Thread: Primary IDE Not Detected

Thanks

Unhappy Primary IDE Not Detected

I just built my first computer. I've got an Asus Commando mobo, Intel E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz, 1GB Corsair 6400C4, Corsair 620W PSU, LiteOn DVD w/Lightscribe (SATAII), WD800AVJB EIDE HD w/Windows XP and all latest updates, ATI X1550 PCIe16 GPU in an Antec 900 case. I've flashed the BIOS to the most current 1302 rev.

When I power-up the system, I get caught in an infinite loop... like "Groundhog Day" all over again. The first screen to come up is one with Jmicron controller info: PCIE to SATAII/IDE RAID Controller BIOS v1.06.64, then "HDD0: WD800AVJB 80GB" followed by "Press any key to continue". Then the start-up screen loads and the infinite loop begins: next screen is the "Windows was powered down improperly, etc., etc., start in Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/Networking, Last Know Good Config, Start Windows Normally, etc., and no matter what option I choose, it continues through that loop until I push the power button to shut it down. It did this before I flashed to the new BIOS, as well. Also, I’ve got another stick of RAM but didn’t install it because there’s a known problem with this board not recognizing it sometimes at initial start-up. I thought I’d get it running with the one, change the voltages, and then put in the other stick. I haven't changed the voltages yet, still 1.8v. I've cleared the CMOS to no avail.

When I go into set-up, it shows that the Primary IDE is "Not Detected", although the DVD (on the separate SATA controller) is detected. The thing I can't figure out is how that first screen is coming up showing the HD when in the set-up it shows "Not Detected". So, it sees it, but it doesn't. I get into the same loop even if I disconnect the DVD.

I've got 2 WD3200YS SATAII drives that are clean and that I plan on using in a RAID set-up, but I've not installed them in the system yet. The 80GB drive is out of an old computer and I was going to use it to update all the drivers, etc. before putting in the other 2 drives. Also, I've rethought and think I'm going to get another small SATAII drive to load the OS on and use the 320's for data only. Finally, even if I 86 the 80GB drive, I still need the IDE channel at least once to transfer data to the new drives.

The only thing I can think of is to pull the 80GB and put in one of the 320’s, load XP on it and then jump thru all the hoops with the drivers, firmware, etc. But, would that have any affect on the “Primary IDE” in the set-up? AND, I understand that SATA drives need at least SP1 to operate and my version of XP is pre-SP1 so am I stuck there, too? OR, is this board dingleberried and am I just gonna have to RMA the thing?

I’m sorry to have made this such a dissertation, but I wanted to give as much info as possible in hopes that someone might have an idea. Thanks a bunch for any help anyone might be able to offer.
    Last edited by DblsPlyr; 14-07-2007 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks
    • nimbu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • M3N78-EMH
      • CPU:
      • AMD 4050e
      • Memory:
      • 4GB (2x2GB) Cosair XMS DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 30GB Samsung SSD : 250GB Seagate ES
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Hyper Type R 550W Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec P180 Mini
    To me it sounds like you had a Windows install from another build on the 80GB WD. Is that correct??

If so, and you ahve no critical data on the 80Gb, I suggest a resinstall of windows with your current hardware config.
    MAIN BOX: 4200+ @2.75 : Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe: XP120 + Papst: 2Gb Mushkin Redline PC4000: 512MB 7950GT: 2x36GB WD Raptors in RAID 0:WD 420GB : NEC DVDR/RW: All Wrapped up in a Antec P180

Thanks
    Yes, that's correct. I was hoping I wouldn't have to jump thru that hoop. I've got data on there I'd like to get off. Come to think of it, I've got another 80Gb Seagate sitting around. I guess I could throw that in there and see what happens. At worst, I lose what little stuff is on it and I'm back where I started if it doesn't go, but, you're right, it might work. Thanks very much for the suggestion; I'll give it a shot.

Thread Information