Thread: Advise required please

Registered+
    Thanks

Advise required please

Evening guys, would like some advise please. Soon to receive new system from mesh with 2x 320 gig HDs and as ive ordered with vista.

1. How do I dual boot if thats correct, with xp on other HD so I can atleast use some of the potential 8800gtx due to the poor drivers/ incompatability out at the moment.

2. Or is there a better way as to the above for gaming.

3.As you can tell im not exactly literarate in computers but I would like suggestions on, I have my old rig 3400 athlon 1536mb memory x800xt could I have both old and new running on same 22"lcd monitor one using dvi and other vga, but im right in saying one can only be working at any ont time?

Thanks

Thanks
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2X4gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozuby View Post
    Evening guys, would like some advise please. Soon to receive new system from mesh with 2x 320 gig HDs and as ive ordered with vista.

1. How do I dual boot if thats correct, with xp on other HD so I can atleast use some of the potential 8800gtx due to the poor drivers/ incompatability out at the moment.

2. Or is there a better way as to the above for gaming.

3.As you can tell im not exactly literarate in computers but I would like suggestions on, I have my old rig 3400 athlon 1536mb memory x800xt could I have both old and new running on same 22"lcd monitor one using dvi and other vga, but im right in saying one can only be working at any ont time?

Thanks
    Well if you are going to have a raid setup, then my following advice is of probably no value (as I dont know anything about raid), but just in case your second hardisk is just for backup it might interest you or someone else.

Anyway it's probably not worth trying if Mess do not give you the vista install DVD, as if you install winxp on a second partition D:\ it could muck up the boot up for vista on C:\

Winxp boots up from ntdlr and vista has another bootup system, vista sorts this out correctly if you install winxp first......but problems can be solved though using a utility like Vistabootpro 3.1.

But the best system, IMO which I have, is to partition your hard disk into three...c:\ winxp, d:\vista, e:\ mp3s, jpgs, odds and sods, and image file of computer for restore. In your case E:\ could be a second hard drive.
    Last edited by excalibur2; 16-03-2007 at 01:59 AM. Reason: correction

Thread Information