Thread: 6800GT O/clocking with power constraints

Thanks

6800GT O/clocking with power constraints

Started off with this one in the SFF forum (as although it's graphics, it's Shuttle specific) so now i'm gonna try here.

I have an SN95 with a 6800GT lovingly mounted within.

I'm currently running it at 400/1100 (up from the 350/1000 standard)
    However, I'm curious to know how much further I can push it.

Now I know that 6800GT's can clock much higher than that, and indeed I have seen many people within these forums stating as much.....however, I'm more aware of the power consumption side of things. I know that as you increase the core and memory clocks that the power consumption of the card will increase, so how far will it go?

Can people who have experience clocking a card such as this in a Shuttle SFF (with the 240w Silent-X PSU in particular) dispense their knowledge and wisdom upon me......actually, anyone overclocking a 6800GT on a tight power budget would be great.

I would be eternally grateful.....(well, I'll say thank you at least)

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx
    Started off with this one in the SFF forum (as although it's graphics, it's Shuttle specific) so now i'm gonna try here.

Now I know that 6800GT's can clock much higher than that, and indeed I have seen many people within these forums stating as much.....however, I'm more aware of the power consumption side of things. I know that as you increase the core and memory clocks that the power consumption of the card will increase, so how far will it go?

Can people who have experience clocking a card such as this in a Shuttle SFF (with the 240w Silent-X PSU in particular) dispense their knowledge and wisdom upon me......actually, anyone overclocking a 6800GT on a tight power budget would be great.

I just don't understand, why do you want to push your card beyond the limits, even if it will go 15% above the rateing of the GPU, when it runs just fine at the defaught clock speed, I have found know game yet I can't play with Framerates thats way above the eye can see margin of 30 FPS. Cheers
    TREAD SLOWLY IN DANGEROUS WATERS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARKMEAT
    I just don't understand, why do you want to push your card beyond the limits, even if it will go 15% above the rateing of the GPU, when it runs just fine at the defaught clock speed, I have found know game yet I can't play with Framerates thats way above the eye can see margin of 30 FPS. Cheers
    Try playing any decent online FPS with only 30fps.

The reson its bad is the way the games work.The controls/inputs will only be updated every 4 frames or so... as they aint so important.. but at 30fps.. thats only 7.5 mouse updates.. you wontplay particually well like that...

And also, the eye can see limit is NOT 30. While movement may look smooth, thats all it is..the eye can notice differences at much much higher frame rates.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx

In terms of power requirement.. it wont go up THAT much untill the core voltage ofthe GPU is increased..Im not sure if that can be done in bios/drivers/windows with these cards but most cards need a vmod to do that.. if power is limited then I wouldnt bother..

So I think the best idea would be to overclock it untill you reach the limit imposed by voltage..
    If the limitis power or heat.. then un-clock it a bit untill its good

Thanks
    Thanks very much guys.......

Sharkmeat - The eye's limits are a bit higher than that, but I do understand where you're coming from about why bother pushing things further that work fine already. However, if you can do it, then why not do it?

SilentDeath - Will do...... have started the process by pushing the clocks to 415/1150....will see how it goes over the next few days re: stability and temps......then will go from there. Thanks for the response.

Will keep you up to date with the results.

Thread Information