Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Predictions on when GPUs will be back at RRP.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: Predictions on when GPUs will be back at RRP.

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    At this point,I am loosing interest in this hobby. I honestly think a console is going to be the way forward at this point if I want to run newer games.
    I recently took up drumming. We already have an electronic drum kit from the kids so that's saved a few hundred quid, and just leaves £20 a week for lessons. I'm loving it, and you get quite a lot of lessons for the cost of a 4090FE

OTOH for my other hobby, I recently put petrol in the car and like an idiot drove off with the petrol cap sat on the roof. That's a locking race spec flush fitting petrol cap, £120 delivered. Expensive hobby to make mistakes in

2. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (13-10-2022)

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Remember when the top ends cards were the same price as the previous top end. The midrange was the same price as the last midrange and so on.

So you could get a £250 card every generation and get a performance jump or a £600 card etc.

Now you buy a £250 card each generation you get the same performance with just an ever increasing price at the top end. I don't know when the switch was, we used to get the new top end is 30% and costs the same as the last top end, now we get the new top end is 30% more but 'only costs 25% more, what great value.

As it is the scalpers are back in full swing so I am hoping we don't have the previous supply/miner problems and the scalpers get stung badly.

4. Received thanks from:

AGTDenton (13-10-2022),CAT-THE-FIFTH (13-10-2022)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

The problem is not even the halo parts,its the fact Nvidia pricing the halo parts high,is mostly for them to jack the prices of even the entry level and mainstream parts. Apparently reading on OcUK forums,JHH mentioned to investors they did this so they don't need to discount the RTX3000 series.
    We put the same facts in a thread here somewhere - it's true, he had to address concerns of excess inventory of 3000 parts so claiming to put new products in above them was the only way to swing it.

That depends on the competition playing ball though - AMD have a big open goal in front of them if they can release products that offer substantially better performance for the money than the 3000 series for most kinds of gaming (I still think RT is not performant enough on 3000 series to be considered part of the equation). That does depend on AMD not having excess stock they need to get rid of too though!

6. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

The RTX4080 12GB is a joke - its a sub 300MM2 die GPU with not even a 256 bit memory bus being sold for $900!!
    Which 4080 is that one, the one that is a 4080 or the one that is technically the 4070 but priced like the 4080? That's what it looks like they've done, gullible joe public will not see the difference sadly. On the point of new power supplies, what's the point when ATX 3.0 is due soon enough? I've got a Corsair 1200W sat in my PC, it was a Corsair 850W, but the spikes on the 3090FE caused me some concern, certainly enough to upgrade it.

I find myself spending more time on other hobbies. I've just got an air rifle, so learning how to use that properly (lots of wood pigeons where I live...), aside from that I seem to be spending more time at work lately and the extra money is useful for the increase in energy prices. If the energy prices remain high (we all know they will deep down), then I think getting a new graphics card or CPU that uses even more power isn't really the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    (I still think RT is not performant enough on 3000 series to be considered part of the equation).
    RT performance with DLSS 2.0 on the 3090FE isn't an issue, not sure about below that. Being honest, sure it's a nice to have, but not a need to have when playing games.

8. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I recently took up drumming. We already have an electronic drum kit from the kids so that's saved a few hundred quid, and just leaves £20 a week for lessons. I'm loving it, and you get quite a lot of lessons for the cost of a 4090FE

OTOH for my other hobby, I recently put petrol in the car and like an idiot drove off with the petrol cap sat on the roof. That's a locking race spec flush fitting petrol cap, £120 delivered. Expensive hobby to make mistakes in
    I kind of got lucky with some mispriced computer parts,so manage to get a Ryzen 7 5700X,another monitor,etc reasonably cheap to extend the lifespan of what I have. Bought some new camera and audio gear too.

Quote Originally Posted by Percy1983 View Post
    Remember when the top ends cards were the same price as the previous top end. The midrange was the same price as the last midrange and so on.

So you could get a £250 card every generation and get a performance jump or a £600 card etc.

Now you buy a £250 card each generation you get the same performance with just an ever increasing price at the top end. I don't know when the switch was, we used to get the new top end is 30% and costs the same as the last top end, now we get the new top end is 30% more but 'only costs 25% more, what great value.

As it is the scalpers are back in full swing so I am hoping we don't have the previous supply/miner problems and the scalpers get stung badly.
    Exactly - the variation in USD pricing wasn't massive. Now if you want to get a 50% performance uplift,you might have to spend nearly 50% more.

The switch started when the Kepler was released. Nvidia released its 300MM2 midrange die at high end prices,and then later released the true high end 500MM2~600MM2 die product later on as the nearly £1000 Titan. This normalised a near doubling of high end prices,and Nvidia repeated releasing the midrange die as a high end die. It's why I argued so much against what I was seeing back then.

You saw it with Pascal,with the 300MM2 die product being released as the nearly £600 GTX1080. But at least price/performance sort of was a reasonable improvement for most of the range.

Then you had the second mining boom,and Nvidia released Turing which was stagnant. It was the first time IIRC where they tried overpricing the new generation so they could sell off the old generation at RRP,because it look a relative bargain.

Now they have done it again. The real problem is PCMR gamers who are increasingly justifying this,instead of looking purely at price/performance improvements per tier.

We put the same facts in a thread here somewhere - it's true, he had to address concerns of excess inventory of 3000 parts so claiming to put new products in above them was the only way to swing it.

That depends on the competition playing ball though - AMD have a big open goal in front of them if they can release products that offer substantially better performance for the money than the 3000 series for most kinds of gaming (I still think RT is not performant enough on 3000 series to be considered part of the equation). That does depend on AMD not having excess stock they need to get rid of too though!
    The RT performance on my RTX3060TI is OK,but you need DLSS to actually get useful framerates and TBF I only tried it in Cyberpunk 2077 to see what it looks like. I still think gameplay and worldbuilding is more important than pure graphics fidelity,as long as there is a passable level of graphics.

They are already down $1.4 billion:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nv...evenue-plunges

Its exactly the same situation we had with Turing. Nvidia had loads of Pascal stock due to the 2nd mining boom and sadly it worked. Pascal was sold off with not much of a discount.

The AMD of old would go in for the kill,but not the new margins focussed AMD. AMD will most likely only slightly undercut Nvidia again,and in the UK the lack of reference models being available means street prices will be higher.

This is apparently the leak of the AMD range going about.

It looks like another bump up in prices,meaning the RX7600XT is going to be not cheap either. There are also persistant rumours the RX7600XT will only be an 8GB card with a 128 bit memory bus,and a PCI-E 5.0 8X interface. Its most likely going to be $400+ at this rate.

Hence,if you don't have at least PCI-E 4.0(like my system does not have ATM),I would need to invest in a new motherboard or even a new platform to maximise performance.

The only way to solve this is a persistant crash in sales for Nvidia,AMD and Intel so they are forced to price the more mainstream options at saner prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    Which 4080 is that one, the one that is a 4080 or the one that is technically the 4070 but priced like the 4080? That's what it looks like they've done, gullible joe public will not see the difference sadly. On the point of new power supplies, what's the point when ATX 3.0 is due soon enough? I've got a Corsair 1200W sat in my PC, it was a Corsair 850W, but the spikes on the 3090FE caused me some concern, certainly enough to upgrade it.

I find myself spending more time on other hobbies. I've just got an air rifle, so learning how to use that properly (lots of wood pigeons where I live...), aside from that I seem to be spending more time at work lately and the extra money is useful for the increase in energy prices. If the energy prices remain high (we all know they will deep down), then I think getting a new graphics card or CPU that uses even more power isn't really the way to go.

RT performance with DLSS 2.0 on the 3090FE isn't an issue, not sure about below that. Being honest, sure it's a nice to have, but not a need to have when playing games.
    The RTX4080 12GB uses a sub 300MM2 die. That is not much larger than GA106 used in the RTX3060!

At best this should be a RTX4070. But Nvidia wants $900 for it.

Also the power consumption of modern dGPUs is getting a bit too high for my liking. Not only because of energy costs but heat and noise too.

I think a console is probably the way to go now,if you really want to chase graphics especially since the companies are updating these every few years. The cost of dGPUs(and then probably needing a CPU upgrade),is starting to make the costs too high IMHO.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 13-10-2022 at 01:14 PM.

10. Received thanks from:

Iota (14-10-2022)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Also,DLSS3 works on Nvidia Turing:
    https://wccftech.com/nvidia-dlss-3-f...ouble-the-fps/

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

This is apparently the leak of the AMD range going about.

You just need to look at the dates to see that's a completely made up chart. *50 parts don't release at the same time or before *00 parts.

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Interesting.

Especially this part;

a config file to remove the VRAM overhead
    Considering a 3090 / 3090Ti have 24GB of VRAM then any overhead should be a fairly moot point for those cards.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

You just need to look at the dates to see that's a completely made up chart. *50 parts don't release at the same time or before *00 parts.
    There might be a 3D cache version but I would imagine it will be called RX 7900 3D or XT 3D. But the rumour is that while two 3D stacks of cache are possible it has diminishing returns. Would be something they may only consider if they can reliably overtake 4090 / 4090 Ti with it.

The table having two cache values might indicate 3D version but then again Navi 33 is a monolith... so totally made-up table?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Nvidia U-turn on the RTX4060....sorry RTX4080 12GB:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/17614...-rtx-4080-card

16. Received thanks from:

Iota (15-10-2022)

Thanks
    • Kovoet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG crosshair Hero VIII x 2
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Viper 3733mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 980 pro 500GB Samsung 850 512GB,Samsung 860 1TB SSD & 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte RTX3070Ti, EVGA RTX 3060Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i, RMX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 680x
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Tuf VG32VQ1B
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Virgin

We have one scalper in London selling 20 RTX 4090's on facebook marketplace and we wonder why we cannot get any.
    JABULANI NONKE

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Lets just hope there is more stock coming soon and scalpers get stung.

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

I didn't even notice it uses the 104 chip, which as you say, is normally the x060 card. Sheesh, the greed has well and truly got to them.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    I didn't even notice it uses the 104 chip, which as you say, is normally the x060 card. Sheesh, the greed has well and truly got to them.
    You would think they would do the opposite, make the 4060 so fast that Intel's stuff only manages 4050 performance and gets labelled as low end.

I guess they really aren't bothered by Intel.

21. Received thanks from:

Iota (15-10-2022)

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Coming soon, 4070!

Thanks

Well, they could argue that the card name is more about comparative performance than chipset and that 4080 12GB is a reaso ..... aw, nuts, even I can't sell that one. I mean, I don't mind the occassional light troll with a dollop of devil's advocate but there's the ridiculous and then there's .... that.

Not that card name reflecting performance is inherently a bad idea. As with the CPU clock speed discussion elsewhere, the only metric that actually much counts is real-world performance, but given that different people have different use cases, a metric that's already extremely hard to define gets eeven harder. e.g. how much difference does extra memory make? It depends what games you play, or will play, and/or what non-gaming uses you have.

I guess "unlaunching" the 12GB card is, overall, a Good Thing. It did, after all, at a minimum appear to be about being deceitful. nVidia don't get many brownie points from me for it, though - it's kinda like catching a burglar in the act and him putting your stuff back, then trying to sell the notion that all's well. Oh look, we tried to rip people off, got called on it so we're going to pretend it never happened? It's in the mens rea, nVidia.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223 LastLast

Thread Information