Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: News - Xbox 720, Microsoft's next-gen console - rumour round-up

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: News - Xbox 720, Microsoft's next-gen console - rumour round-up

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    But you buy/rent the games that you play right? That's more than most people on the PC do.
    Erm, not exactly, no. I'm not going into details publicly. I will say this though, in case anyone gets the wrong impression .... I do not have, and never ever have had, any pirated XBox games, other software or any form of illicit XBox product whatever.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
    Still if it has dedicated hardware for individual functions such as AI ect then it could be faster than a PC in games even with slower hardware as most of the hardware in a PC is general purpose. My one wish for the Xbox 720, native keyboard / mouse support.
    I'd agree with that. Shame that they're partnered with AMD, because I'm sure some dual Geforce arrangement would be pretty fine - even if it was one core for graphics and another for physics.

Don't like the idea that ARM-based - surely Intel would give them a VERY good price on something more powerful. That said, if we did have to have ARM then I was tempted to say "Tegra3" (or replacement) but that's not going to happen because of the AMD tie-in.

I'd love to see some really powerful piece of kit - but I'm pretty sure that this won't happen - mainly because of the noise factor, but also because these days folks are pretty sensitive about power draw. Hence the "need" to use ARM gear.

My hit list would be: 1080p native support with AA/AF; decent sound; multiprocessor - preferably quad; backward compatibility with games and some peripherals (e.g. Kinect).

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1x480GB SSD, 1x 2TB Hybrid, 1x 3TB Rust Spinner
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

I don't know Saracen, if I buy a HP printer on the cheap, as they tend to be, and then feed it their silly £ ink am i not subsidising the price of the printer? would i buy the ink without the printer? would i buy 360 games without a 360?

also, you keep saying things are an exchange i cant see any deeper meaning to it than there would be if you had just said that you have purchased these things, and that really does go without saying. so what is it? how does it being a money for product exchange discount the 360 creating revenue from the sale of its games and peripherals?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

Thanks

It can generate revenue from people playing games...
    ... World of Warcraft.

I also think thanks to steam, a more appropriate payment model is now available for PC.

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1x480GB SSD, 1x 2TB Hybrid, 1x 3TB Rust Spinner
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    That said, if we did have to have ARM then I was tempted to say "Tegra3" (or replacement) but that's not going to happen because of the AMD tie-in
    Thats not going to happen because Tegra is for very tiny boxes that don't need to be that fast, or the portable market. neither of which the next xbox or playstation will be. Discrete GPU power needed, including all the roadmapped GPGPUs that we know about.

we dont need anything fancy really, just something that is on par to the same spec of pc as the current consoles were to PCs at launch. what we need is the next gen ASAP, because the lack of grunt is not just damaging the games on the consoles, but anything that is ported to the PC is suffering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MadduckUK View Post

also, you keep saying things are an exchange i cant see any deeper meaning to it than there would be if you had just said that you have purchased these things, and that really does go without saying. so what is it? how does it being a money for product exchange discount the 360 creating revenue from the sale of its games and peripherals?
    It's buying the game that generates the revenue, not buying the console. I exchange money for extra, and new, games.

If you had to use Live to get the console to work at all, and had to pay for it, then the console generates revenue, just to be able to use it.

If you had to buy new games, as opposed to borrowing, renting or buying second-hand, then the console generates a revenue. The point was the comparison to the PC. If you buy a PC, you might (or might not) buy extra products or services from that supplier. You might buy Window or you might download Linux, so MS might nor might not get a revenue stream. You might or might not buy a pre-built PC, and pay that supplier for extra bits, or for support services, or you might not. You might buy games in a way that MS get revenue, or you might not.

It's no doubt more likely to generate MS a revenue stream with a tied-in console than a PC, but not certain, and it's the buying of the extra bits, which is also an exchange in that you get extra value, that generates the revenue stream.

I don't know Saracen, if I buy a HP printer on the cheap, as they tend to be, and then feed it their silly £ ink am i not subsidising the price of the printer? would i buy the ink without the printer? would i buy 360 games without a 360?
    So buy compatible inks. You are then not subsidising the price of the printer. Buy second-hand games, and you are not subsidising the XBox. Opt not to pay for Live subs and you aren't, either.

Similarly, buy a PC with an MS OS, and then decide to buy Office and you're providing a revenue stream to MS. Buy it from the PC supplier and you're providing both them and MS with revenue.

Thanks
    • Savas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 6GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB Sata III 2.5 inch Internal SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850W
      • Case:
      • LIANLI PC-8FI
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 32LF580V
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbits (Plusnet)

I guess in a way consoles lower the costs of hardware.

Why are PC heads all getting worked up about consoles so much now days.. PC games are a different bread to console games, it can never die.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Savas View Post
    Why are PC heads all getting worked up about consoles so much now days.. PC games are a different bread to console games, it can never die.
    Because we see great games changed, sometimes drastically, to cater for the primary revenue source, which is console gamers. Not all the changes are bad, but many feel they are mostly negative. It's even worse when a game that would otherwise have come out on the PC becomes a console exclusive. And we are talking areas that PCs were great for - RPGs, shooters, racing games etc.

That's not the console makers fault. It's not the console owners fault. It's not even the game developers/publishers fault - it's just a consequence of providing services for the people who are most willing to pay for them, same as any other business. PC gamers could make a difference by buying more games or being willing to pay (a lot) more for games. See the success of games where revenue is actually generated like WoW and other server based games.
    Last edited by kalniel; 11-11-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks

i would like a console that younger than my car when it gets replaced....the 360 will be 8 when they release the rumoured new one

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Because we see great games changed, sometimes drastically, to cater for the primary revenue source, which is console gamers. Not all the changes are bad, but many feel they are mostly negative. It's even worse when a game that would otherwise have come out on the PC becomes a console exclusive. And we are talking areas that PCs were great for - RPGs, shooters, racing games etc.
    There's one place where I think consoles are better - racing games like Forza4, GT5. Never a big fan of the mouse or, worse still, keyboard controls. Sure you can get wheels for both, but then the only difference becomes graphics.
    off topic time - when I changed printer (Canon->HP) my ink costs fell. Canon's tanks were £12-16 each, whereas the HP ones are mainly around the £8 mark, (a lot less once you factor in either Staples discount, or HP employee discount).

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    There's one place where I think consoles are better - racing games like Forza4, GT5.
    But why are consoles better for them? There isn't any reason apart from artificial exclusivity. Forza or GT5 on the PC would have better multiplayer, more fidelity, custom content etc. and (cf the X360) you can use any peripheral you like on them - gamepad, wheel, joystick - no being locked into only a few MS approved choices.

Sure, PC still has the best simulation racing games, but sometimes car pr0n is fun too.

Thanks

rumor?

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

But why are consoles better for them? There isn't any reason apart from artificial exclusivity. Forza or GT5 on the PC would have better multiplayer, more fidelity, custom content etc. and (cf the X360) you can use any peripheral you like on them - gamepad, wheel, joystick - no being locked into only a few MS approved choices. Sure, PC still has the best simulation racing games, but sometimes car pr0n is fun too.
    Trouble is that if someone was to do "Forza4 - GFW edition" then there'd be a chorus of disapproval because you can pretty much guarantee that it'd be a straight port, so personally I don't see the "better multiplayer" etc happening. My comment on racing on consoles being better was based purely on the few games I've tried on both - I remember being disappointed with the PC, but with hindsight maybe that was because I was expecting great things from the PC - not just a slightly enhanced port.

Actually, that's something that I've wondered about in the past - given that the XBox360 is pretty much just a PC, why aren't there more of the "exclusives" being ported after a decent interval.

And at this point I'm going to shut up, for fear of being castigated for going "off topic".

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

Im interested to see what the new playstation will have. I bought my 60GB origional PS3 when it was first released for a lot of money but at the time it was the cheapest bluray player available. Plus with all the updates etc to it for the hdmi support etc it was a brilliant purchase for me.

It is still my bluray player all these years on with no problems. Have never bought a game for it though. Thats what the PC is for.
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thermoelectroceramicist redddraggon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • redddraggon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (rev2)
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 930
      • Memory:
      • 3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair F60 SSD & 2x WD Caviar Green2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB in CrossFireX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650TX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" + LG 22"
      • Internet:
      • JANET

Only just bought another 360 so I'll feel mightily embarrassed if the successor is announced pretty soon.

Desktop - i7 930, XMS3 6x2GB DDR3, X58A-UD3R (rev2), 2xHD5870 1GB (CrossFireX), Crucial C300 64GB , 2x2TB WD Caviar Green, Corsair 650TX
    Notebook - MacBook Pro 13" i5 Early 2011

My flickr

Thanks
    • Barrichello's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 x (250GB) Samsung 840 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce GTX 770 (DC2OC 2GB GDDR5)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB

Quote Originally Posted by chrisreed View Post