Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2121920212223 LastLast

Thread: Predictions on when GPUs will be back at RRP.

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

Re: Predictions on when GPUs will be back at RRP.

so.. is there any more know how on when/if prices are going to be coming down a bit?
    or is it just wait until the 7900 is out in a few weeks or so and see if prices dump then?

or should i just get the 6650xt for £300 and be done with it?
    or even the 6600 for £250?

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Well they released new cards with such high RRPs that they've met them already

If you're looking at a new top end card then certainly worth waiting for the new releases in that market - it's not going to have a lot of effect on the mid or lower end though just yet.

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

well my current 7700 has started doing the orange led on mobo while booting (vga error) but a reset fixes it, and has bluescreened twice in the last few months, so probably cant wait until easter for the lower end 7xxx to come out. plus these are the fps i get in low settings.

Im very much due my 10 year upgrade, unless I win say a RX 6750xt and ryzen 7 7700x for example.

having a few minor pangs about not getting that powercolor 6700 for 300 last week from box. https://www.box.co.uk/AXRX-6700-10GB...O_4319941.html its at 320 now but out of stock.

but i could think of the 6650xt being even cheaper than 300 if i take into account callisto protocol and dead island 2 coming with it. then the cards only £200. games are £50 each. https://www.amd.com/en/promotions/game-bundle-radeon

EDIT UPDATE: https://www.ebuyer.com/1544228-gigab...665xteagle-8gd

during checkout it said there was 45 left in stock, just incase anyone else wants one. well 44 now.
    Ii'm done waiting and waiting until the next one comes out, this was a price i was prepared to pay, seen as its probably going to be in my computer for a decade. the 7xxx series will proably run even slower on a pcie-3 slot than the coupole of % the 6650 does vs pcie4. yiou know, that whole it runs on pcie-4 x8 but also pcie-3 x8 too instead of x16, unless thats fixed in drivers/firmware? so the 7xxx series might have some wierd thing where it doesnt work atall on pci3 or heavily crippled. like the intel chips and win10, the whole reason windows 11 exists for core scheduling.
    yes i know I'm rambling, i just spent £300 im having mild regrets now, and typing out brain thoughts to justify not clicking cancel order.
    hope it doesnt suffer like the gigabyte moherboards did.

and that the rest of my birthday and christmas present to myself sorted

happy days

another edit: ebuyer send the amd game code things in an email in 3-5 days after delivery.
    Last edited by stevie lee; 28-11-2022 at 04:27 PM.

4. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (28-11-2022)

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Happy days, its tough as nothing is coming to the mid/low range soon and prices are slowly coming down.

Prices are no reasonable compared to the last few years especially on AMD cards.

But it seems the 6650x with the game codes is an ok deal and from a 7700 is a massive upgrade.

Thanks

There comes a point, Stevie, where you just have to poop or get off the potty. It's really hard to know how much of the perceived wisdom of the press/media cogniscenti is actual insider knowledge, and how much just speculation, however informed it might be. I'm now just one of the great uninformed, but there were a lot of years where my 'speculation' wasn't. Wasn't speculation, I mean. Sometimes it was direct from the horses mouth, but off the record. Sometimes it was cold, solid fact but subject to (written) NDA. Breaking one of those was good for your advanced access ceasing, forthwith. I remember one very irritating discussion on a (different) forum about the feature set and performance of a forthcoming product (first desktop colour laser) with an 'authoritative' voice on that forum claiming this and that, and me disouting it and being told I was ignorant. Trouble is, I was typing the messages with one of the items under discussion sitting on my desk, three feet from me, and it was (I was told) one of two in the country, that wasn't firmly locked up inside the manufacturer.

That kind of thing happened more than a few times and I would have so loved to post a picture of me leaning on it, but .... NDA. And, it was a late but pre-release model, about 3 or 4 months before public availability and I could allude to things that I knew to be true, but could say I knew it, or why.

I see lots of that today, from the other side, and I never know how much of what those with contacts really know, and how much they're guessing even if they claim it's just a guess. Maybe it is, and maybe not. /shrug

TL / DR - Nobody really knows, except maybe a handful of very senior nVidia executives, and they sure aren't saying. Treat any and all predictions as highly speculative, though possibly right. Or not.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

So my journey is over after selling my red dragoon vega 56 for £475 to a miner I have used that and bought a GPU.

I have bought a powercolor red dragon vega 56.

Why? I got an untested return from a tech recycler for £57.70... and it works perfectly! I will say its risky buying 'untested' gear but I knew this company are legit unlike some who sell known broken as 'untested'.

I am considering re-pasting but temps seem fine so not rushing on this.

I said I would be happy with a 56/64 at the right price so this certainly kicks the can down the road of gpu upgrades as things slowly normalise.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Nice one.

I've had some driver irritations trying to get my Oculus Quest 2 working with the Vega 56, but otherwise mine has been a really nice card.

I sometimes see how far down the benchmark charts they are these days and think I need to replace it, but in reality it's doing me just fine.

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

i'm happy now that im doing 130fps in satisfactory in ultra instead of 15.4 in low.
    sister made me bung on Frame Rate Target Control and set it to 60 (same as refresh rate of monitor/TV, so i dont wear out the GPU too soon. but i kinda want to see the high fps numbers for a bit, not seem them that high in years.

also waiting for ebuyer email saying 'heres your free games!'. at least callisto protocol might be patched properly by then though and not make me think new cards broken with all the stuttering.

and yes the card does say its running at pcie3.0 x8. did find out its a hardware limitation that AMD put on the 66xx series though, for some reason, the 6500 an 6400 runs at x4 speed i believe.

AMD SAM, resizeable BAR works too, so i lose 5% or so from pcie3x8 but gain 15% from BAR. so thats positive afterwards,

congrats Percy1983 on your mega deal.

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

The main thing for me was getting my monitors working fully again as I have 2x 4k monitors and I couldn't run both at 4k 60hz on the R9 290 but bother are back up and running with the vega. I will say this is photography/videography work not gaming.

When it comes to gaming I am very much a budget gamer so years behind on new releases so the vega playing everything I want at setting I am happy with, with that I was amazed what my R9 290 achieved as it was basically unrestricted with a 3700x.

The good news is also my 290 can go back to my second work pc at my studio (currently running an AMD 7700) which has a xeon E5 2680 v3 and 32GB 2133mhz ddr4 in quad channel so the 290 will be a good balance with that system.

Just got the undervolting setting into the vega, currently stable around 1628-1635mhz core and 900mhz ram, not bad at all.

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Thread revival, it appears the answer to the question might be never in many respects, yes we are back at RRP but RRPs are over inflated. It seems nvidia aren't backing down from the pre scalped prices but more importantly people are accepting them, when you read online people saying how good value to 4060 is you have to wonder if its been long enough that many don't know how things use to be, its like the bulk of the market is suffering Stockholm syndrome

My biggest disappointment is AMD, its almost like they don't want market share, the last hope is intel who have their next gen in development.

Seems miners in the northern hemisphere are just using gpus for heating rather than selling them to pay their heating bill. The used market just isnt dropping as i think many just buy as they have been waiting so long (back to acceptance).

I am now resigned to being generations behind so the future plan, my son is after a vr headset in September and is currently on a 3700x+R9 290, so I will upgrade before then and give him the vega 56, so my acceptable options are 5700xt £100, 6700xt £220 and worse case a vega56/64 for £50.

Something has to come down surely... right...

In other news the silver lining, while stuck on the vega I have been going back through my steam library of games 'I will play eventually' and actually playing many of them and having a great time with a GPU able to run them really well, I have been recently playing dishonoured 2.

12. Received thanks from:

kompukare (20-01-2024)

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by Percy1983 View Post
    Thread revival, it appears the answer to the question might be never in many respects, yes we are back at RRP but RRPs are over inflated. It seems nvidia aren't backing down from the pre scalped prices but more importantly people are accepting them, when you read online people saying how good value to 4060 is you have to wonder if its been long enough that many don't know how things use to be, its like the bulk of the market is suffering Stockholm syndrome

My biggest disappointment is AMD, its almost like they don't want market share, the last hope is intel who have their next gen in development.
    Yes, AMD no longer a budget brand. AKA margins over everything. Has led them to... almost nothing in the GPU market and not as good as they could be in the CPU market (where mainly AM5 motherboards and their hefty intro prices have done them no favours).

Intel to the rescue... Well possible but surely only short-term as they were margins crazy long before AMD or Nvidia!

Thanks

AMD don't need to be budget any more so I understand why they don't do it, annoying as a consumer but that's the way things work unfortunately.
    I'll now always be a few generations (performance generations not actual generations) behind, as a grown-up I can afford but not justify even £500 on a card anymore.

A 6700XT for £220 is a great deal, I'll swap my 7600 for it with you?

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    AMD don't need to be budget any more so I understand why they don't do it, annoying as a consumer but that's the way things work unfortunately.
    I'll now always be a few generations (performance generations not actual generations) behind, as a grown-up I can afford but not justify even £500 on a card anymore.

A 6700XT for £220 is a great deal, I'll swap my 7600 for it with you?
    I think we get that, but my point has often been: why spend 100s of million on developing a product then don't bother to ship in any meaningful volume.

Yes, we know that for various reasons AMD's prices have to be better than Nvidia's - and Nvidia show an almost Apple-like obsession to reduce their own BoM - but high fixed costs and pitiful volumes, even at high margins, lead to an overall low profit with nothing to show for it.

High fixed costs and larger volumes even at lower margins would lead to... at least some limited goodwill in the market. Even if buyers are quick to forget!

Thanks

I hate current GPU pricing, so don't misunderstand me when I say this but...

GPU manufacturers know the market better than we do, and what they should do to make more money. I'd LOVE cheaper GPUs but I can't see that Nvidia or AMD are missing out on making more cash.
    Nvida probably don't even have to sell consumer GPUs any more, they've pivoted to AI, anecdotally Amazon can't even get enough GPU in AWS to support much outside of the US and I think they're only keeping in the consumer market for when the AI train slows down.

Where does that leave us consumers? Begging for overpriced, pitifully incremental performance gimped cards, and we better get used to it. My only hope is that the market for mega expensive GPUs slows as the people who can afford them get one and choose to not upgrade and that markets slows, we're never a seeing reasonably priced mid range again though that's for sure. Back to the days of £500 GTX 980Ti's would even be nice!

And Percy.... where are the £220 6700XTs ?! Share the knowledge!

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

There isn't any £220 6700xt, as there isn't a £100 5700xt or £50 vega, I was listing my acceptable prices I am willing to pay.

It does seem the Chinese are working on GPUS, they aren't up to much yet, but if they get something going they will happily exploit the huge hole in the market.

I might add a £130 6600xt to the list which might happen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by percy1983 View Post
    there isn't any £220 6700xt....
    BOO!

Ban him!

I picked up my 7600 from eBuyers eBay shop when they had a 15% off code, got it for £215 including Starfield. That was the best value with half decent performance I could find. They now tend to hover around the £230 mark. I play at 1440p, and I'm happy with the performance.

19. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (21-01-2024)

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2121920212223 LastLast

Thread Information