Thread: Drive Pains

Thanks

Angry Drive Pains

Not too long ago I posted a problem in here with a CD-ROM drive. It would happily open and close, the drvie light would even flicker a while, but beyond that I would get no recognition that I inserted a CD. WinXP apparently recognised the drive, I could eject it from the desktop etc. it simply wouldn't run or acknowledge CD's.

Well I got myself a CD-RW which I needed anyway, and then not too long ago picked up an external combo drive DVD/CD-RW. Well now the CD-RW is doing exactly the same thing as the CD-ROM and I'm left only with the external.

I'm a bit annoyed really because although the CD-ROM drive is quite old, the RW isn't.

Could it be a power issue? Cleaning problem? I have no idea. Can anyone be of help?

Cheers.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    Sounds daft, I know, but try the very simple thing of unplugging the IDE cable and plugging it back in. Or, if you have a spare, swap it out for a different cable.

I had similar troubles with a very old 8X speed drive... Windows could see it, the drive had power and all that, but otherwise it was dead. When I switched cables, it was back up and running at those blisteringly fast 8X speeds straight off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    I'll give it a shot, thanks.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

IRN-BRU(tm)
    Thanks
    i have a similar problem with my Creative DVD/CDR combo drive, i find when i insert a CD or DVD the busy light flashes on and off for about 30 seconds but windows does not see the disk. I found that the CD does not actually spin up (it is the same way round when i open the tray again).

When the drive decides it is not going to work i stick a screwdriver into the inards of the drive and spin the motor spindal with the end of the screwdriver. Sounds a little strange i know but it always works! I assume that the bearings have become clogged with dust or something so they need to be kicked up the arse to get them moving

Thread Information