Thread: Random Shutdowns

Thanks

Random Shutdowns

Hey guys,

I'm getting random lock ups and random shut downs. I'll explain a bit further:
    Each time i star my computer up it asks to scan one of the hard disks - no big problem, sometimes i let it sometimes i don't..

Anyway after about 5min of use the computer will just die, and i have to turn off the powersupply for 5 seconds before it will start up again, then it will normally be fine on the second boot.

Just occasionally when bringing it back from standby it won't do that either however.

Temperatures are not a problem.

Where should i start trying to work out what is going wrong? Replace Memory, end of the line for my PSU?

Any suggestions much appreciated,

Rich
    Rich
    Brisbane 4800+ @ 2.5GHz, 2x1GB CorsairDDR2 TWINX PC6400, Asus AM2 M2N4-SLi, ATI X1800XL AIW, 80GB WD800JB (OS) & 200GB WD800JB, NEC ND5170

Thanks
    • Hottentot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q9550 at 3.8 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB
      • Storage:
      • SSD + HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 7950
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650TX
      • Case:
      • CM HAF 932 (watercooled)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (x64)
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 2690WUXi
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10Mb
    Easy enough to test the memory using Memtest.
    If its not temperature problems then it sounds like a mobo problem.
    If you think its the power supply problem disconnect some of your drives to decrease the load and see if the problem stops.

Thanks
    If you have 2 sticks of RAM is always worth removing one at a time to see if this is the fault as it's quick and easy to do.
    Intel i5 2500K
    Gbyte Z68mx-ud3
    2x 4GB Corsair Vengance
    NEC ND3540A BLACK DVDR
    1TB HDD
    Sony SDM-HS75P 17" TFT
    Logitech Cordless Mouse and Keyboard LX700

Thanks
    Richard,

First of all I would stop the scan disk from happening, it is probably kicked in by the system as a result of unscheduled restarts or manual hard restarts.

If you aren't too sure why it is happening and has been happening for some time, then run Scan Disk manually, go into Explore, right click your drives, and select TOOLS and tick all the options for a thorough scan disk.

What this will do is schedule a scan disk for the next time the computer starts, which will do two things:-

1) It will clear any outstanding flag the system might have set to kick off an automatic scan disk.
    2) It will perform a very long winded operation where it checks the physical clusters on the disk as well as the quick tests it performs when it does a scan disk automatically.

Never forget all Windows PCs usually use an area of hard disk for the Page File and if you've got a physical problem on a hard drive that Windows uses..... it will lock your system.

Perform the deep scan disk and if this doesn't work come back to me.

Richard P

Thanks
    Having had similar issues with my pc recently I would suggest trying a different PSU if you can - borrow one from somone for a few hours, or use a psre if you have one. I found that my old generic 300w caused less problems than my 9 month old Qtec 650w psu. I've since decided Qtec are a bit rubbish and bought a 480w Hiper psu which works like a charm.

Thanks
    sometimes a poor PSU with poor voltage readings can cause shutdowns,

try another PSU if you can.

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    iirc there is also a virus kicking around that does random restarts. Keep your AV upto date and maybe do an online scan too.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Thanks

Lightbulb

Whilst I agree this sounds like a memory issue it could also be power related as others have said. Try it without the second HDD and the potical drives plugged in, before you go swapping PSUs.
    That virus that reboots your PC at nightis called XP Auto update

Registered+
    Thanks
    I had a problem where my Windows XP managed to reset at random, and this was annoying me so much.

Thought it was the tower overheating or failing PSU but managed to locate the problem to one stick of dodgy memory.. am sending it back to Crucial so they can send me a replacement.

Also, the problem has caused some data on my HDD to go corrupt, as I wasn't bothered to backup. I think I learned my lesson

Thanks
    hey guys,
    well it doesnt seem to be the RAM that is the problem, and the PSU is giving out voltage levels within 5%. I need to do what one guy suggested with my scan disk utility first before i can rule out that as a problem.

It is very odd that it consistently turns itself off after 5min on first boot and then runs fine 2nd boot!
    Rich
    Brisbane 4800+ @ 2.5GHz, 2x1GB CorsairDDR2 TWINX PC6400, Asus AM2 M2N4-SLi, ATI X1800XL AIW, 80GB WD800JB (OS) & 200GB WD800JB, NEC ND5170

Thanks
    IF I were you, after running scan disk, I would do the following:-

1) Reseat the processor and heatsink and renew the thermal compound.
    2) Make sure, if supported, that your BIOS is set to sound an alarm if your processor goes over a heat threeashhold.
    3) Reseat the memory sticks and make sure they are properly pushed in all the way.
    4) Reseat all the PCI, AGP or PCI express cards to make sure they are all fitted correctly.
    5) Check your wiring and make sure you are not overloading the PSU, for example, you've got everything coming off one 12v rail on a poor PSU.
    6) Unplug and reseat all power connections to the motherboard
    7) Check your motherboard header cables to make sure they are firmly attached

I once had a 600 Watt QTec PSU (spits on floor) and of course, whilst it was running OK it was fine, gave good readings etc, but on start up the spike of peak demand could sometimes make it throw a wobbly. So if the above doesn't work, try removing all PCI cards apart from the graphics card of course, and unplug any CD/DVD drives and spare hard drives that aren't crucial so that you are running a bare minimum rig.

Turn it on, let it boot and try your hardest to replicate your problem, if you can't you will need to add one thing back onto the system at a time until your system falls over again.

If you still get your problem on a stripped down basic system, you should ensure that the BIOS isn't hideously overclocked and is set to a failsafe setting, and if problems still occur I'm afraid it looks like you might have to find a friend with a computer to try out your memory, processor and graphics card on (one at a time) which is hard work and tedious.

Thread Information