• Operating System:
      • Arch Linux x64, Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" Iiyama PLX2377HDS-B1
      • Internet:
      • Sky Broadband

Re: News - Apple's iPad 3 is not compatible with UK 4G networks

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster0101 View Post
    Who gives a monkeys. By the time 4G is rolled out in the UK no doubt ipad 4 or 5 will be here. Also by the time the UK mobile operators try to screw the consumer with mega high costs for 4g and limitations, no one will be interested in the tech for many years.
    Agreed. Outside the Everything Everywhere (Orange/T-Mobile) trial in Bristol, where in the UK can you get 4G?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkarunan View Post
    Agreed. Outside the Everything Everywhere (Orange/T-Mobile) trial in Bristol, where in the UK can you get 4G?
    O2 in London, that's two large places! The fact that 4G isn't here elsewhere yet is fine if you plan on upgrading your tablet again in year's time, which given that I'm not compelled to move from the iPad 2 to the 3 I'd suspect I'm not alone in not always wanting to do this. Take Germany for example, Apple's pulling the same stunt there and they have full 4G.

blueball

SO they release another version that supports 4G here. What happens if you take it to the states? No more 4g ability?

Thanks

Maybe they'll release a cheap upgrade?

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

I expect nothing more from this particular type of fruit. Surely it's false advertising? Surely?

6. Received thanks from:

Hicks12 (14-03-2012),Scribe (14-03-2012)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

This is merely a chicken and egg situation. Which comes first?

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    is it really though? Its already been decided what spectrum we will be using, apple have only just added this "marketing", fair enough if the standard hadnt been decided and already being implemented but it is... id understand if perhaps they left something on the hardware as yes that is hard to change in time but this is simply their webpage, you shouldnt be adding that marketing crap .

I may as well say that if i launch phone X this year that its 5G ready... except it never will be as the hardware doesnt support it...
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks
    • BerZerk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5WDH Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 2x2 Gig PC8000
      • Storage:
      • Too much to mention
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD4890 1Gig
      • PSU:
      • Xclio 650W PSU
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 8Meg ADSL

People will buy anyway, because it is the new iPad!

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    The Apple of course. Who then claims the patent for the Chicken & the Egg and sues indiscriminately.

11. Received thanks from:

Arthran (15-03-2012),Output (15-03-2012),Saracen (14-03-2012),watercooled (14-03-2012)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    O2 in London, that's two large places! The fact that 4G isn't here elsewhere yet is fine if you plan on upgrading your tablet again in year's time,
    The O2 trial in London is using 2.6Ghz, which not many devices support - I think only very specific dongles use it. It's also a frequency that will be hard to expand anywhere since it interferes with Air traffic control radar on 2.7Ghz. Ofcom will not allow it's use until radar stations have better filters.

Then today LTE in the UK was dealt another blow as only Everything Everywhere got approval to repurpose their 1800Mhz 2G band for LTE use. All other networks will need to wait longer.

Approval for those will only come at the end of this year at the earliest, but as GigaOM says "Even after carriers get their hands on that spectrum, they will have to wait to use a portion of it. The U.K. is undergoing its own DTV transition, and the 800 MHz frequencies are still tied up in analogue broadcasts, just as 700 MHz airwaves were similarly encumbered in the U.S. until 2009. That means no matter when the auction is scheduled, operators won’t be able to do anything with those frequencies until they’re cleared next year, if not later."

Realistically it'll be 2014 before we can get any usable LTE in the UK, maybe a bit earlier if you join EE's temporary monopoly - for which I'm sure they'll charge appropriately.

By then we'll be on iPad 5th generation...

Meanwhile you'll still get a very decent 42Mbit HSPA on the new iPad, Three in particular are very keen on launching that service in several areas by this summer.

Thanks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17355399

4G is allready ready to be rolled out in the UK - and Orange are trying to do under a current licence - the 800/2600 frequenceies cant be used yet as analogue tv uses them currently

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HalloweenJack View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17355399

4G is allready ready to be rolled out in the UK - and Orange are trying to do under a current licence - the 800/2600 frequenceies cant be used yet as analogue tv uses them currently
    Did you read the article?

Vodafone signalled that it might challenge the move.

"It comes as a surprise that the regulator is now considering giving the largest player in the market permission to use its existing spectrum for 4G services before the rules for the auction have even been concluded or it has divested spectrum as required by the European Commission," a spokeswoman said.
    Vodafone, O2 and Three are less than happy with Orange/T-Mobile getting a years' exclusive access to LTE simply because they had a license for 1800Mhz, which at the moment is the only frequency available in the UK.

This is not over yet.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

"Your holding it <in the> wrong <country>"
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

o2 and vodaphone have access to 1800mhz - they didnt bid on a larger slice because they wanted 900mhz (700mhz in the uk is used for freeview and 2100mhz is for satellite comms)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    is it really though? Its already been decided what spectrum we will be using, apple have only just added this "marketing", fair enough if the standard hadnt been decided and already being implemented but it is... id understand if perhaps they left something on the hardware as yes that is hard to change in time but this is simply their webpage, you shouldnt be adding that marketing crap .

I may as well say that if i launch phone X this year that its 5G ready... except it never will be as the hardware doesnt support it...
    Well, I'd say, yes, it is.

It's purely a marketing decision. If the network standards are announced, but nobody is using them, does a manufacturer build in (and incur the cost) to provide that facility when nobody is yet using it, or do they wait until demand is there for people to use it before building it in.

Providing people know what the product will, and more importantly won't, support, then there's no problem. If 4G support is a make-or-break feature, they won't buy. If it isn't, they will. My bet is that they will, and that not having 4G support will make minimal differences to sales in what almost certainly will be a top-selling product.

It's the same chicken and egg that always comes with technology advances. Without market support, users won't buy in, and without users prepared to buy, technology won't get to the market.

Sometimes, manufacturers have to provide the technology and hope buyers follow. And when they do that, sometimes buyers do follow, and sometimes they don't. Or don't in sufficient numbers. An example of the latter would be consumer implementations of Sony's Minidisc technology, which was overtaken by events. An example of the former would be the original cellphones. We had to have products on shelves, and moreover, a cellphone infrastructure in place, before the first actual phone was sold.

In fact, it's a bit like telephones in the first place. If you're the very first person to buy a phone, who are you going to call? When the first HD (or SuperHD) TV came/comes onto the market, do people buy it before there's content, or do you wait for content? When did people stop buying LP decks and start buying CD players? When there was enough content, and yet, there's only a motivation for manufacturers to provide content when there's a big enough base of suitably equipped buyers.

Which is why all these things take time and investment, and not everyone jumps on any given bandwagon just because the tech is available.

3D TV is a classic example. That is being pushed quite hard by manufacturers, but there is a distinctly lukewarm reception from consumers, not least because of minimal content. And the jury is (IMHO) still out on that. My guess is that it is, and unless the need for silly glasses changes, always will be a bit of a niche product, if indeed it survives at all, which is may or may not. After all, compared to VHS, betamax was in most ways a superior tech, but yet, it died for lack of consumer take-up. It's possible 4G will too, with a lot depending on pricing.

So, IMHO, yup, chicken and egg.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Of course Saracen, in that respect I fully agree there is a need of a chicken and the egg form.

However, taking a bit from your examples....
    You advertise the first phone, it can make phone calls --> someone buys it, then in a year or two they actually have someone to call ---> they try and call that person but they find out that all though it was said to support the local landline connections from some providers, the ones in the UK where he purchased it they dont support the type of line, so he cant call his friend.

It certainly wont bring in much more sales(It wouldnt sway me but I have no desire to buy a tablet regardless) and regardless of the fact that full implementation could be many years off and many Ipad generations. Its the fact that Apple are saying it supports this type of technology and they even specify "local carrier", if they said something like "international carrier" then yeah id say they should be allowed to as that covers their asses as it means it would only work in some countries. But they come here saying it will work here but it never will...

By Apples marketing department reckoning, all 3G devices are compatible with the UK 4G network .
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information