Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell Monitor Problem?

Registered+
    Thanks

Dell Monitor Problem?

Hey all.

It's only been about 6 months since I built this rig which I'm running vista 64 Home Premium. When I build it I decided to treat myself to a new monitor at the same time and chose the 22" Dell 2209WA.

I've had no problems with the monitor until yesterday. I was using it fine for a good few hours, then I went to do something else, so shut all background programmes down, left the pc on and just turned the monitor off as I always do when not using the pc but leaving it running idle.

When I returned about an hour later to use the pc again, I turned the monitor back on to find the screen had darkened. At first I thought it was just my eyes going crazy, but after sitting there for a while loading up web pages etc I realised something wasn't right.

So I did the usual thing and updated my gfx driver which I hadn't done for about a month anyway (I have an ati 4870 btw). Once I sorted that the pc did it's reboot and hey presto the screen was bright again....however, I noticed after a few minutes the screen brightness was flickering, dark then bright, sometimes doing it quite a bit, other times being fine for a while. Anyway, long story even longer, I decided to leave it for the night and see if it just needed a break - on booting it up tonight I find the screen has gone darker again.

I've checked the gfx is housed correct and I've checked the cabling/power to the monitor (although I don't have another dvi lead to properly rule the cable out), and I've uninstalled/installed the new driver update again...but it's the same.

Last point of call is for me to re-install Vista to see if it might be a file/driver screw up somewhere. Obviously I don't want to go to that lengths if it's the monitor at fault. I've read the back light bulbs can go and such, just wondering what your thoughts on it were? As I said it was working perfect and I've had no issue up till now, so can't see how it can suddenly go faulty within an hour of it being unused?

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1x480GB SSD, 1x 2TB Hybrid, 1x 3TB Rust Spinner
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

Re: Dell Monitor Problem?

sounds like the backlight is on the blink to be honest, if you turn your room lights off at night when the screen is dark can you see anything on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

Registered+
    Thanks

sounds like the backlight is on the blink to be honest, if you turn your room lights off at night when the screen is dark can you see anything on it?
    Tbh the screen hasn't gone totally dark. I can still see the screen ok (I'm using it now), it's just way darker in brightness than it used to be...but it isn't totally impossible to see anything.

Think I might pick up a dvi cable tomorrow to rule that out. As a side note the monitor has a option called LCD conditioning, which basically scrolls screen colours to see faults I guess. When it gets to the bright colours - yellow, white etc - the bottom of the screen goes crazy, with fuzzy broken lines. Seems faulty, but we'll see.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Could be the backilight or the backlight inverter. I had one fail, turned out to be a capacitor which I replaced. As MadduckUK says, can you see an image either in a dark room, or by looking at the monitor in day light, at an angle? If you can, then it is the backlight or inverter. How old is the monitor?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    How old is the monitor?
    about 6 months old
    Vodka

Registered+
    Thanks

Sorry I don't know whether I explained badly. The screen hasn't gone completely dark. I've seen monitors at work when the back light goes and you can hardly see anything on it unless you look at it really close. This is different...

The monitor as normal used to have a nice bright screen, now it's gone dim with a bit of a yellow hue to it, I can still use the monitor, see the screen and see text etc in normal light.

Best way I can describe how it looks atm is it's kind of like when a screen has a screen saving/power saving option where it dims the screen after sitting idle for a while. Of course also it flickers if I have any pages/programmes open with a white backdrop. Something isn't right somewhere.

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

ah i see, sounds like a colour channel isnt getting to the monitor for whatever reason, which could be card - cable- monitor, if you are using dvi can you check quickly with a vga cable if that works better? it woldnt discount any of the faults entirely but at least it isnt completely fubar

after that you will need to try a different dvi cable (being really presumptious that that is what you are using but meh)
    if that doesnt solve it then we have problems, your going to have to try it in the other dvi port on the back of your 4870
    and if that doesnt work your going to have to try a different monitor

used to get the yellow tinge to monitors when people would kick the cables out slightly at work, no dimming though but i presume that is a crt -> tft difference, maybe more so with a high-end one like yours
    Vodka

Thanks
    • sadbuttrue's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P55 UD5
      • CPU:
      • i5 750 @ 3.8ghz + Megahalems + GT1450 @ 5v
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill ECO 4GB 1.4v
      • Storage:
      • Intel 320 120gb + Samsung F4 2tb in Scythe Quiet Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 @ 940/1350/1.175v + Shaman @ 20%
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Case:
      • Raven RV02 with 3xPhobya G-Silent Fans @ 210rpm + Scythe S-Flex 1200 @ 5v
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2233rz, Dell 2209wa, Panasonic AX200 Projector
      • Internet:
      • BeThere 24mb

I had the exact same problem with my 2209wa when connecting a Panasonic HDMI Freeview player to it. It looks similar to the power saving mode on the xbox 360, but much dimmer and with far less contrast. The same cables used work fine with every other device. Whatever software/hardware fault is causing this problem for me has probably been permanently enabled on your monitor.

Registered+
    Thanks

Ok, here's where I'm at with this.

I actually have a dual screen (extended, not copy) set up from my pc with my hdtv as 2nd source to watch movies and stuff. This is connected to the same 4870 through the second dvi out on the back. It's actually connected via hdmi (dvi to hdmi converter from the card). So my theory was I could check the contrast/colour/brightness on that screen to rule out the pc and card. After putting the tv on the right channel it looked normal, everything looked fine.

So on coming home tonight I thought I'd try my vga cable from my old monitor as I don't have a spare Dvi lying around. For some reason though on boot up once it got to the windows log on screen the monitor would turn off saying that their was no signal going to it, even though I could hear the vista logo sound going off.....probably just a setting or something, but without being able to see it's kinda hard to sort it out!

So I've put the dvi connection back in for now and I'll have to try and see if someone at work has one I can borrow or something.

But in terms of progress I am guessing as my 2nd screen didn't appear to be suffering from the same dimness, I can rule out pc hardware/driver failure at least?

Thanks
    • arthurleung's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E (Rampage Formula 0902)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 3.6Ghz 1.2V
      • Memory:
      • A-Data DDR2-800 2x2GB CL4
      • Storage:
      • 4x1TB WD1000FYPS @ RAID5 3Ware 9500S-8 / 3x 1TB Samsung Ecogreen F2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeCube HD4870 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Server 2008 Standard
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp 2709W + 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • Be*Unlimited 20Mbps

How many monitors have you connected?

If you connected both monitors and it only show on one (which is normal by default, unless you set clone/expand mode in CCC). This is quite annoying it defaults back to single monitor whenever you disconnect one of the monitor. Obviously when booting the card will output to all monitors...
    Workstation 1: Intel i7 950 @ 3.8Ghz / X58 / 12GB DDR3-1600 / HD4870 512MB / Antec P180
    Workstation 2: Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.6Ghz / X38 / 4GB DDR2-800 / 8400GS 512MB / Open Air
    Workstation 3: Intel Xeon X3350 @ 3.2Ghz / P35 / 4GB DDR2-800 / HD4770 512MB / Shuttle SP35P2
    HTPC: AMD Athlon X4 620 @ 2.6Ghz / 780G / 4GB DDR2-1000 / Antec Mini P180 White
    Mobile Workstation: Intel C2D T8300 @ 2.4Ghz / GM965 / 3GB DDR2-667 / DELL Inspiron 1525 / 6+6+9 Cell Battery

Display (Monitor): DELL Ultrasharp 2709W + DELL Ultrasharp 2001FP
    Display (Projector): Epson TW-3500 1080p
    Speakers: Creative Megaworks THX550 5.1
    Headphones: Etymotic hf2 / Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro

Storage: 8x2TB Hitachi @ DELL PERC 6/i RAID6 / 13TB Non-RAID Across 12 HDDs
    Consoles: PS3 Slim 120GB / Xbox 360 Arcade 20GB / PS2

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arthurleung View Post
    How many monitors have you connected?

If you connected both monitors and it only show on one (which is normal by default, unless you set clone/expand mode in CCC). This is quite annoying it defaults back to single monitor whenever you disconnect one of the monitor. Obviously when booting the card will output to all monitors...
    Yer I think when I unplugged the monitor windows sent the display through to my second display. I realise now. Will try again with the vga.

Registered+
    Thanks

Ok, tried the vga again and it did revert to my second screen . So I set the 2209wa back up as my main display and it's still dark, and worse still the bottom half of the screen was going crazy with broken graphic lines and flickering, I put it up to 75hz which stopped the flickering so much but the monitor was still the same. It isn't so bad through the digital, just dark.

I've also tested it plugged into the other dvi port on the 4870 still with no joy.

So do you think I can safely narrow this down to a monitor fault?

- My second display is displaying fine, no problems with brightness.
    - Tested a vga cable on 2209wa, and still the same.
    - Tested in both ports on gfx, still same.
    - Driver is the most up to date version.

I bought the monitor from Overclockers UK, it's less than 1 year old. What is their RMA service like?

Thanks
    • sadbuttrue's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P55 UD5
      • CPU:
      • i5 750 @ 3.8ghz + Megahalems + GT1450 @ 5v
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill ECO 4GB 1.4v
      • Storage:
      • Intel 320 120gb + Samsung F4 2tb in Scythe Quiet Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 @ 940/1350/1.175v + Shaman @ 20%
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Case:
      • Raven RV02 with 3xPhobya G-Silent Fans @ 210rpm + Scythe S-Flex 1200 @ 5v
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2233rz, Dell 2209wa, Panasonic AX200 Projector
      • Internet:
      • BeThere 24mb

The 2209wa comes with a 3 year Dell warranty, so you don't need to contact Overclockers. The box in which your monitor was shipped has a "works number" printed on it. Simply call Dell on 0870 9080800, quoting this and the serial number. Personally I call 0844 3381200 and ask for the monitor department.

The 2209wa serial number can be found but sliding out a small panel behind the side USB ports.

You will get a next day replacement, with the Dell representative taking back the faulty unit at the same time. The unit delivered will almost certainly be refurbished (unless they have none available).

Registered+
    Thanks

It's good that they give 3 years, but as it is still within the first year won't they get me to go back through Overclockers? and wouldn't I get a brand new unit over a refurb?

Thanks
    • Lost&Delerious's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Winfast K8S 760 Series
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon 64 +2800
      • Memory:
      • 1GB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD ATI Radeon x1600
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (Build 7600)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer AL1716
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media (50mb/s)

Im having the Same Prob with a Acer AL1716

Thanks

Question Re: Dell Monitor Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Could be the backilight or the backlight inverter. I had one fail, turned out to be a capacitor which I replaced. As MadduckUK says, can you see an image either in a dark room, or by looking at the monitor in day light, at an angle? If you can, then it is the backlight or inverter. How old is the monitor?
    Hello,

I know this post is old, but this is more or less my last chance to bring my 2209wa back to life

First (minor) problem I had a little while ago was this : nsa33.casimages.com/img/2013/04/26/130426012213214990.jpg

And then, the screen started to "flicker", it was still usable but a few days ago it became worse and I could hear a strange noise (like a melting capacitor :/) on the top right corner.

Now the screen will only stay on for like 5 seconds before shutting himself down. (power button's led still blue)

Do you have an idea of what could be the problem ? Would you say the disassembling is easy or hard ?

Thanks,

Regards.

Thread Information