• Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Re: News - NVIDIA's Fermi delayed again

Quote Originally Posted by ajones View Post
    Alternatively, I could be writing a load of BS in what is becoming a rather agressive forums towards nVidia.
    Disagree. Whilst there have been some downright weird and over-excited posts from some people, NightKhaos summed it up perfectly. We would like some straight answers from NV so that we can make informed choices. I have bought NV for my previous two GPU's and fully intend to buy them again, should they prove to be competitive.
    On a side note, I am fascinated by the sudden public interest in corporate governance and wonder whether this is a permanent change in the market. How much of it is due to the economic crisis ?

Let's not start spouting conjecture that nVidia is lying to us regarding release dates until there is evidence heh? We can doubt as much as we like but still keep it civil.
    Agreed. Although I haven't seen anyone accuse NV of outright lying. Astroturfing and possible anti-competitive practives, yes.

Bottom line; Will nVidia launch in Q1'10.... The sooner the better in my book as I've 2 home PCs to upgrade to DX11 graphics.
    Very much agreed. We need NV. We need them to compete, we need them to engage with us, we need honest and ethical businesses to deal with. And that last applies to all of our vendors (hello Intel !).
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Phage View Post
    On a side note, I am fascinated by the sudden public interest in corporate governance and wonder whether this is a permanent change in the market. How much of it is due to the economic crisis ?
    I think this is a side effect of more power being shifted from government, to corporate heads. It's not as big an issue here on the Euro-side, but certainly in America corporations have a *lot* of pull.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    I think this is a side effect of more power being shifted from government, to corporate heads. It's not as big an issue here on the Euro-side, but certainly in America corporations have a *lot* of pull.
    Agreed. But this has been the trend for a while. Have we now hit the nadir where consumers will change their spending habits in order to change the behaviour of the corporates ?
    Does it point to an increase in the level of ethics demanded ?

There's a paper in there somewhere...
    The economic crisis may not have changed capitalism, or financial markets per se, but it may well have changed consumer behaviour. If so, will this be reflected in corporate strategy in the future ?
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Overclocking Since 1988 nightkhaos's Avatar
    Thanks

The economic crisis may not have changed capitalism, or financial markets per se, but it may well have changed consumer behaviour. If so, will this be reflected in corporate strategy in the future ?
    That's a paper I'd like to write or co-write.
    Desktop (Cy): Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.6GHz, Prolimatech Megahalems, Gigabyte X58-UD5, Patriot Viper DDR3 6GiB @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-20 2T, EVGA NVIDIA GTX 295 Co-Op, Asus Xonar D2X, Hauppauge WinTV Nova TD-500, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB in RAID 0, 4x Samsung EcoDrive 1.5TB F2s in RAID 5, Corsair HX 750W PSU, Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos Sport (Custom), 4x Noctua P12s, 6x Noctua S12Bs, Sony Optiarc DVD+/-RW, Windows 7 Professional Edition, Dell 2408WFP, Mirai 22" HDTV

MacBook Pro (Voyager): Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.6GHz, 4GiB DDR2 RAM, 200GB 7200RPM HDD, NVIDIA 8600GTM 512MB, SuperDrive, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, 15.4" Matte Display

HTPC (Delta-Flyer): Intel Core 2 Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Zotec GeForce 9300-ITX, 2GiB of DDR2 Corsair XMS2 RAM, KWorld PE355-2T, Samsung EcoDrive F2 1.5TB, In-Win BP655, Noctua NF-R8, LiteOn BluRay ROM Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium, 42" Sony 1080p Television

i7 (Bloomfield) Overclocking Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Spock
    I am not our father.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by meltedrabbit View Post
    I missed it by a day, December 1, is the day new US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) rules take effect and regardless of the location of the webserver
    I always forget that the Internet belongs to the US, stupid me.

Thanks
    • GheeTsar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung EVO 850 1 TB + 2 x 1TB Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS Radeon R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Tagan TG600-U33 600W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 24" 120Hz GD245HQ
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    I always forget that the Internet belongs to the US, stupid me.
    Lol. It may apply to US companies like Nvidia though.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meltedrabbit View Post
    I missed it by a day, December 1, is the day new US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) rules take effect and regardless of the location of the webserver, Rollo and the astroturfing scum like him will need to be more complete in disclosing their ties to companies and the compensation they receive. The current "nVidia User Group Member" will no longer cut it. The line in the signature may need to have the following added to it: "I have a relationship with nVidia and I have received the following as material compensation from nVidia: (list of items goes here)". Not explaining what being a "nVidia User Group Member" entails in a signature would no longer be acceptable. It does not explain exactly what the title entails to a reader. I'm going to say that stating the meaning of the title when asked in a post will no longer cut it.

The great thing is that nVidia must police its astroturfers, even those working for an advertising company that nVidia might hire. nVidia as a corporation would usually be the party who would face fines and law enforcement actions from the FTC due to any wayward behavior from nVidia's astroturfers and not astroturfers like Rollo, necessarily at least.

From page 3 of the new rules here:
    http://www.ftc.gov/os/2009/10/091005...mentguides.pdf

Rollo, you would fall almost exactly into the category mentioned in the third paragraph of this example. I hope the choice of product by the FTC in that example was not intentional. Also, under the new rules there is no difference between a blog, forum post, or even a Usenet post.

The FTC News release is here:
    http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/endortest.shtm

It would seem a bit odd if you, Rollo, in your position were totally unaware of the new FTC rules.
    LOL-

You may as well swallow your "excitement".

People like you have never understood me and my motives. Computer gaming is one of my main three hobbies, and I love to talk about and try hardware.

I've been posting in pretty much the same fashion for years before I became a member of the focus group, and I can guarantee you I'll post in the same fashion as long as this is my hobby.

As a matter of fact, if there was no focus group, I would be pretty much "deregulated". As luck would have it, I have plenty of cash to buy parts to post about, and new ISPs to post from. So, I'd be able to post on any forum on the internet exactly as I have been.

So there you have it, like me or hate me, I'll probably be posting about computer hardware for years to come.

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Hey Rollo - what's your opinion ?
    Do you think there is a raised interest in the corporate governance of major corporates of any stripe ?
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Banned
    Thanks

Hey Rollo - what's your opinion ?
    Do you think there is a raised interest in the corporate governance of major corporates of any stripe ?
    I'm a Republican who believes in laissez faire capitalism, so I'm sickened by the current trend of govt bailouts, increased perception there is some "cosmic justice" that should be legislated, govt ownership of business, increased taxation, and redistribution of wealth in general.

Long Time Lurker
    Thanks

Agreed. But this has been the trend for a while. Have we now hit the nadir where consumers will change their spending habits in order to change the behaviour of the corporates ?
    Does it point to an increase in the level of ethics demanded ?

One would hope so. I sure as hell will not buy products or services from places/business's that are "shady/untrustworthy"

I wont buy games from EA due to their sucking up of good games companies (Origin and Westwood) and destroying product lines, outright lying to the comunity (the farcical closure of Earth and Beyond), the pathetic excuse for a game that was CnC Generals. I would love for them to offsource those companies and EA can keep making ****ty games like Sims and football/NFL games every year.

Its getting to the point where i seriously question the news out of Nvidia.

Trust is hard to gain and so easy to loose. Companies have found this to their cost. Short Term gain over screwing your customers has LONG term repercussions.

Ironic example? Anyone remember the "Phantom" Console? HardOCP debunked those idiots and their lies. Now no-one believes anything they say.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

TBH,I want to see what Nvidia releases in the sub £250 bracket in the next three to six months. Not being a "high-end" gamer myself I want to see what they release in the mid-range price bracket as this is more interesting for me than expensive high end cards from either company.

I don't give a damn about any of the propriety stuff either ATI or Nvidia are working on. I am more interested in DX11 performance only and who can give the best bang for buck between £75 to £150 with acceptable power consumption.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mercyground View Post
    One would hope so. I sure as hell will not buy products or services from places/business's that are "shady/untrustworthy"

Trust is hard to gain and so easy to loose. Companies have found this to their cost. Short Term gain over screwing your customers has LONG term repercussions.
    So true. You should Google "viral" "High Road" and "ATi". Or "Intel" and "anti competitve". Or "AMD" and "insider trading".

Point being, you're going to end up shopping at the hippie vegetable co-op and giving up all other consumer goods if this is your true feeling- and what's in the hippie's cigarettes might be considered "shady" as well.

Long Time Lurker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    So true. You should Google "viral" "High Road" and "ATi". Or "Intel" and "anti competitve". Or "AMD" and "insider trading".

Point being, you're going to end up shopping at the hippie vegetable co-op and giving up all other consumer goods if this is your true feeling- and what's in the hippie's cigarettes might be considered "shady" as well.
    and? Insider trading in USA is rife. FTC is handling it. They never learnt leason with Enron... why the hell should they change. Thought that was the American dream. Get rich quick and let some other poor sap loose his life savings. The stock market is a mugs game.

NV have lied and covered up faulty equipment. That is a major concern to me.
    Just like when Ebuyer first started off and had issues. They at least sorted the issues and now are reasonable.

Organic veg is taking off in a big way. The "Enviroment" is big lately.

The uk has these lovely adverts about wasting power, recycling etc. Its amusing. I already recycle. I do manage my power responsibly. (No NV spaceheaters ta). Its teaching Joe 6pack that needs doing but these adverts are late at night and thus they are in bed.

The irony is the only way to supplement the power over here is nuclear power. Which they wont built. Instead we have cackhanded attempts to build wave/wind power. (Clue. Its not constant and requires very fine grid balancing. Nuke stations are the best way to balance. We could kill off the coal powerstations that way.) Renewable power that way is going to take a few more years to properly be sustainable and properly tied in. Better solar cells are required.

As for dodgy cigs? Not since University days... and never hurt anyone.

Banned
    Thanks

and? Insider trading in USA is rife. FTC is handling it. They never learnt leason with Enron... why the hell should they change. Thought that was the American dream. Get rich quick and let some other poor sap loose his life savings. The stock market is a mugs game.

NV have lied and covered up faulty equipment. That is a major concern to me.
    Just like when Ebuyer first started off and had issues. They at least sorted the issues and now are reasonable.

Organic veg is taking off in a big way. The "Enviroment" is big lately.

The uk has these lovely adverts about wasting power, recycling etc. Its amusing. I already recycle. I do manage my power responsibly. (No NV spaceheaters ta). Its teaching Joe 6pack that needs doing but these adverts are late at night and thus they are in bed.

The irony is the only way to supplement the power over here is nuclear power. Which they wont built. Instead we have cackhanded attempts to build wave/wind power. (Clue. Its not constant and requires very fine grid balancing. Nuke stations are the best way to balance. We could kill off the coal powerstations that way.) Renewable power that way is going to take a few more years to properly be sustainable and properly tied in. Better solar cells are required.

As for dodgy cigs? Not since University days... and never hurt anyone.
    Hmmm.

Seems to me AMD released Phenom knowing it had an errata error that it only fixed when people brought it public? Same with Intel and the original Pentiums.

Not to mention NVIDA covered up nothing- they set aside hundreds of millions to pay for repairs.

Long Time Lurker
    Thanks

MONTHS after OEMs reported issues. Out of warrenty? Sucks to be you. And as for cover ups? Did you read what Apple put on their tech faq page? NV out right LIED to Apple and now Apple has to replace macbooks and you know how they HATE it when their "perfect" tech breaks.

They knew that the g84's would have issues. Hell they had to bump the TDP and voltage just to hit the damn target speeds. Combined with the missing layer? Engineering disaster.

Thats what happens when marketeers run a company instead of engineers. Lets just hope they do get Fermi working right... Otherwise you are blueballed for a year and just get to play with nice mobile phone chipsets.

Banned
    Thanks

MONTHS after OEMs reported issues. Out of warrenty? Sucks to be you. And as for cover ups? Did you read what Apple put on their tech faq page? NV out right LIED to Apple and now Apple has to replace macbooks and you know how they HATE it when their "perfect" tech breaks.

They knew that the g84's would have issues. Hell they had to bump the TDP and voltage just to hit the damn target speeds. Combined with the missing layer? Engineering disaster.

Thats what happens when marketeers run a company instead of engineers. Lets just hope they do get Fermi working right... Otherwise you are blueballed for a year and just get to play with nice mobile phone chipsets.
    I still have confidence in NVIDIA mobile products, spent $1055. on an Asus laptop with a NIDIA GX260M in it tonight.

It flies, good enough to be my only pc.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information