Thread: Installing operating systems queries

Registered+
    Thanks

Installing operating systems queries

Ok current setup is a dual boot of ubuntu 9.10 and windows 7 64bit beta. Since windows 7 expires in less than 5 days I would like to put the full version on.

Now I have purchased 2 new hard drives to do the the installing of the operating systems but I don't know which is best to use:

1TB Western Digital WD10EADS (Green) sata 32mb cache
    or
    1TB Samsung DH103SJ sata F3 32mb cache

I know they are big for the operating system but they were the same price as what I paid for my 500gb and 640gb hard drive I bought last year. I don't really want to rewrite over one of these hard drives incase I balls up the install and won't have a backup system.

Also which operating system to install first? Ubuntu or windows 7.

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Re: Installing operating systems queries

I'd install both on the F3, being the faster drive. I don't think that the order in which you do it makes much difference, but I'm sure that the Linux gurus will be along shortly.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

3. Received thanks from:

freezspirit (25-02-2010)

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks Phage, I did a bit of browsing of comparing people's reviews and comment on both HD's and I will install O/S onto the Samsung F3 and use the WD for data storage.

A couple of problems I have discovered is that I will have to get a new power supply unit as it doesn't have enough sata connections if I leave old HDS in. Also not sure which current hard drive as beta version on WD640gb or Samsung750gb. I'm 90% sure WD640GB HAS o/s as data drive is saying 698gb.

I disconnected dvd drive to connect new hd for formatting and forgot I need the dvd drive to install windows. Blonde moment! lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freezspirit View Post
    Also which operating system to install first? Ubuntu or windows 7.
    Install Windows first - GRUB (the Linux bootloader) politely recognises other pre-existing OSes and will offer you a boot menu when you restart the machine, but if you install Windows after Linux, GRUB will be unceremoniously stomped out of existence.

It's not that difficult to fix after the event, but it's extra hassle that's best avoided if possible.

Registered+
    Thanks

Ok just an update.

Installed windows 7 ultimate 64bit did all the updates plus sound and graphics card drivers. Then disconnected original HD with win 7 beta. Restarted pc only for there to be a major problem, windows would not start. Put dvd back in and did a new install again. This time faster install of O/S, drivers and programmes. However I have noticed that start up and shut down are very slow. Closing tabs in internet explorer take between 10-20secs to go.Also when I save a webpage on favorites it saves as 2 links but only one will work and have to manually delete the other. The beta version was fast start up and shutdown and didn't have any problems with internet explorer.

Decided to hold off putting ubuntu on until I fix problems and await ubuntu disc to be honest.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • BTCentral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 1.0)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 930
      • Memory:
      • Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 3x Samsung HD103SJ (1TB) 1x Samsung HD103UJ (1TB) 1x Samsung HD204UI (2TB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI N460GTX Hawk
      • PSU:
      • NorthQ Black Magic Flex 650W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Soprano DX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • ViewSonic VX2260WM (1080p)

Ok just an update.

Installed windows 7 ultimate 64bit did all the updates plus sound and graphics card drivers. Then disconnected original HD with win 7 beta. Restarted pc only for there to be a major problem, windows would not start.
    You'll likely find that the bootloader was installed to the old drive, which you then disconnected - leaving you with no bootloader hence Windows not being able to boot.

Put dvd back in and did a new install again. This time faster install of O/S, drivers and programmes. However I have noticed that start up and shut down are very slow. Closing tabs in internet explorer take between 10-20secs to go.Also when I save a webpage on favorites it saves as 2 links but only one will work and have to manually delete the other. The beta version was fast start up and shutdown and didn't have any problems with internet explorer.
    That should not be happening, I know it's a pain... but try re-formatting the disk and installing Windows again.
    I have Windows 7 64bit on the same drive (HD103SJ) and everything is very speedy.

Thread Information