Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD Phenom II X4 995 Low Core Speed

Thanks

AMD Phenom II X4 995 Low Core Speed

Hello.

I recently purchased a new computer. After installing the OS (Windows XP x32) and some drivers, I opened the system properties and discovered that my processor (AMD Phenom II X4 995) was only running at 803MHZ. From what I understand this is much lower than it should be.

I look up this problem and someone seemed to think that this was due to AMD’s “Cool’n’Quiet” feature, and that when needed, the core speed would increase. I disabled Cool’n’Quiet from the BIOS, however the system properties still displayed 803MHZ.

I also downloaded “cpu-z” and “prime95” to test the core speed more accurately. After running prime95 for ten minutes there was no change in core speed despite 100% CPU Usage in task manager. The full report of cpu-z can be found here:

ht tp://stashbox.org/664211/MY-PC.txt

Finally, I attempted to update my drivers, and BIOS (with the FOX LiveUpdate tool), but it has proven inconsequential.

Please forgive me if I have used some terms inappropriately as I am VERY new to computer hardware. I am also unsure if I performed the steps I have stated accurately. If you have a solution please explain it in easy to understand language. If you need any more information I’d be happy to provide it (assuming I know how to come by it).

Thanks

Re: AMD Phenom II X4 995 Low Core Speed

I would go into the BIOS and turn off cool and quiet and see what you get then.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

most certainly it will be the power management features as already mentioned. I'd leave it on though if i was you and save some power on the 'leccy bill and it will still run at its full speed, but only when it needs to
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks

You should leave it enabled in my opinion as it significantly reduces power consumption/heat produced and disabling it has no real advantage. You could try some form of benchmark like wPrime and post the results - if your CPU was running at that clock there would be a huge difference in performance which would show in a benchmark.

Edit: You should be getting around 12.17 seconds for that CPU in wPrime 32M according to cpu-world.com
    Last edited by watercooled; 17-10-2009 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks
    • nibbler's system
      • CPU:
      • i5-2410m
      • Memory:
      • 6GB ddr3 1333mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Plextor M5S SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB 6650M
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit

Welcome to Hexus ^^
    This seems to be a very common problem on this forum...

Thanks

Thank you for your replies.

I had already tested to see if there was any difference in core speed between running cool and quiet and not, but there was none.

I did turn cool and quiet back on, but what about the core speed problem?

I download wPrime and ran the 32M. The test took 50.5 seconds.

Thanks

Yeah it seems it is actually running at that speed. To support AM3 CPUs most AM2+ boards need to have the BIOS flashed. Also in that cpu-z report it says your CPU is AM2+. Also check if your CPU is on the motherboard's supported list (although it doesn't need to be) and ensure you have the latest BIOS version.

Thanks

I think I might be onto something...

On the computer shop's website the processor is stated to be a "AMD Phenom X4 9950". On the sheet given to me by them the processor is stated to be an "AMD phenom 995". It has taken me a while to work out that that processor does not exist. What they have in fact put in is an "AMD Phenom II X4 955". Maybe you can now understand some of my confusion.

My motherboard is a FOXCONN M61PMV. I went to the FOXCONN website to see if it supports my processor, and it does not appear to. I downloaded a tool from their website which (apparently) can detect if I have the latest BIOS version, and download it for me if I do not. It says that I do have the latest version.

What should I do now? Will they ever release a new BIOS which will let me use this processor?
    Should I go back to the place I bought the computer and tell them? Can they legally take away the processor which they didn't mean to give me?
    Or should I try to get a new motherboard from somewhere else? I would have no idea on how to install it though...

Actuary & Gamer
    Thanks
    • Champman99's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aus P8P67 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel SB Core i5 2500K @ 4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Samsung F1 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD/ATI Radeon 7970 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster RealPower 1000W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T Graphite (White Edition)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Dell U2412M (Eyefinity)
      • Internet:
      • Sky Broadband Unlimited (No FUP!)

Well the Phenom II's are far superior to the first generation Phenoms, that much is for sure. I'm not really sure where you stand legally - but you could always ebay the Phenom II for a pretty penny, and buy a compatible processor with the proceeds (and have some $$ left over I would think).

Other option is of course buying a new motherboard, but you'll want to check all the other bits of the PC work with the new motherboard as well. Although you say you dont feel confident doing this, there are plenty of guides around, and once you have done your first self-build you'll never look back

Thanks

I thought you just mis-typed the CPU name at first because like you said it doesn't exist. Personally I would hang on to that CPU since it's a very good one and if you needed to buy new hardware I'd get a new motherboard - something like this would be great http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/MSI-7...dio-GB-LAN-ATX
    Also even though that says you have the latest BIOS there might be new/BETA BIOS versions out that you would have to flash manually. Check the motherboard's page on the MFR's website and check the downloads bit for firmware/BIOS updates and in the notes there should be one that adds AM3 support.
    Hope you get it sorted!!

Thanks
    • $eamonk3y's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Sapphire - The one with the AM3 slot and crossfire
      • CPU:
      • AMD X4 Phenom II 955 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 3TB overall
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4890
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Scout
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Prof
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo 24"
      • Internet:
      • The slowest broadband in the WORLD

I have this exact problem with my computer. I have the same processor but different motherboard - a sapphire one rather than the one you have. I need to flash my BIOS but need some instructions. Any help?
    Thanks.
    Motherboard is PURE CrossFireX 790GX and what I've tried so far is to go to the website and download the correct version of the update (windows 7 64 bit) but when I try to install it says not compatible with 64 bit! Do you think its because I have a trial windows 7 or perhaps i need to somehow manually remove my BIOSs protection or something?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nah it's just the Windows flash program doesn't work but you can still flash before booting into Windows - firstly find a spare flash drive (or just move stuff off one so you can use it) then follow the instructions on this page to make it bootable: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/19...oot-drive.html
    Then you will want the latest BIOS for you motherboard - download from this page (sorry that's not a direct link but enter your system details to arrive at the page I mean) the one that says 'update AGESA code for new CPU - 2009/8/26' to your computer and extract the contents to the flash drive you just made bootable. Then reboot your computer and go into the boot menu/edit boot sequence in BIOS so your flash drive boots first. When you arrive at the prompt type FLASH.bat and press enter and follow any instructions on screen.
    Hope this helps.

13. Received thanks from:

$eamonk3y (19-10-2009)

Thanks

Turns out that the motherboard's website hadn't updated their bios version in the section that I was looking in. The newest one also mentioned something about updating AGESA code for new CPU. I managed to update my bios, but it has had no effect. There were also some "System & Chipset Drivers" in that section. I'm currently downloading them, but it will take another 2 hours.

Oh and $eamonk3y, I did in fact read your previous thread in this forum (which was why I posted here). Just now you mentioned something about manually removing your BIOSs protection. I noticed a setting somewhere that said something like "BIOS Write Protection". I'm guessing that you have to set this to disabled in order to update.

Thanks
    • $eamonk3y's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Sapphire - The one with the AM3 slot and crossfire
      • CPU:
      • AMD X4 Phenom II 955 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 3TB overall
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4890
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Scout
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Prof
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo 24"
      • Internet:
      • The slowest broadband in the WORLD

I've got mine working now

I followed watercooled's instructions and updated my BIOS. I just had to type the name of the .BAT file rather than FLASH.BAT. My motherboard manual said to do that so you may want to check that.

When I next turned my computer on I had this error and couldn't get into Windows or even BIOS - it said that there was something wrong with a thing called CMOS.

I opened up my computer and on my motherboard there was a button that said CMOS - when I pressed that it solved the problem I was having.

My computer now runs at 800MHz when I'm doing simple things but if I have CPU-Z open, I can see it jump up to 3.2GHz now even with cool and quiet enabled.

Hope you can make it work too! If you need any more information about what I did, just post.

Oh - and i found the BIOS write protection - it was just called Virus boot detection or something like that...

Thanks

Just wanted to add, after updating BIOS be sure to load optimised/default values for CMOS settings (should be in setup menu, hold del or something to enter) then have a quick check through and make sure everything is OK.

Thanks

Drivers did nothing...

I loaded the Optimised Defaults in CMOS, though there's been no change. I had a look around as well, but I didn't see anything that looked strange (though I probably wouldn't be able to tell).

So there was a button in your motherboard labelled CMOS? I opened mine but I didn't find any buttons at all.

Not sure what to do now. I had 7 days to notify the computer store if there was something wrong with it, and it'll be a week tomorrow. If I can't get it working by then I guess I'll just take it back... Can't really afford to get a new motherboard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information