• Antec 430w
      • Case:
      • Antec Fusion V2
      • Monitor(s):
      • Panny 42"
      • Internet:
      • BT crap Option3 "unlimited" my ass

AOL software advice please

A friend of mine is finally moving from AOL dial up to broadband. He has decided to go for AOL broadband (against my advice) but there you go. He asked me to format his family PC which had the bundled AOL login/browser software installed.
    Now he wants to know how to access his AOL screen name home for favourites and whatever else he had on it. If he goes to the AOL web homepage then he can access his AOL email etc but obviously its not the same as the previous "My AOL" type screen he had.
    He wants to run the AOL disc to install the software which I advised him against as it installs cr*p everywhere and is hard to get rid of. If he does install it, will he be able to acces his AOL favourites etc or has it all gone when the PC was formatted? Is there any way for him to access his AOl stuff without installing the cr*p?

PS I hate AOL

Thanks
    'puter noob extraordinaire

Registered+
    Thanks
    • chrimbow's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit ANM2HD
      • CPU:
      • AMD 6000 3ghzx2
      • Memory:
      • 2gb OCZ Platinum Revision 2
      • Storage:
      • 2x Samsung 500gb Spinpoints
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Mobo
      • PSU:
      • Antec 430w
      • Case:
      • Antec Fusion V2
      • Monitor(s):
      • Panny 42"
      • Internet:

Re: AOL software advice please

I should add that other members of the family have screen names and I would imagine they used the AOL browser thing for favourites etc so have they lost their stuff?

I did tell then to back everything up before I wiped it...
    Last edited by chrimbow; 01-09-2008 at 08:16 PM.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

AOL is a closed network - you log onto AOL - which then has a gateway to the internet - so some of the protocols and settings are different - for example MTU. He would be better installing the AOL software to gain access.

However, I think that when the disk was formatted, all the configuration files for his favourites will have been destroyed.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Registered+
    Thanks
    • chrimbow's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit ANM2HD
      • CPU:
      • AMD 6000 3ghzx2
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Mobo
      • PSU:
      • Antec 430w
      • Case:
      • Antec Fusion V2
      • Monitor(s):
      • Panny 42"
      • Internet:

Hmm interesting, sounds like his stuff could be lost then
    I didnt know they had specific settings aswell. Anyone have tips on what I need to change if he doesnt install the software from AOl?

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Taken from the AOL site...

What are the essential settings for connecting to AOL?

When setting up a router, you will be prompted to enter certain details that govern the type of connection you establish. Depending on the hardware you have, the way in which you enter these details may differ. However, you are likely to be prompted to enter them during the installation of your router and also a wireless adapter, should you choose to use a wireless setup.

Some router installation guides will automatically enter some of these details. Therefore, you may not be prompted for them all. In other cases, the options will be named differently. If you experience problems setting up your chosen home networking solution, you should refer to the documentation included with the device.

Required Details:
    Connection Protocol: PPPoE
    VPI: 0
    VCI: 38
    Note that sometimes you will be asked for both figures together (VPI/VCI). In that instance, you enter them separated by a comma: 0,38
    Username: yourscreenname@aol.com
    Password: youraolpassword

Please read these important guidelines about screen names and passwords used to configure a router to sign on to AOL.

MTU Setting: MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) defines the largest data packet size you can transmit in one go across a network. The AOL network runs at an MTU of 1400. Many routers have inbuilt auto-configurations where the hardware identifies that the AOL traffic has an MTU of 1400 and dynamically adjusts. Alternatively you may have to manually change the MTU setting on the modem router.

If the router hardware does not have this facility, the MTU setting can manually be changed on the computer to 1400.

You can change the MTU setting on your computer by using DrTCP. This is a free software utility that is a shortcut to editing your registry. This is available at: http://www.broadbandreports.com/drtcp.

MRU Setting: MRU (Maximum Routing Unit) is required by some modem routers and should be set to the same value as the MTU of 1400.

MSS Setting: MSS (Maximum Segment Size) is required by some modem routers and dynamically adjusts the packet size to fit the MTU. It should be set to 1410.

Wireless Settings:
    When configuring a wireless router, you may also be prompted for the following:
    SSID: This is the 'name' of the router that you are using and is used by wireless adapters when they attempt to establish a connection.
    WEP Key: The WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) key is the equivalent of a password on your router. Depending on your setup, it may be necessary to define one of these and ensure that any wireless adapters that connect to the router have the same key in their settings.
    Network Type: There are a number of possible choices available here, but, if the option is available, you should choose Base Station.

Do I need to change my AOL sign-on location when I have a home network?
    Your location on the AOL Sign-On Screen should be set to ISP/LAN Connection when you use a home network to connect to AOL Broadband.
    What is a DSL filter?
    A DSL Filter is a small adapter that splits the voice signals and the Broadband Internet signals. Unless you already have such filters built into your phone sockets, these are essential in order to receive broadband through your phone line.
    Do I still need to use DSL filters with my home network?
    Yes, as with any broadband connection, unless you already have such filters built into your phone sockets, you must have a DSL filter attached to every phone socket in your house. If you don't, it can affect the quality of your broadband service.
    How can I prevent my children from accessing external browsers or inappropriate content if I have home networking set up?

AOL 9.0 provides you with the ability to 'lock down' your Internet connection using Internet Access Controls, which work alongside the Parental Controls provided within the AOL service. Internet Access Controls give you an added layer of security to help prevent children from using external browsers or other Internet access programs, such as file-sharing software, which can lead to inappropriate content being seen.

When setting up a home network through a modem router connection, the AOL Screen Name used for setting up the modem router and accessing the Web needs to have General (18+) access. It is this AOL Screen Name that actually establishes the connection and, as such, it cannot be restricted - so Mature Teen, Young Teen and Kids Only Screen Names will not work on the modem router setup.

When using a home network, parents should ensure that Internet Access Controls are installed and activated on all computers linked to that network. This will allow Parental Controls to restrict Web access. Children's Internet usage should be supervised at all times. Once you have installed the AOL software which will be sent to you once you've registered for AOL Broadband, please visit AOL Keyword: Parental Controls for more information.
    How can I make my wireless network more secure?

A wireless network may be unrestricted by the walls of your house, allowing you to use your laptop in your garden. However, unless you add security measures, it's technically possible for nearby households to access your broadband connection and see what you're doing online. AOL will help you to take the steps to increase the security of your home network.

A few simple steps are necessary to help protect your network from unwanted access:
    Ensure that the security features available on your modem router are turned on. Security features are often switched off by default when you purchase your modem router.
    If your modem router has wireless capabilities but you do not wish initially to connect computers wirelessly, you should ensure that this is disabled. Many modem routers have wireless networking turned on by default.
    When setting up your modem router, you should select a personal name for your network, called an SSID, or network name. This identifies your wireless network as your own, if there are a number of networks available locally. For example, when connecting a computer to your wireless network, you may be able to identify a neighbour's wireless network in the area. If you personalise the name of your wireless network, it will be easy to recognise. Ensure that you make a note of your SSID for future reference.

We recommend setting up WPA encryption on your modem router. Encryption 'scrambles' data as it passes over your wireless network, preventing unauthorised users from accessing your network. You must set up encryption on each wireless adapter you are using to connect computers to your network.

For added security, all the computers connected to your home network should have up-to-date personal firewalls and anti-virus software installed and enabled.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Registered+
    Thanks
    • chrimbow's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit ANM2HD
      • CPU:
      • AMD 6000 3ghzx2
      • Memory:
      • Storage: