Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Mozilla reveals majority of Brits are unaware of Microsoft's imminent browser

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Mozilla reveals majority of Brits are unaware of Microsoft's imminent browser

IE competitor lauds the importance of choice ahead of the roll-out of a European browser ballot for Windows users.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Mozilla reveals majority of Brits are unaware of Microsoft's imminent brow

I use Firefox, but have IE as my default browser as some sites dont like Firefox, mind you saying that there are lots of sites that dont like IE since v8 came out, good job theres that compatibility button..

Thanks
    • superscaper's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI GT725
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 P9500
      • Memory:
      • 4 GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 500 GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Mobility HD4850
      • PSU:
      • 120W
      • Case:
      • MSI GT725
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Re: News - Mozilla reveals majority of Brits are unaware of Microsoft's imminent brow

"Hoping to make European users aware of the ballot, Mozilla has launched a dedicated web page designed to encourage consumers to "learn more about choice"."

How is that going to work? Surely the only people that'd come across that page are those looking for or at different browsers anyway?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

The developer of rival browser Firefox has commissioned a survey of 2,000 British web users, and found that a massive 77 per cent are unaware that the browser ballot could soon be making its way to their screens.
    What surprises me is that that implies 23% were aware of it, and that astonished me.

I know quite a few people that have been using Windows and PCs for years, and still don't know what IE is, let alone having a choice. And when I point at the E icon, I get "oh, you mean the web. Why didn't you say so?"

isn't trying to wind U up Shooty*'s Avatar
    Thanks
    • Shooty*'s system
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Modular 620W
      • Case:
      • ThermalTake Tsunami Dream, black, windowed.
      • Internet:
      • Plus Net

I moved to Chrome last night as a result of being hit twice by a nasty little thing called av.exe, which poses as a security pack.

I've actually asked Eset to confirm whether their security package is meant to pick up things like av.exe. I was surprised it didn't, but perhaps I misunderstood the scope of their anti-spyware and malicious program protection.

Also downloaded Safari and Firefox. Fairly happy with chrome for the time being, though.

Edit: agree with saracen. And I had no idea this ballot was coming up until yesterday.
    My HTPC: Linky

Thanks
    • superscaper's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI GT725
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 P9500
      • Memory:
      • 4 GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 500 GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Mobility HD4850
      • PSU:
      • 120W
      • Case:
      • MSI GT725
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    I know quite a few people that have been using Windows and PCs for years, and still don't know what IE is, let alone having a choice. And when I point at the E icon, I get "oh, you mean the web. Why didn't you say so?"
    Same here but then that actually also extends to OS itself. Usually the same people. As I saw someone mention somewhere, how long before we have OS ballot screens?

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

I suspect that most people's reaction will be "I like the internet, I want to keep the internet." And hence click on the big e.

OS is synonymous with computer, web browser is synonymous with internet, address bar is synonymous with Google.

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Personally I am already on firefox and do recommend it. As the friends and family IT advisor I have converted many others to. A good add-on is IE Tab as it lets you switch to the IE engine within firefox and set sites to use it by default if needed.

With that I have found a good use for IE, I have it set to not remember a thing I do so when I wish to view things I don't want on my history I just open IE.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Or use Firefox Private Browsing feature and then you don't even need IE for that.

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

That caused problems with sites remembering preferences, either way it works for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shooty* View Post
    I moved to Chrome last night as a result of being hit twice by a nasty little thing called av.exe, which poses as a security pack.

I've actually asked Eset to confirm whether their security package is meant to pick up things like av.exe. I was surprised it didn't, but perhaps I misunderstood the scope of their anti-spyware and malicious program protection.

Also downloaded Safari and Firefox. Fairly happy with chrome for the time being, though.

Edit: agree with saracen. And I had no idea this ballot was coming up until yesterday.
    And I've just switched back from Chrome to IE8. Why? I'll tell you why. Chrome after a while loses it edges, and starts to slow down. Try having 20+ tabs open, and flicking to each one. Or perhaps, try watching iPlayer stuff on the BBC site, and Chrome not playing ball.

(it is worth noting that I was using the latest dev branch build, so it may have been a dodgy build)

But for now, I am back in the safe, warm and comfortable hands of IE8.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Singh400 View Post
    And I've just switched back from Chrome to IE8. Why? I'll tell you why. Chrome after a while loses it edges, and starts to slow down. Try having 20+ tabs open, and flicking to each one. Or perhaps, try watching iPlayer stuff on the BBC site, and Chrome not playing ball.

(it is worth noting that I was using the latest dev branch build, so it may have been a dodgy build)

But for now, I am back in the safe, warm and comfortable hands of IE8.
    Firefox and Opera here. I sometimes use IE8 but rarely (usually for business issues).

If you are using Chrome and don't like the privacy issues of that browser, there is SR Iron which strips out all the Google/Skynet issues.

But back on topic, I think Firefox is a little silly but then I guess they need to do what they need to do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    I suspect that most people's reaction will be "I like the internet, I want to keep the internet." And hence click on the big e.

OS is synonymous with computer, web browser is synonymous with internet, address bar is synonymous with Google.
    I'd go one step further. Most people won't have a clue what this browser ballot box means and won't care. If their internet works why change it. They'll either just ignore it and use their PC like they usually do or simpy press the big red cross on the top right.

Personally I really don't see the point in this browser ballot box. We already have the choice to use whatever browser we want - to me this is just patronising.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    I use Firefox, but have IE as my default browser as some sites dont like Firefox, mind you saying that there are lots of sites that dont like IE since v8 came out, good job theres that compatibility button..
    I've got the 'View This Page in IE' add on. And that's the main reason I like FF, the many add-ons I would have trouble doing with out. But sometime, it is those very add-on that breaks some part of my browsing experience and until that is identified, being able to view in IE is handy sometime.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

In the past six months i've gone:

Opera 10 -> Firefox
    Firefox -> Chrome
    Chrome -> Opera 10.50

I've tried them all for a good while now and gone back to Opera, especially as the new 10.50 beta is so good on Windows 7.

FF = pros: extensions cons: slow to start, memory hog, bit slow, needs extensions to be useful
    Chrome = pros: quick start, generall quick to use, extensions cons: memory hog, privacy considerations, bad installer, needs extensions to be useful, buggy
    Opera = pros: quick to start, quicker to use, everything's built in, win7 integration cons: lacks extensions (mitigated by most stuff being there and user scripts)

It's a personal choice but that's where I am now having spent at least a month with each.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Now get ready for the incredibly vocal minority, those ferrit fanciers all crying when 99% of users just stick with what they know.

They will see no benefits for learning a new program.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information