• Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Rectangular
      • Internet:
      • Cable

Re: Win one of five £100 Amazon gift certificates with ARM

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecube View Post
    Is it me or do the questions seem loaded to ensure that respondents seem to lean towards a hardware enforced security solution?
    What, from a company selling a hardware enforced security solution? You think so?

Good job nobody would just select random answers without reading themin order to qualify for a chance to win some Amz vouchers

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    I answered, but given that my attitude towards most IoT devices I've seen proposed so far is that I either see little to no benefit, or for privacy reasons wouldn't consider having them in the house.

IoT home heating? No interest.
    IoT fridge/freezer? Hell, no, no way.

Smart TV? Well, got one .... and the internet connection has never been configured, let alone had a cable connected.

And so on.

IoT? Don't see what it gains me that I place any value on. Which made some of the questions hard to answer.
    (Is article necroing a thing? It seems to have popped back up to the front page.)

Whilst I agree with you on smart TV's (it's never going to be updated and thus instantly limits its usability!) and the home heating (just use a thermostat/timer) my general opinion of IoT is "Meh *shrugs*" but I can see some benefits.

Example for the fridge/freezer could be a temperature alert, indicating maybe you've left the door open. Or if the cooling element has just broke and the temperature is rising it could alert you to this and you could take action to save the contents. I don't know about you but I have approximately £70-£100 worth of food in my freezer at any time. I'm on minimum wage so if I come home after a weekend out to find all that food ruined then that really hurts.

Similarly, items like a cooker could benefit from sensors that detect when a hob is still on but the weight of a pan is not detected.

Safety and usability features are ripe for the IoT. The problem is data security, obviously. Can I keep these completely local and remove the ability to connect to external-to-LAN sources without distinct instruction? Can I be 100% sure that this information is/can only ever be available to me? Important questions that need to be answered for the future of IoT.

Finally, this technology should not be used for "Value Adds". I know what's inside my fridge, Samsung, I do not require meal suggests. I don't want a stupid gimmick like my fridge making topical jokes when I remove things (e.g, takes an egg out of fridge - "WHAT A CRACKING CHOICE!"). If people can take this seriously it could be a great technology, IMO. It could save money, save lives even. Or Smeg could tell you that your celery is at it's best only till the end of the day.
    Steam - ReapedYou - Feel free to add me!!

Registered+
    Thanks
    • ALIAKSANDR's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4
      • CPU:
      • AMD A10-5800K
      • Memory:
      • Silicon Power 8 GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • SAMSUNG HD321KJ 320gb+ Hitachi HDT722525DLA380 250GB :-((
      • PSU:
      • LEPA N600-SA 600W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z9 Plus Black
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 740N ((((
      • Internet:
      • 1 Mbit/sec :-((

I hate viruses, I have lost all of their data on the hard disk (well at least one).

Thanks

It wouldn't let me submit but question 10 is a big frustration for me as so many people blame the products/software they use instead of taking responsibility for clicking the ok button. I would say 90% of the issues I deal with are not the failings of any security measures provided to the users but the users installing the problem them selves. here is what I wanted to answer in other:

We need to definitive security standards that all companies work to maintain and exceed but implying that the sole responsibility lies with the industry is like saying Honda is responsible for every civic that gets into an accident. The every day user needs to become more educated on using their own personal products

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jowsey View Post
    (Is article necroing a thing? It seems to have popped back up to the front page.)

Whilst I agree with you on smart TV's (it's never going to be updated and thus instantly limits its usability!) and the home heating (just use a thermostat/timer) my general opinion of IoT is "Meh *shrugs*" but I can see some benefits.

Example for the fridge/freezer could be a temperature alert, indicating maybe you've left the door open. Or if the cooling element has just broke and the temperature is rising it could alert you to this and you could take action to save the contents. I don't know about you but I have approximately £70-£100 worth of food in my freezer at any time. I'm on minimum wage so if I come home after a weekend out to find all that food ruined then that really hurts.

Similarly, items like a cooker could benefit from sensors that detect when a hob is still on but the weight of a pan is not detected.

Safety and usability features are ripe for the IoT. The problem is data security, obviously. Can I keep these completely local and remove the ability to connect to external-to-LAN sources without distinct instruction? Can I be 100% sure that this information is/can only ever be available to me? Important questions that need to be answered for the future of IoT.

Finally, this technology should not be used for "Value Adds". I know what's inside my fridge, Samsung, I do not require meal suggests. I don't want a stupid gimmick like my fridge making topical jokes when I remove things (e.g, takes an egg out of fridge - "WHAT A CRACKING CHOICE!"). If people can take this seriously it could be a great technology, IMO. It could save money, save lives even. Or Smeg could tell you that your celery is at it's best only till the end of the day.
    it would be todo with the wifi they use, and the ease your can packet sniff them, with a dedicated linux distribution for wifi hacking or just using wireshark

ARM can make a chip to add extra encryption, and a entropy key, from some random key a user has entered

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information