Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: n00b built a PC, and it's all gone wrong!

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Re: n00b built a PC, and it's all gone wrong!

I think Memtest needs to be run also. If you're unsure as to the the proceedure just ask and someone can provide a step-by-step guide. It's not that hard.

I also think it's worth building the PC outside of the case. Using a nice piece of firm cardbox (like the case's box - that'd do nicely) to support it.

If memtest shows no errors, and you're still getting freezes outside of the case I'd suggest trying a cheap replacement graphics card (for testing) as this is another potential cause. It's highly unlikely to be the processor or PSU (given it's a quality PSU). The motherboard is the last option but you should try and confirm the errors still happen with different RAM (proves yours is ok), a different graphics card (to prove yours is ok) and building outside of the case (to prove a short in the electrics isn't the cause).

Method:

1) RUN MEMTEST NOW!!!!!!!!!!
    2) If ok, build PC outside of the case...If memtest gives an error, run the RAM in your mates PC to reproduce it there too, if you still get an error - return the RAM for replacement
    3) If you have i) no RAM error, ii) still have error with PC build outside of the case, then try a cheap graphics card. If the replacment graphics card makes the system stable, try the graphics card in your mates PC to reproduce the error there. If it moves with the graphics card, RMA the graphics card....

It's just logical deduction really...

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    I think Memtest needs to be run also. If you're unsure as to the the proceedure just ask and someone can provide a step-by-step guide. It's not that hard.

I also think it's worth building the PC outside of the case. Using a nice piece of firm cardbox (like the case's box - that'd do nicely) to support it.

If memtest shows no errors, and you're still getting freezes outside of the case I'd suggest trying a cheap replacement graphics card (for testing) as this is another potential cause. It's highly unlikely to be the processor or PSU (given it's a quality PSU). The motherboard is the last option but you should try and confirm the errors still happen with different RAM (proves yours is ok), a different graphics card (to prove yours is ok) and building outside of the case (to prove a short in the electrics isn't the cause).

Method:

1) RUN MEMTEST NOW!!!!!!!!!!
    2) If ok, build PC outside of the case...If memtest gives an error, run the RAM in your mates PC to reproduce it there too, if you still get an error - return the RAM for replacement
    3) If you have i) no RAM error, ii) still have error with PC build outside of the case, then try a cheap graphics card. If the replacment graphics card makes the system stable, try the graphics card in your mates PC to reproduce the error there. If it moves with the graphics card, RMA the graphics card....

It's just logical deduction really...
    You forgot

4) Profit!

Thanks
    • ss3goben's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1 HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 4870
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Real Power M1000
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Ultimate

I hear you all, the general consensus is run bloody Memtest lol, which I would love to do but I'm no longer getting any signal to the monitor. The tower powers up, but the HDD seems to do nothing, and nothing appears on the monitor. I have passed all these comments on to my friend, who has agreed to use all the parts of his PC, in order to ascertain any faulty component. As soon as I can get an actual signal, I will run memtest.

Again, thanks for all the help so far, I am due to lark about with my mate again this Friday, and will keep you posted on any developments.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    You forgot

4) Profit!

lol - hope i'm not the only one to get that

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information