Thread: Change Motherboard

Thanks

Change Motherboard

Due to no helpful information on tattooing the Hard drive on a packard bell computer. I have found the type and model number of the motherboard.
    If I change this with a new Mobo thats the same model and type, but without PB security information in the DMI of the BIOS. will I be able to connect the CPU, Memory and other bits to this new Mobo and get things working without need to tattoo the HDD!
    Considering the new Mobo is only £16 + vat (UK).
    Last edited by TJam; 24-03-2005 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks
    Are you going to try to boot up the computer using the OS which is already installed on the HDD or are you going to do a re-installation? Even with an identical motherboard I believe it will be rejected by the OS during boot because of the lack of a tattoo. If you are going for a re-install, are you going to use a recovery/restore disk or have you got a full copy of Windows? Your new motherboard will not work with a recovery/restore disk as it will look for a tattoo that is not there. I actually think it would be worth your while getting a full retail version of Windows XP and do a new installation of the OS.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz), stock cooler, Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775, OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory, PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card, Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache, Arctic Power 500W PSU, Hann-G 19" widescreen
    Kitchen Table Browser: Dell XPS M1330 laptop
    On the Road: Alienware M14X laptop

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceefer
    Are you going to try to boot up the computer using the OS which is already installed on the HDD or are you going to do a re-installation? Even with an identical motherboard I believe it will be rejected by the OS during boot because of the lack of a tattoo. If you are going for a re-install, are you going to use a recovery/restore disk or have you got a full copy of Windows? Your new motherboard will not work with a recovery/restore disk as it will look for a tattoo that is not there. I actually think it would be worth your while getting a full retail version of Windows XP and do a new installation of the OS.
    Sorry I forgot to mention that I will be installing a new HDD drive, with a new install of Wind XP.

Thanks
    Then you shouldn't have to worry about 'tattoos'. New mobo + new HDD + new install = no problem.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz), stock cooler, Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775, OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory, PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card, Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache, Arctic Power 500W PSU, Hann-G 19" widescreen
    Kitchen Table Browser: Dell XPS M1330 laptop
    On the Road: Alienware M14X laptop

Thread Information