Thread: Help is needed for my new gaming rig.

Thanks

Help is needed for my new gaming rig.

I need help as soon as possible "Less then 6 days to choose the parts."

Okay, after reading like tones of benchmarks and reviews. I came up with this list:

Processor: AMD 4800+ X2. What's the difference between E4 and E6 core stepping? And how can I know what am I buying when I buy it?

Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Premium

Memory: Anything that I could find. Question though, can I install like 500 mhz rams? I'm not talking about DDRII, just DDR? And will the memory affect my system "that" much? I'm going to be buying 2 x 1gig rams, and I have no idea what's in the market. Any help in here is appretiated.

Graphic Card: "I need your help" .. Either 2 x 7900 GTs in SLI, or ATI 1900XTX. What do you think? Power, heat are no problems at all, and I can't get my hands on those coolers for ATI X1900 series "Not available in my country". I read some comments about 1900xtx can enable HDR and AA at the same time, but does it matter? I mean, can this card handle HDR + AA at the same time? I don't think so, specially in the coming games. So any other comments to help me out with the Graphic system is very much appretiated.

Sound Card: Creative sound blaster X-Fi extreme music

Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Seagate 3.5-inch External Storage Hard Drives 100GB.

CPU cooler: Zalman CNPS-9500 LED

Mouse/Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5000 Laser

Case: Either "Thermaltake MATRIX VX, MATRIX", or Antec P180B. OR perhaps a 60$ ****ty case, since quality cases are very hard to find in here.
    PowerSupply: Thermaltake W0083 PurePower 600W PSU w/Active PFC.

Does any of you know how to buy a screen? I have no idea on what to look at when buying one? I want a 19" LCD screem that shines like those TRUE BRIGHT laptop displays, if you know what I mean. Any suggestions?

am I missing anything? Any comments, help everything you can come up with please.

Not Very Senior Member RavenNight's Avatar
    Thanks
    Great choice on the Cooler, I'd go for a Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case and a G5 laser mouse over the MX5000 kit also for the PSU go for a better brand name like Tagan/Hiper/Seasonic. I also think you'd be better off ditching the raptor for some bigger SATA-II and RAIDing them. Very similair performance, much more space. Good Luck!
    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9500LED + Arctic Cooling MX-1 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe + Zalman Northbridge | 1024MB DDR RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro TwinX) | Leadtek nVidia 6600GT 128MB | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2x80GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA-II (RAID 0) | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Hiper Type-R 580W Modular | Enermax Ultimate Fan Controller| Microsoft Nautral 4000 | Logitech G5 + fUnc 1030| Ideazon Fang | SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset | Samsung SM913N 19" TFT | Compro DVB-T200

"Dell? You get better tech support with a cheese sandwich"

Thanks
    I'm choosing Raptor because it's the fastest when it comes to application loading/booting. I don't care about the space. All my data are on my external, I'm only going to install stuff on it, and I doubt I'll be needing all those 74GB.
    I'm rethinking that MX5000, no idea what to buy though, perhaps the MX3000 or something, the combination looks good.

The problem is that I cannot find "everything" in here. I doubt I'll put my hands on those kind of case, same goes for the PSU.

What's the difference between HDD w/ 8mb buffer, and another w/ 16m buffer?

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    x1900 is your choice really, you wont get much better frame rates from sli, particularly if youre only getting a 19" monitor. its probably also worth saving some money on the processor and getting something like a 4400.

As for ram, you can put 500mhz rated parts in there, but it wont run at that speed unless youre overclocking, and it really isnt neccessary on athlon 64s,

Banned
    Thanks
    please stop talking like your going to buy a keyboard mouse combo they on the hole are chocking for gaming which i assume you will eb doing seeing spec, get your self a saitek eclipse keyboard and g7/ g7 mouse if u like wireless like i do from logitech, and about and im thinking maybe the vx924 viewsonic monitor, for psu go reputable or else you will pay somewhere down the line, and yes as hearc said above the 400 + has the same core and will easily become a 4800 + with some overclocking which i presume you will be doing if your talking about fast ram

Thanks
    • camalbitboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4670k at 3.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-19200(2400) CAS 11
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 750 Evo 250GB + Plextor 128 ssd + WD Raptor X 150Gb + 1Tb Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 780ti Zotac
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell, 2412, Asus ROG Swift pg279q IPS, LG24"tv
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120Mb
    If your getting a system as powerful as this I'd recommend skipping the 19" monitor and get a Dell 2405. Once you've tried 24"s of widescreen goodness, you'll never go back.

Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow
    please stop talking like your going to buy a keyboard mouse combo they on the hole are chocking for gaming which i assume you will eb doing seeing spec,
    How so? I run what amounts to an mx3000 desktop, and still own mates with razers, g7s etc. gaming keyboards ar bs, and the sensor in the g5/7 is the same as the mx1000, they just have the stupid gimmicky resolution adjust.

Banned
    Thanks
    for gaming though my opinion is that the mx1000 is a bad shape and is to heavy neally every gamer who is anyone these days do either have razers or g5s tbh, fair enough u cant go wrong with the keyboard....

Thanks
    I'm not getting that system for "Gaming", I'm buying it because it's based on BLUETOOTH and it's the only bluetooth system availabe in my country. I don't buy stuff just because they say it's for "Gaming" or anything. I look at specs and then decide what I need.

As for processor, I am going to buy 4400+ and then "tweak" it, untill it reaches 4800+ speed. My question is, will this motherboard allow me to do so? I know that I can do some basic overclocking with that motherboard, but will it allow me to go further? And if I decided to buy the X1900XTX, will it work on that board? since it have nvidia chip?

I'm seriously thinking about getting my hands on a 19" viewsonic Pro series, they're cheap and awesome. I don't think the monitor will affect that much. I currently have Samsunbg syncMaster 172B 17" LCD and it looks good. I'm changing because I want to start using DVI, which is not supported by my monitor.

Anyway, thanks for your support. I should start buying the parts now, next week I'll be playing games once again "Haven't play any games since like 6 monthes or so".

Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    you should be alright with that board, but asus cooling solutions are pants. the fans break after about 6 months, and the fanless versions dont work upside down.
    x1900 in an nforce board will be fine. Also, if youre into mild overclocking, its pretty much a dead certain youll get at least xtx speeds out of an xt

Thread Information