Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Google joins the Microsoft bashing party

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Google joins the Microsoft bashing party

No big surprise as Google offers to assist the European Commission in its investigation of IE bundling.
    Read more.

Banned
    Thanks
    • matty-hodgson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 4GHz (59'C Under a TRUE Black)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ DDR2 890MHz (5-4-4-15)
      • Storage:
      • Intel 80GB - Games. Intel 80GB - OS. 1TB Samsung - Storage.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Zotac GTX 275: 728 Core, 1614 Shader, 1340 Memory
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SM2343BW (2048x1152)
      • Internet:
      • Smallworld 4Mbps

Re: News - Google joins the Microsoft bashing party

pardon my french.. but.. HOW THE **** DO YOU GET FIREFOX IF YOU HAVEN'T GOT A BROWSER PRE-INSTALLED?!

or are they installing every single internet browser in with Windows 7? along with all music players, all dvd players, all photo editing softwares.. getting my point across yet?

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by matty-hodgson View Post
    pardon my french.. but.. HOW THE **** DO YOU GET FIREFOX IF YOU HAVEN'T GOT A BROWSER PRE-INSTALLED?!
    Very easily.

To quote myself in the Mozilla thread about this (although i have now spell-checked this quote ):
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    Actually, MS could make configure things that would allow you to download any browser you choose, even presenting you with a list, without having "Internet Explorer" available.

All the components of IE would still be there, like the rendering engine, HTTP components, etc. These are needed for Windows update and much of windows itself after all.

On first run, just have a screen appear which is really a page from the MS site asking which browser you would like, they are all available to download, including a small configuration file that enables IE as a full browser.

Job done.

Registered+
    Thanks

I do hope that if Microsoft is fined for including a browser with its operating system and forced to remove it that all other OS's should also be forced to remove browsers. I am looking at you OSX, Linux distros (and even Android, WinMo) and every other modern OS which contains something as vital as a browser. But i doubt that this would be work as there would be not as much FREE money involved for the damn bureaucrats at the EU! The next step will be harassing Microsoft for bundling notepad or maybe having cmd as part of its OS...

Stewis

Very easily.

To quote myself in the Mozilla thread about this (although i have now spell-checked this quote ):
    Who would manage this list? Who would check and see all the locations are still valid? What about if a browser goes belly up and no longer exists... What about if a browser you want is not there? You dont have to use IE but you can use it to find a browser of choice... Like every other sane person on the planet can see!
    Last edited by stewis; 25-02-2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Added reply to Funkstar

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes funkstar, but that is retarded.

People like me out of principle would create my own browser thats just an IE control hosted in .Net (would take about 30 seconds to make this) and release it as a competitor to the firey ferrit, and as such demand it be included.

How could you say no?
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Registered+
    Thanks

Very easily.

Something tells me that if Microsoft did this, all other less popular browsers that aren't on the list would start suing them.

Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Yes funkstar, but that is retarded.
    This whole EU suit is retarded.

If we filtered out all the retardation (have I just made a new word?), this article wouldn't exist in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by stewis View Post
    Who would manage this list?
    Oh this is an easy one as well. Either Welcome! - Free Software Foundation or Eurpa - The European Union On-Line.

Thanks

This whole EU suit is retarded.

If we filtered out all the retardation (have I just made a new word?), this article wouldn't exist in the first place.
    What are you saying Funkstar?

Thanks
    • strike-down's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Formula
      • CPU:
      • i7-4770k/H100i
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair Dominator Plat 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 2x Samsung 850 pro RAID1, 2x HGST 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX980 STRIX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • CM Storm Trooper
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XB270H
      • Internet:
      • EE Fibre

I hate the bloody EU. Its just another of their pointless law suits. Coz they can. I actually like having IE bundled with windows as I do use it for some things when firefox decides its gonna be a pain in the ass.
    If bundling browsers with an os is such a big deal to them, why ARENT they going at the likes of apple and linux?
    Bloody useless politicians.
    PC: AMD FX8150 @ 4.8GHz, Corsair H100i, Crosshair V Formula, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, 2* MSI GTX670 2GB PE SLI, Asus Xonar Xense, 256GB OCZ Vector, 2TB Seagate Barracuda RAID1, Corsair AX760, CM Storm trooper, Windows 7 Pro
    Hackintosh: Intel i7-4770k @ 4.4GHz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte Z87M-WIFI, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866mhz, 120GB OCZ Agility 3, Antec TP 750W, Bitfenix Prodigy, Mavericks
    Server: AMD FX6300, Asus M5A97 R2, 8GB Kingston ECC RAM, 2* 1TB WD RED RAID1, 2* WD RED 3TB RAID1, Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual NIC, Seasonic 620W, Sharkoon T9 case, APC 750VA Smart UPS, Windows Server 2008 R2

Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
    What are you saying Funkstar?
    heehee. Sorry, I worded that wrong

What I meant was if we were to discount everything that we considder to be "retarded" then the EU prancing about, showing off it's ploomage and generally posturing wouldn't get any attention or coverage.

In no way was I having a dig at your article or your journalistic tallents.

Not me. Nope. No not at all. No way. Nada.

Thanks

heehee. Sorry, I worded that wrong

What I meant was if we were to discount everything that we considder to be "retarded" then the EU prancing about, showing off it's ploomage and generally posturing wouldn't get any attention or coverage.

In no way was I having a dig at your article or your journalistic tallents.

Not me. Nope. No not at all. No way. Nada.

I knew you weren't really

Today is Tuesday
    Thanks

Surely Apple wouldnt be stupid enough to complain or Apples (apparently flawless/perfect) O/S would end up getting the same treatment.... Not ideal from their point of view!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I'm struggling to see how including a browser is in any way against the consumer's interests, and the competition laws are supposed to be about protecting consumer's interests. They might as well complain about Mercedes for including seats and wheels with their cars. Back in the dark ages when most people went "huh??" if you mentioned the internet, then maybe there was an argument. But these days, having a browser capability is pretty much fundamental to having a PC. How many people these days (other than business machines) have a PC with no internet connection of any sort?

I don't use IE. Well, other than those rare occasions when I have to, such as with one or two MS sites. Instead, I use Firefox .... which in case the EU commission haven't noticed, is FREE. So, quite how is preventing MS from including a free browser I don't use because I use another free browser going to help me?

Personally, I'd rather MS didn't install things like browser, defragging tool, firewall and so on, by default. I don't want to use the MS versions of these tools, as I have my own preferred (and usually commercial and paid for) variants. At the least, I'd like to be able to deselect them when installing.

But that's the point. If I want other tools, I can either download free tools, or buy the ones I want. MS including theirs doesn't prevent me from doing so. And for many people, having the free tools MS (or Firefox, Opera Comodo or ZA firewalls, Avast and so on) provide is far preferable to having to buy them. So if MS don't provide a free browser, someone else will.

So I don't see how it's anti-competitive. People that are going to use free tools are going to download free tools if MS don't provide them, and a good few download what they want in preference to the free ones. The only way to preserve a paid-for browser industry would be to ban open source and/or other "free" tools altogether, and that is hardly in the consumer's interests, by forcing them to buy something they'd otherwise get for free. And that would simply amount to protectionism for browser companies anyway.

If the EU really has nothing better to do with itself than pursue this kind of loaded agenda, then the best thing we could do is abolish it. Mind you, with the state of economic affairs the way they are, and especially with rich Western European countries not only facing huge economic troubles but increasingly being expected to bail out Eastern European country's recently borrowing profligacy in addition to their own, there's increasing concern over whether this might lead the to destruction of the Euro zone and a major setback for the European federal project anyway. No seriously, there are some serious noises about whether the Eurozone can survice the current structural difficulties, at least in it's current form, and some advocating abandoning the Maastricht Euro entry criteria for some of the trouble Eastern states.

Back on topic though, this MS witchhunt is last Century's crusade, and it's about time the EU grew up a bit a recognised that, or they'll just reinforce how anachronistic, and unnecessary, they are.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

In mechanics retardation is a force for moving backwards.

Quite fitting.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

I expect a new computer bought from a retailer to come fully equipped - that includes a software stack which has been selected to meet a typical usage scenario

Whilst I think it should be easier for those preparing these stacks to fully visibly replace defaults (IE persists in many cases even if you change the defaults at the moment), I absolutely think that this choice should be made by the vendor, not the user - they can change after the event

If HP think that Opera is the best, and Dell like Chrome, then they should preinstall them - asking a user with no computing experience "pick an interwebnet surfomotron", how does that help?

So, honestly... I think that counts as me siding with Microsoft, with a big "but"

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post

Whilst I think it should be easier for those preparing these stacks to fully visibly replace defaults (IE persists in many cases even if you change the defaults at the moment), I absolutely think that this choice should be made by the vendor, not the user - they can change after the event

I agree .... providing the option is left for the user that does have experience to amend defaults.

For instance, some PCs come with a software bundle pre-installed, including security options, an office package of some sort, and so forth. IF that amounts to clicking a button to install if you want it, or another to delete if you don't, then it's fine with me. What I don't want, though, is for the vendor to pre-install a load of guff I have no interest in, leaving me to uninstall, and no doubt not successfully delete all registry entries, system files etc that were put on as part of the install.

If a PC vendor does that, for his benefit, then he accepts (and may well not care) that he probably loses any chance of getting my business as a result.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information