Thread: help please

Thanks

Question help please

can anyone help?
    i'm running a pc with windows xp,amd 2600 processor,gigabyte m/b with nvidia nforce2,and a nvidia geforce4 mx440 128 graphix card.

2 days ago i started getting startup problems, screen flickers and sometimes not even starting unless i completely unpluged from mains and left for a couple of mins.
    then when i get to desktop it only stays on till i try to do something then suddenly itll switch off, leaving a message on my monitor saying OUT OF RANGE. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
    ive tryed another monitor and a system restore but no joy, can anyone help.

Dark side super agent
    Thanks
    Seeing an out or range message on your monitor means that your graphics card is pumping out a signal at a frequency that the monitor can't handle. Normally I'd say go into Windows Safe Mode and reset the resolution and frequency on Display Properties to something sensible. However, your problems suggest the graphics card is a bit knackered so I think you need a new one. Can you borrow one just to try out?
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Banned
    Thanks
    Check to see if your CPU fan is working. Check to see that the CPU is seated fully. Check to see that the Graphics card is seated fully. Buy a new setup as that one is abit old now. Also, do as above.

Thanks
    thanx i'll try that.

Thanks
    cpu fan is working but it's a bit noisy,what u mean buy a new setup?

Dark side super agent
    Thanks
    Your CPU has nothing to do with the the problem you're facing. Concentrate on the graphics card for just now. Try and borrow one and see if it works with your PC.

Koolpc meant exactly as he said - buy a new set up (a new PC) Some folks seem to think everyone has money to burn
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Banned
    Thanks
    What i meant was, your Graphics card is very old!! But, if you were going to buy another i would seriously think about saving up and getting a new PC.

Splash
    Yep, it's an old card but would still be more than adequate in a basic internet/office box - nowhere that I've seen is anything about the use of the machine specified. If not gaming or anything like that (which let's face it, the OP is hardly going to be running the latest pixel burster!) then I see no reason to build a new machine. My main box is still running an Athlon XP3200 and an x800 Pro, which is serving me well with everything I throw at it. When I finally get the cash saved to build a new rig this one will be passed on to the missus and I fully expect her to get a couple of years out of it.

Anyways as Bluecube suggested I'd start by looking at your graphics card - is the fan on there spinning up? it could be the case that it's gunked up and needs cleaning out - take the card out and have a look at it. Failing that if you know anyone with a spare AGP kicking around you could install that and see if it resolves your issue - if it does you know that your current card has failed and needs replacing.

Thread Information