Thread: USB Problem

Thanks

USB Problem

Basically I think I have an idea of what is wrong but no idea how to fix it. Recently I decided to install Suse Linux on my spare hard drive just out of interest (I've read a lot about it and never got round to installing it). I tried installing some drivers but I wasn't expecting to have to give so much information about my graphics card while installing the ATI drivers. I think I ended up installing motherboard drivers and graphics card drivers.

I then decided to get rid of linux off my hard drive because it was behaving slightly odd with my sound card. I didn't have a clue about what was the correct way to do this and I was slightly worried about this because of an OS selection screen on boot up. I decided I'd just format the drive it was on from within windows. This is where I'm not sure on the precise order of events but I think I then came to reboot my PC and it came up with a screen to do with Linux and basically I had no idea how to get in to windows. I thought the easiest way to get round it would be to format windows (I have my drive partitioned so I wasn't going to lose anything important).

I think at the same point as finding out that I needed to reinstall windows I found out my keyboard and mouse weren't working. The first thing I did was to plug my mouse and keyboard in to the ps/2 ports and I checked my bios to make sure the correct options where enabled but no luck. I think Linux has done something but I'm not 100% sure.

The other thing I thought it might be, but it sounds a little on the stupid side to me, is that my gf plugged her digi cam in to my keyboards usb port and then unplugged it when the PC was off but I don't see why that should cause a problem.

My specs are:
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe (Version 2 I think)
    Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro
    Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer V3
    Windows XP Pro (SP 1 installed)

I have two hard drives, a Western Digital Hard drive (120GB) partitioned in to two, 1 for windows and programs and 1 for files. I also have a Hitachi hard drive (120GB only showing as something like 34GB but I don't care cause Hitachi are crap ) which had linux on. I also let linux mount my windows drives.

In the bios I have set the following USB related settings:
    USB Controllers [v1.1+v2.0]
    USB legacy keyboard support [Enabled]
    USB legacy mouse support [Enabled]

If you need any more info just ask and I'd like to say thanks for helping in advance

PS I would stick with ps/2 but then I can't use the usb ports on my keyboard (which are extremely useful) and my mouse locks up in Couter-Strike for a split second every minute or so.

PPS It turns out that nothing works in any of my usb ports. I just tried to install my printer and it doesn't exist as far as my computers concerned :/

Thanks
    Give this a try, open control panel-performance info-system-hardware-device manager- see if you have any yellow exclamation marks in usb controllers if you have double click on the item-click on drivers then on update it will then search for another driver and if all is well should now work----hopefully.

Thanks
    OMG! I never thought of that. Such a simple fix. Thank you very much, that's made my day

Thanks
    OMG it worked, well I never.

Sorry sounded a bit condescending but I didnt mean it as it read.

Just glad that it solved your problem
    Last edited by ultimate; 14-09-2004 at 12:11 AM.

Thread Information