Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LG L1915S 19in 12ms tft monitor under £300

Registered+
    Thanks
    That is especially true in CS:Source, anything other than the native lcd res is really not nice to look at. Even with 4xaa etc.

Thanks

Which games will it play?

I'm into fast-moving FPS (Quake3, Doom3, UT2003/4).
    Is this monitor up to the job? The specs say yes, but I'd like to hear it from actual users before I bother trying to hunt one down to test.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    • dkmech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2*640gb WD Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 6970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Hanns G, 19" Hyundai L90D+
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb
    Rightio. My mate bought one, but he had to leave it with me for a couple days, so i had a chance to road test it.

Response time is great - no ghosting. So far I used it for Frag ops, Planetside, Dawn of War, Americas army - no ghosting at all.

there was tearing in frag ops - but i think thats more to do with it being tft and low refresh rate rather than with it being bad.

Text and desktop are great too. I don't know how much difference dvi makes, but having checked whats out there - and its monitors with at least 50 quid more to pay and crappy 25ms responce times i am thinking that dvi may not be that essential. I used the cable it came with - was fine.

I had some issues getting used to its brightness (plus its in front of my crt monitor - so its closer than it normally would be) but now that i heard of the presets it might be just what i needed.

It seems great! Go buy it, but make sure you leave one for me.
    Tough on mirrors, tough on the causes of mirrors.

Thanks
    Thanks, Skipper.
    If anyone else has one of these, please post comments.
    If anyone else is looking to buy a fast 19" games monitor, take a look at this thread on HardOCP:
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?...2&page=1&pp=20.

The ones to track down in UK seem to be the following.
    All are based on the same panel technology (TN+film) which gives very rapid response, minimal ghosting / halo, but only 6-bit colour (plus some clever stuff that enables 16.2 million interlaced colours rather than 24-bit 16.7 million "true" colours).
    I've also included the best prices I could find, but if anyone finds better, please share:

ViewSonic VX912, 12ms, Analog + DVI, £371 (best price inc VAT), 3D
    BenQ FP937s, 12ms, analog only, £386 (claims to be true colour also), Ebuyer
    Sony HS94P, 12ms, analog + DVI, £505, Dabs
    LG 1915S, 12ms, analog only, £294, Ebuyer

Quite a few 16ms TN panels as well, like Acer AL1912, Sharp LL-191, ViewSonic VX910 and BenQ T903 which would probably be up to UT24K as well.

Thanks
    • dkmech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2*640gb WD Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 6970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb
    Found a dead pixel on it. But i keep forgetting about it and it doesn't really bother me. I suggest whenever you buy a monitor you don't look for them. So that you don't know where they are and they will not bother you

Thanks
    i got one of these from ebuyer last week...

Gateshead/Blueyonderland-Sky-Vergin on mad
    Thanks
    Anybody interested in this type of display should watch http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ for HOT OFFERS which are frequently below trade prices.
    Not connected with them personally but the 2 fav monitors just now are the LG 1915S (no dvi but 12ms has to be good) and the AG Neovo F419 (make sure you get the new one with 16ms response time).
    Only other comment is they both give really good display on our servers with no dead pixels across 6 of each and via the switchboxes and mine at home plays Halo and HL2 with absolute zero problems.
    Honest boss, I just BORROWED the spares for a trial :-)

Now...anybody got any thoughts on a new all in wonder??? 9600XT/9800SE/9800Pro.?

Barely posting since 2006 bertie's Avatar
    Thanks
    • bertie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Lenovo Y480
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 3610QM
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR1600
      • Storage:
      • 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GT650M
      • PSU:
      • Lappy
      • Case:
      • NA
      • Operating System:
      • W7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2405
      • Internet:
      • Australian awful net
    SHISH - is there an F419 with 16ms response?

Thanks
    There are 2 models according to Neovo ( I asked the guy down the road who works there).
    One is listed as the F419, t`other is the F419STD.
    The one with STD (Standard model?) is the slower one at 25ms.
    The 2 are apparently frequently mixed up.
    The F419 (new stock) has 16ms analogue and 12ms or better dvi, 3 years onsite service and I personally think them superb for gaming and general graphics work.
    About the ideal size and a cracking price. After using a variety of crt`s over the years, including 21" IIyama`s which need 2 people to shift (or a fork lift) I wouldn`t swap them. I`ve tried some of the larger versions from various manufacturers in our graphics dept. which cost several thousand pounds and I don`t think they`re as good.
    19" is definitely the sweet spot for the latest flat panels.
    Look here,
    http://www.neovouk.com/products/F-419.htm#
    Last edited by SHISH; 06-12-2004 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks
    • bertie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Lenovo Y480
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 3610QM
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR1600
      • Storage:
      • 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GT650M
      • PSU:
      • Lappy
      • Case:
      • NA
      • Operating System:
      • W7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2405
      • Internet:
      • Australian awful net
    Guess i'll have to wait til retailers start listing it as 16ms to ensure I get the 16ms

Thanks
    The FG models on the link (and elsewhere) quote response times of 15ms/10ms, which is rising and falling times. Most other manufacturers quote a combined figure, so the 419/419STD has a speed of 25ms. Online reviews I've read haven't been kind about it either.
    I bought the LG1915S. Not a single faulty pixel or sub-pixel, and after playing UT2003, Doom3, Halo, Call of Duty, Q3 Arena and V-Rally2 all I can say is buy one. I keep having to turn the brightness down, I'm running it at 72Hz, picture is excellent. No flickering / ghosting / smearing. Loads of happy customers at Ebuyer think so too.

Thanks
    I guess I have the advantage of using both so I`ll go over to the LG on my main rig for a couple of days but as the LG factory is just down the road and we have six of each at work ( I have the spares ) I must admit on our media servers the LG which is on the switchbox with long analogue cable runs still gives a superb picture and I can`t see any smearing or tearing on the high motion vodeo (streaming digital video for demos etc.) and as LG actually make the screens anyway they aren`t going to sell the retail div much crap.
    Guess a lot of this is subjective but they`re both excellent IMHO and cracking screens for the price.
    As to actual figures, I will check up with our tech buyer for real world figures, but it`s well known that most manufacturers toy with the figures on just about anything made and sold but I`ve played several games on both and run high speed digital video and they both handle those tasks with ease and I wouldn`t have my 21" Iiyama back without a major threat of resigning and with my salary that`s not a threat I`d make lightly.
    Anyway, even with the 2x19`s and a couple 14" server/network monitors in front of me, I can still use my desk whereas I had to have 2 desks before with just the Iiyama and a couple very precariously balanced LCD`s on top (upset the HSE guy a bit) and send for Pickfords if I needed some work space for a project

Thanks
    Figures quoted are NOT rise and fall but D-Sub and DVI according to one of their engineers and are best case averages.

Thanks
    • bertie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Lenovo Y480
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 3610QM
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR1600
      • Storage:
      • 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GT650M
      • PSU:
      • Lappy
      • Case:
      • NA
      • Operating System:
      • W7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2405
      • Internet:
      • Australian awful net
    I think you might be wrong there SHISH - not that I know any better but I have read that these monitors as they currently are do ghost a bit.
    Also I used one at gamestars live and it ghosted on WoW (however it was sexeh and that's why I want a non-ghosting one )

Thanks
    • dkmech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2*640gb WD Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 6970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb
    I tried the one in topic with a number of games and it didn't ghost. And i know what ghosting is coz the Dell tfts we have at work do ghost. So i would recommend it.

To those who think CRTs are better for picture quality - when i had to give away the tft and switch back to my Hansol 710d CRT (which is very good by the way) - i was appauled. Coulours seemed dull, i could see a lot of flicker (thats at 85hz) and it was painful to look at. It subsided after 5 minutes, but the difference was very big. The fact that the TFT is 19" playes into its hand too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bertie
    I think you might be wrong there SHISH - not that I know any better but I have read that these monitors as they currently are do ghost a bit.
    Also I used one at gamestars live and it ghosted on WoW (however it was sexeh and that's why I want a non-ghosting one )
    OK, I`ve not tested this one thoroughly yet but I`m using one now and I`ve got one running at work.
    Our streaming server doesn`t show any difference I can see except the dvi (which runs off an old dv editing desk setup cos of the long runs of cable) seems a bit crisper. One of the reasons we switched was for the dvi and because the older ones (including some of the earlier AG`s) were ghosting.
    You need to make sure they are setup properly as a lot I`ve seen weren`t and a couple minutes on the setup can make a tremendous difference when you`re looking for quality and high speed displays.
    I see a couple places (Microdirect and others) are doing rebadged and offer ones which I`m guessing are older stock so maybe that`s it.
    Haven`t got WOW but mine`s fine on Halo on the DVI and superb for dvd as I`m watching Blade now...mebbe should star that name out but WTF.
    I`ll load up the test stuff we use which gives you speeds and suchlike info from the streaming server if I get a chance tomorrow and bring a copy home to try these two out.
    Gotta love the way prices are going down tho` and anybody in any doubts as to buying, go for it cos lcd`s are the biz now and I doubt they`ll get much more reasonable.
    Personally, I`d rank the LG as tops but the AG is a close second and has dvi which is what I need. What the next gen will offer is just coming into view but this current crop is mostly as good as most people will need.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information