Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSU Basic Knowledge

Marketing Manager - Antec Frank Lee's Avatar
    Thanks

PSU Basic Knowledge

Hello Everyone,

Antec would like to announce that we will try to increase our customer service by becoming a forum member. We hope we will also have our forum link up soon so that we my continue to improve our availability in answering questions.

With that said, we would like to provide you with information on PSU Basic Knowledge. Thanks for your support.

Q:What is Universal Input?

A:Universal Input means that the power supply (PSU) can be used in any country around the world, with any input voltage from 90~240VAC, without adjusting an input power selector switch.

Q:What is Active PFC and what are the benefits?

A:Without Power Factor Correction (PFC), the normal power factor for a PSU is less than 0.6, which makes it more difficult for the power plant to distribute electricity. Passive PFC can boost the power factor to around 0.7, but that is not a significant improvement. Active PFC can achieve 0.99 and increase the efficiency of the power plant 40%. This is very important in an environmental friendly era.

Q:What is the purpose of electromagnetic interference (EMI) filtering in a power supply?

A:An EMI filter is a required circuit for a PSU. The better the PSU, the better its EMI filter will be designed. The filter’s first job is to prevent the PSU noise from interfering with other electronic devices. Second, it prevents electromagnetic noise from the power grid and other devices from getting into the PSU. When using a bad PSU, there can be “snow” on the monitor and any nearby TV, or there may be static on the radio.

Q:What are Double Forward Converter circuits and their benefits?

A: Double Forward is the current mainstream of PSU design. It is has many advantages such as high efficiency, low failure rate and high Wattage. The design that it replaced is called Half-bridge. The old design had the advantage of low cost, but the wattage and efficiency could not be improved. Only low end systems are still using Half-bridge design.
    • When the circuit is off, each transistor is subject to half the load present in older designs.
    • When the circuit is goes into its off-state, leakage inductance spikes are clamped.

Q:What are the benefits of Double Layer circuit board design?

A: Double Layer has several benefits. The only drawback is higher cost.
    1. An increase in copper foil area decreases loss in current flow.
    2. Makes printed circuit board (PCB) layout easier and components can be arranged better.
    3. Fewer jumpers, faster component insertion and easier board assembly.
    4. Prevents solder cracking when using heavy components.
    5. Better EMI performance.

Q:For an induction coil, what is the effect of the cross-sectional area of the copper cable?

A:Coils are measured by inductance. For two coils with the same inductance, it is better to use thicker wire. And with the same wattage, it is better with larger adaptor, larger induction coil or larger copper wire.

Q:Is the capacitor an important factor to the life circle of PSU?

A:Capacitors are probably the single most critical component. Using high capacity, high voltage ratings, and low ESR capacitors can greatly improve the PSU life circle. Selecting components with high heat ratings will also enhance the longevity of the unit. Some of the best quality components are of Japanese manufacture.

Q: Does the temperature inside the PSU affect the output efficiency and life circle?

A:Temperature greatly affects the life circle of many components, such as capacitors, resistors, fans, etc. If the temperature increases 10°C, the PSU’s lifetime will decrease by half. For example, if an output capacitor normally has a 3000 hours lifetime at 105°C; then at 95°C it can work 6000 hrs; and 96000 hours at 55°C. For efficiency, it is a different situation. Some components have higher efficiency at low temperature and some perform better when hot. For example, metallic oxide semiconductor field effect transistors (MOSFET) have higher efficiency at lower temperatures.

Q:What are the differences between DC to DC circuit and general Magnetic Amplifier Circuit?

A: DC to DC is going to be the main stream for future high-end PSU, and has the following benefits:
    1. Since all of the 12 volt rails and other independent voltages ultimately start from a single 12V power supply, the min. load of 12V, 5V and 3.3V can be very small or zero. Because there is no min. load, it will not cause compatibility issues in different systems. Since 5V and 3.3V are transferred from 12V, there are always indirect load to 12V from one of each.
    2. Antec has many power supplies designed with a main 12V core that gets broken out for separate rails. Since all power in our DC to DC design flows from the primary 12V core, all of the voltage rails can share from the same input pool of current for an optimal distribution of power at all times and across all voltages.
    3. The DC to DC module uses low voltage MOSFET transistors which have low on-state loss. When transforming 12v to 5v or 3.3v, Magnetic Amplifier Circuits have 70 – 80% efficiency, but DC to DC can reach 90% or higher. It is more environmental friendly.

Q:How is a pulse-width modulation (PWM) fan quieter than a regular fan?

A: PWM fans can run from 15% to 100% of their maximum speed. However, a traditional voltage control fan can only run from 35% to 90% of its maximum speed. Using a PWM fan and running the PSU at 50% load or less, the PSU will be much quieter. Any power supply running at high load will need to run its fan at high speed and will be audible.

Q:What is synchronous rectification and what is its effect on the overall efficiency of the PSU?

A:Synchronous rectification uses low voltage MOSFETs instead of a general rectifier, so its on-state resistance is lower. Synchronous rectification has lower loss so less heat is generated and efficiency is improved.

Q:What is the effect of using DC to DC on the output voltages?

A:The working frequency of a DC to DC voltage regulator module (VRM) is much higher than a Magnetic Amplifier Circuit. That means a DC to DC circuit can provide transient response times as low as 10 microseconds on rails controlled by the VRM. That’s a hundred times faster than standard power supply response times of 1 millisecond (1000 microseconds). This makes the output voltage more stable on the 5v and 3.3v rails, even if the load changes rapidly, and helps protect sensitive components.

Q:Are multiple +12V outputs PSU more stable and reliable than single +12V output PSU?

A:Multiple +12V outputs are mainly used for safety protection. Each output keeps the current within a safe range. Single +12V output is an old design; it is used to avoid wrong activating of protection circuit by mass power consuming from video card. However, it is very dangerous, because when short happens in any component; there will be no over-current protection. It is easy to cause fire, so Antec’s PSUs use multiple +12V outputs to avoid this danger. Some companies try to perpetuate a myth that power can be “trapped” on a rail. That’s just wrong. Each rail has its own circuitry for the protection of the PSU and the devices connected to it, but there’s no way one rail can limit the total power available on the others.

Q:In regards to the size of DC output cable, is bigger always better?

A:Basically, yes. However, there is still a cost/performance value which should be met and there are also electrical limitations of other components in your computer. Where larger amounts of current are required by components such as graphics cards, multiple wires tend to be used instead of one huge wire. One of the reasons for that has to do with how much current can flow into a motherboard or other printed circuit board at a single point. You gain more contact surface area for lower resistance and more connectors increase reliability of the connection due to redundancy.

Q:What is the 80 PLUS® standard?

A:From the 80 PLUS website, the 80 PLUS program is a unique forum that unites electric utilities, the computer industry and consumers in an effort to bring energy efficient technology solutions to the marketplace.
    The 80 PLUS standard has four classes: Standard/Bronze/Silver/Gold. Below is the information table. The basic principle is the efficiency must be at least 80% when the PSU is running at 20% load or higher.

Fraction of Rated Load 20% 50% 100%
    80 PLUS 80% 80% 80%
    80 PLUS Bronze 82% 85% 82%
    80 PLUS Silver 85% 88% 85%
    80 PLUS Gold 87% 90% 87%

Q:Is dual PCB better than single PCB?

A:Yes. Dual PCB designs have more flexibility to arrange components and create an efficient air flow. Compared to single PCB, it will have better cooling efficiency.

Q:How do I pick a good PSU?

A:It is not easy for a general user to judge if a PSU is good or not. Here are some principles.
    1. Choose a well-known brand.
    2. Has the PSU passed safety certifications?
    3. Is the wattage number the value for peak output or continuous output? Continuous is better.
    4. Compare the weight with other similar products to see if it is too light.
    5. (Not suitable for passive PFC power supply)
    6. Compare the internal components, if they have size difference.
    7. Does the PSU have the 80 PLUS certification.

Q:What is the meaning and differences of working temperature of a PSU?

A:Generally the working temperature of PSUs in the market is around 25℃ (environmental temperature). However, inside a case, because of CPU and video card, the temperature is usually higher than 25℃ (environmental temperature).

Q:Why is Antec’s Signature PSU more expensive than other companies’ products?

A:Antec started to design this series based on server standards, and then went beyond. All the components are the best choices and we also added many new designs seen here for the first time in a consumer power supply. The highest quality components. Insane levels of craftsmanship. Brilliant design. Cutting edge features. Put all of that together and you have the power supply equivalent of a high-end race car. Car companies build race cars in order to push automotive technology to new heights. Tough reviewers have noted that the Signature excels in absolutely every aspect of performance, and several reviewers have said that they have never seen a better PSU, ever. It’s also built to last; at 50℃ and running 24 hrs. at full load, we guarantee it for five years. Based on performance, this is not an expensive PSU. Think of it as a race car that you can afford!

Q:Why are there so many models of PSU with the 80 PLUS label when there aren’t anywhere near that many power supplies listed on the 80 PLUS website?

A:To avoid fake certification, please check with the 80 PLUS official website to see if the products are on the certificate lists or not.

1.Some companies will also change the hardware design to pass the certification, and then the products they send to market don’t meet the standard. Here are some of the tricks:
    • Cable length of test unit is shorter than the real product.
    • Thicker wires are used for testing. After passing the test, the design is changed.
    • Better electronic components are installed in the units sent for testing (or units are tested and hand-picked).
    • Use better fans and heatsinks or adjust the fan voltage in the cooling system.
    • Change EMI design or add jumper under it.

2.It is really difficult for users to determine the internal design. The best way to choose is to select a well-known brand, do comparisons and read reviews.
    Last edited by Frank Lee; 23-12-2008 at 05:39 AM.

2. Received thanks from:

0iD (23-12-2008)

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

Re: PSU Basic Knowledge

...SPAAAAAM!!

That is certainly the most comprehensive first post I've seen yet

Welcome to the forum. Do we have europe based warranty from Antec yet or when will we? As good as your service is it can be frustrating waiting over 2 weeks for parts to get here.

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by staffsMike View Post
    ...SPAAAAAM!!
    lol, if it was spam, it is the most informative and useful piece of spam ever, in fact it may go in my sig...

Welcome to HEXUS mate

edit: sigged
    Last edited by TAKTAK; 23-12-2008 at 12:51 AM.
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

Marketing Manager - Antec Frank Lee's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by staffsMike View Post
    ...SPAAAAAM!!

That is certainly the most comprehensive first post I've seen yet

Welcome to the forum. Do we have europe based warranty from Antec yet or when will we? As good as your service is it can be frustrating waiting over 2 weeks for parts to get here.
    Hi staffsMike,

As of now, we do have a European support branch that runs out of Rotterdam. If possible, the quickest way to resolve this issue would be to take the item back to the retailer. I'm sorry for the inconvenience of the wait, I will see if there is any other way take care of the extended turn around period.

Thank you for the warm welcome, I hope we can be more help to the user community.

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

Quote Originally Posted by Antec_rep View Post
    Hi staffsMike,

As of now, we do have a European support branch that runs out of Rotterdam. If possible, the quickest way to resolve this issue would be to take the item back to the retailer. I'm sorry for the inconvenience of the wait, I will see if there is any other way take care of the extended turn around period.

Thank you for the warm welcome, I hope we can be more help to the user community.
    It's not much of an inconvenience really, well not to me.

The only time I've actually needed to use your support was to get a new cable for my notebook cooler, and that was out of warranty so I was very suprised to get one at all. Waiting for it was no problem in this circumstance and the customer service was excellent.

Thanks

Nice post, welcome.

Thanks
    • Haiku32's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.0gHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 8800GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 520W
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 20" + LG 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 16Mb

Banned
    Thanks

Smile Re: PSU Basic Knowledge

I put something like that on my Christmas cards. Can't wait for more.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

any particualr reason Antec never got their own forum section or is this still in the pipeline?

Thanks
    • strike-down's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Formula
      • CPU:
      • i7-4770k/H100i
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair Dominator Plat 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 2x Samsung 850 pro RAID1, 2x HGST 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX980 STRIX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • CM Storm Trooper
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XB270H
      • Internet:
      • EE Fibre

or why hasnt this particular 'rep' got any more posts now? doesnt seem particularly active. Increase customer support? HA!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    any particualr reason Antec never got their own forum section or is this still in the pipeline?
    Quote Originally Posted by strike-down View Post
    or why hasnt this particular 'rep' got any more posts now? doesnt seem particularly active. Increase customer support? HA!
    It may be, for example, that there's a discussion going on between Hexus and Antec and he's been asked to hold off while it happens. Or not. I don't know. I do know it's being dealt with.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by strike-down View Post
    Maybe if they had their own section there wud be

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    It may be, for example, that there's a discussion going on between Hexus and Antec and he's been asked to hold off while it happens. Or not. I don't know. I do know it's being dealt with.
    Cheers dude

Thanks
    • strike-down's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Formula
      • CPU:
      • i7-4770k/H100i
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair Dominator Plat 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 2x Samsung 850 pro RAID1, 2x HGST 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX980 STRIX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • CM Storm Trooper
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XB270H
      • Internet:
      • EE Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    ahh thats fair enough, just seems a little odd someone joining up as a rep, posting a load of information, answering 2 or 3 posts, then disappearing into thin air.

So if what you said is the case, then all well and good, and nice to see some more support forums from companies and my previous comments can be considered withdrawn

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

Well.....i must admit, i almost ALWAYS use Antec cases for my builds and for builds for other people as they are excellent.

Antec PSUs though, wouldnt even come in my Top 5.

S1R
    Registered+
    Thanks
    • S1R's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.7 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 6GB DDR3 @ 8-8-8-24
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 + 640GB WD Elements
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 1GB 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SM2493HM + Dell 20"

Great info, but just as above, I've never really used an Antec PSU. The Signature series blows my mind with the pricing stategies o_o...

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

I've been recommending them for a long time but must admit I've never used one. The one time I almost got one.. I got a corsair instead.

The earthwatts seem to get pretty good reviews but you do seem to hear about faliures after around a year on older units. I would use one for myself but perhaps would put one in a friends PC.

Thread Information