Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: intel duo core

Thanks

intel duo core

im currently using an intel celeron 3.2 GHz but was thinking about upgrading to a duo core but not sure how the duo works, what GHz will i need for it to be better than the one im currently using, says its a 1.8GHz do you just double that so it will be a 3.6GHz or am i on the completly wrong track.

also im just about to install vista to try it out but i want to make a dual boot so when installing do all i need to do is select install on a new partition when it says there is currently a os system already installed? also ive got the x86 version of vista what does this exactly mean is it the 32-bit or 64-bit?

i no im new here but i would appreciate all the helps thanks alot
    Last edited by slacky1230; 05-02-2007 at 06:49 PM.

Sink or Swim
    Thanks
    about the c2d... yes it will be 3.6ghz, plus i think it will have more cache than your celeron so that will help aswell

+ you could overclock pretty easily to around 3ghz, so that means you'll have a 6ghz CPU, nearly twice as good as your celeron,

Hope That helps

Nick

Thanks
    yes it does thanks but i dont really no how to overclock also is it just like fitting a normal processor (fitting it into the socket then putting the heatskink on)

Thanks
    If you intend to replace your current cpu with a core duo, then you need to make sure that your motherboard supports the new chip. You probably won't need to overclock as the new cpu is probably around 200% faster than the celeron, maybe more.

When installing Vista, it will show that you already have an OS, so you can choose to install it on a different partition. It will copy some files to your C: drive even though you may specify say drive D: to install it to. You will then get an option when you boot windows to select the OS you want, there is by default a 30 second timeout before the defualt is selected.

Thanks
    well my motherboard is a Asus P5VDC-MX and this is what it says about the cpu

LGA775 socket for Intel� Core�2 Extreme/ Intel� Core�2 Duo/ Intel� Pentium D/ Intel� Pentium 4/ Intel� Celeron D
    Compatible with Intel� 06/05B/05A processors
    Support Intel�EM64T/Hyper-Threading Technology

*Only PCB R2.0(or later version) supports FSB 1066 MHz
    *Due to chipset limitation, the Intel Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology, C1E, and TM2 are not supported in this model)

from that i gather it can take a intel duo but not quite sure whats the limit for it can some body tell me whats the idle processor to get for money and performance

Thanks
    Yup, sounds like it will be fine with a core 2 duo. If you intend to overclock then the 4300 is the better choice as it has a higher multiplier, so you don't need to buy fast expensive RAM. If you're not bothered about overclocking then the 6300 or 6600 are good choices, they can both be clocked but you'll need faster RAM.

Thanks
    wel im currently using 1GB DDR RAM

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Smith View Post
    about the c2d... yes it will be 3.6ghz
    No, no, no. It won't be 3.6GHz, it'll be 2 separate cores, each operating at 1.8GHz. At the moment, in simple terms, 1 core can do separate things without slowing down the PC. Each core will still operate at 1.8GHz.

There's very few programs which make use of both cores themselves, but they are slowly appearing. Only then will performance increase noticeably, but it won't be 2 x 1.8 = 3.6GHz.

However, even a 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo will wipe the floor with your Celeron, or even a Pentium.

But don't make the mistake of mixing up Core Duo and Core 2 Duo. Core Duo is a very slightly older version for laptops (and more recently HTPCs and the likes), while Core 2 Duo is loosely based upon Core Duo and is usually found in desktops, though of course it works well in laptops itself due to it's excellent efficiency.

Core Duo is x86 only, while Core 2 Duo can work in an x64 environment as well as x86.

Thanks
    but do you fit it the same as a single processor it does it have to be fitted in a different way? can some body give me a link to a good priced and good performance core 2 duo please

Thanks
    It just fits into a Socket 775 slot like the old Pentium 4 single cores do. To the untrained eye, it's just another CPU.

Not every Socket 775 board will take C2Ds though, so check first before you buy.

I'd have a double vodka over a lager anyday
    Thanks
    965 and 975 chipset boards support C2d's, so you are looking for one of those. Depends on if you want to OC or no for what board you can get away with..

Thanks
    my board does support duo 2 core as i stated what my motherboad and what it says about compatable processors above, i dont think ill overclock as i dont know how to do it.

ive just installed vista onto my computer but need a better graphics card for it to run better, but dont want to pay alot for one, i need a agp grahpics card, can some body tell me a good agp graphics card that is cheap to be able to run vista smoothly because at the min when playing solitaire its kinda laggy
    Last edited by slacky1230; 06-02-2007 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks
    I'd start a new thread if I were you. You will get more replies. I cant really recommend a graphics card without knowing your exact budget. An ATI X1950 Pro can be had for about £150. I wouldn't suggest getting anything lower than an nvidia 7600 which are about £70 on scan.
    With love and many thanks,

Melons

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mosherben View Post
    965 and 975 chipset boards support C2d's, so you are looking for one of those. Depends on if you want to OC or no for what board you can get away with..
    Not all 975-based boards support C2D.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    Not all 975-based boards support C2D.
    tell me about it :'(

Thanks
    well doesnt matter to much about the graphics card but i just installed vista but need a creatix 802.11g driver, does any one no where i can get one, also need a firewall thats compatable with vista

also i used create on a different partition on installing vista, it let me choose boot vista or older windows when rebooted from installation but since after that it just boots vista i dont get a choice any more, also the windows.old is still there so it has still got all my folders and files from what i had on xp
    Last edited by slacky1230; 06-02-2007 at 09:07 PM.

Thread Information