the card, its only what happens when you want to play games that matters.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    • Platinum's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99 Deluxue
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 5930k @ 4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Crucial 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256gb Samsung SP941, 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD, 240gb Intel 730 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury OC
      • PSU:
      • 750 Watt Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Corsiar 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • 18Mb
    Exacly, Real world performance is what im after, Im running a 9800 PRO atm, havnet benched it in ages, runs my games very nicly at the moment so im happy.
    Salazaar : <Touching wood as I write this...>

Thanks
    • floppybootstomp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7 Sandybridge Quad Core 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 128Gb SSD; 1Tb for games; 500Gb for data
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia 1Gb GTX 560
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Modular 620W
      • Case:
      • Antech 900 Gamers Case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Ben Q EW2730V 27"
      • Internet:
      • Zen as ISP; Linksys Wireless Router; 4 machine network
    Couldn't agree more.

I was, I confess, beginning to get biased towards ATI, but run both makes of cards now. All I'm really interested in is how fast and how good looking my games run.

Thanks
    Bloody nVidiATI fanboy....

Thanks
    I hate nvidia as a company, much like most people hate pc world. Cheating in benchmarks using drivers, exploiting dx9 software to claim hardware is better (where nv40's extra pipelines come from), shoving annoying "The way its meant to be played" non-skipable videos on the beggining of good games, even when there cards are clearly the worser ones, are some of the resons.
    I hate marketing in general though, and nvidia clearly does more of it.

"how many of us really care about it?" - I think this would depend on money. Noone REALLY cares about it, but lots of people care about money, so untill gfx cards become free, I think lots of people will care to some degree.....

ERU
    Thanks
    TBH - not me!

Thread Information