Thread: Issues with jittering in Games and...

Thanks

Jittering in Games running NVidia .. WideScreen+DVI+SLI...

Just got my new 2405FPW, and am having a few issues, hoping someone can help:

1. Running Windows in 1920 x 1200, I get a single pixel blue line running accross the desktop, or exactly the same colour as the taskbar. This disappears when running things in full screen, so it's not a physical monitor related issue.

2. The first game I tried was Half Life 2, as I know it has native 16:10 support. Set it to 1920 x 1200 16:10, the screen jitters, uppy downy by say one pixel. Like a vibration.

I'm presuming these are driver issues but..
    I'm currently running 66.93's as they've always been more stable for me than the 71.84's, and I'm loathed to try the 84's again unless I know it's gonna solve my issues...

Has anyone come across this sort of thing before?
    Many thanks guys,
    S.

EDIT: Turns out that there are Nvidia driver issues with a combination of Widescreen Resolutions + DVI + SLI. There's a whole stack of people on the NVidia forums shouting about it, and I'm gonna join them!

At the moment, the only way not to suffer with a 'jitter' at widescreen resolutions with DVI and SLI is to a) Not run SLI, or b) Use DSUB Analogue rather than DVI.

This occurs with 4 versions of driver sets that I've tried: 67.66 , 66.93 , 71.84 , 71.89. Apparently the betas don't do anything for the problem either.

Nice one NVidia.
    S.
    Last edited by BlueMagician; 12-04-2005 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMagician
    Has anyone come across this sort of thing before?
    Yes (see PM.) I get some noise onscreen (white dots / horizontal lines) when running HL2. But the Windows desktop is fine.
    Dropping to 1680 x 1050 inside HL2 gives a perfect picture.
    DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D; AMD64 3500+ Winchester ;
    2x XFX 6600GT ; Corsair XMS3200XLPRO TWINX 1GB;
    Dell 2405FPW TFT.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rajagra
    Yes (see PM.)...Dropping to 1680 x 1050 inside HL2 gives a perfect picture.
    Yer, but as you said in PM, it's hardly the best way to show off a new SLI system is it? Kinda defeats the object of the screen being native 1920x1200... Hmph. Lol. Plus the fact that 1680x1050 looks a bit 'chunky' when you're dealing with a screen with that much area.

I just can't beleive that NVidia haven't fixed this yet - it looks like it's been a problem with quite a few revisions of the ForceWare - did they think people who want to run HDTV resolutions using DVI and SLI wouldn't mind that it didn't work?

I've yet to confirm whether it is a problem with DVI+HighRes+SLI, or just DVI+HighRes.. I'm gonna try disabling SLI tonight and run HL2, but I got the feeling it's not gonna be too smooth with only one 6800GT @ 1920x1200 32bit with all the goodies!

RE: the 60Hz... Yeah, the panel enforces 60Hz when running at 1920x1200, as I believe that's HDTV standard, might be wrong tho.

</chills>
    S.

Thanks
    Okay.. Given that it looks like I've got to live with this, what would you guys do?

1. Run a lower WideScreen resolution in games, and let the panel upscale/interpolate.

2. Don't run SLI.

3. Run games in 1600x1200 centered on screen, and lose the widescreen-ness.

4. Run DSUB instead of DVI.

Which of these is going to make the best of a poor situation, and give me the best quality display?

Thanks in advance for your opinions,
    S.

Thanks
    Which of these is going to make the best of a poor situation, and give me the best quality display?

run dsub instad of dvi?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skuzgib
    run dsub instad of dvi?
    Aye, that's the one I was leaning towards too - any other option seems like an awful waste of money.

Thanks for your vote!

There's no guarantee that using DSUB will cure all the issues, but I have heard it does in most cases, so I'll give it a go.

As you can tell, I'm a little bit peeved with this.. <now where can I get an 850XTPE...?>

S.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMagician

As you can tell, I'm a little bit peeved with this.. <now where can I get an 850XTPE...?>

S.
    Have to say I feel for ya mate - you seem to have had quite a few problems with this build.

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    BTW, tried the 76.46 or 76.50 drivers? They've given me good results with SLI in wow (much improved over 71.84).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher
    BTW, tried the 76.46 or 76.50 drivers? They've given me good results with SLI in wow (much improved over 71.84).
    I've read that the 76.50 drivers don't cure this problem, but if they're better than the 66.93's for other reasons, and stable, then perhaps I should give them a go anyways..

Quote Originally Posted by skuzgib
    ...Have to say I feel for ya mate - you seem to have had quite a few problems with this build...
    Lol.. Yup - mobo, PSU, and now this. I'm all for problem solving, but when NVidia themselves can't be bothered to get thier flagship products working in what is going to be an increasingly popular configuration, I dunno what to say...

S.

Thanks
    I tried using DSUB, and the quality compared to DVI was APPAWLING! A fair bit of ghosting, just not as crisp. So now I've resorted to disabling SLI, which is a shame, cos it means that one of the £275 graphics cards is sitting there doing sweet nothing.

Once again, thanks NVidia!

Arf.. lol.
    S.

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    I've had some instability issues with 76.46. Every time I power off overnight they break (any 3d locks up) requiring a reinstall. Trying 76.50 now, opefully they'll be better.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher
    I've had some instability issues with 76.46. Every time I power off overnight they break (any 3d locks up) requiring a reinstall. Trying 76.50 now, opefully they'll be better.
    Hmm.. That's why I don't like using beta drivers.. But thanks for letting me know.

As per my post @ #10, I've now stuck with 66.93's using DVI, but with SLI disabled. Things aren't quite as smooth, but I'm hoping they'll release a fix before I really need that second 6800GT to be part of the task.

I can re-enable SLI with a simple reboot anyway, so if I need SLI grunt, I'll just run non-widescreen. Not the point I know and I'm still angry, but moaning to NVidia to fix something is about as much use as a fart in a thunderstorm, it seems...

S.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rajagra
    Yes (see PM.) I get some noise onscreen (white dots / horizontal lines) when running HL2. But the Windows desktop is fine.
    Dropping to 1680 x 1050 inside HL2 gives a perfect picture.
    Update:
    Firstly, it wasn't perfect at the lower setting, just a lot better.
    More importantly, I've installed the 77.13 drivers, and the picture finally IS perfect, even at the highest res.
    DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D; AMD64 3500+ Winchester ;
    2x XFX 6600GT ; Corsair XMS3200XLPRO TWINX 1GB;
    Dell 2405FPW TFT.

Thread Information