Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: News - Sony looks at disc-tag technology to block use of pre-owned games

Thanks

Re: News - Sony looks at disc-tag technology to block use of pre-owned games

The other issue here is that it's very hard to get new, sealed games that are over a year or two old unless it's a multimillion selling title that's gone onto a "Platinum" range, or some nonsense like it.

Unless you want to pay a premium on Ebay of course.

So Sony, how about you give me the ability to actually buy every single game you've released first?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • DannyM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-2400
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 - PC-12800
      • Storage:
      • 120GB A-Data SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB Nvidia ASUS 560Ti DirectuII
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 620W HX Modular PSU
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" Dell UltraSharp U2311H
      • Internet:
      • 50Mb Virgin Media Cable Broadband

Microsoft was the one who originally came up with this idea last year, or at least it floated around the net for a while that the new Xbox wouldn't allow pre-owned games so it just seems a case of Sony jumping on the band wagon and I dare say it's actually nothing to do with the hardware manufacturers but instead the game publishers having a big say.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

I'm not mad about consoles, but I have owned a PS1, PS2, and now a PS3 as well.

I'm sure for the die-hard fans, it won't make a difference, but for those not so fussed, like myself, this would be the tipping point at which I wouldn't bother ever buying a console again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deejayburnout View Post
    Yet another form of corporations trying to maximise profits.

Would be stupid to kill the pre-owned game buying as I bet at least 50% of games owned are used.

[...]
    I've got no issue with corporations trying to maximise profit (I am not convinced that Steam sales are there because Valve is being charitable). But as you've said in the second line, it might not work that way.

As with many here, this could be a deal breaker. Most of my PS3 games are pre-owned and.. come to think of it, I've never paid full retail price* on any PS3 games. £25 is probably as the most I've spent, if that. I guess I am just spoilt by the price of PC games.

Registered+
    Thanks

Will not happen in Europe. But no doubt it means they will cost more! It doesn't seem to have changed much for other game manufacturers, still waiting to be able to offload a load of my old/completed steam games that are supposedly " only rented"!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    I've got no issue with corporations trying to maximise profit (I am not convinced that Steam sales are there because Valve is being charitable).

Personally, I'm convinced that even when just about any company is being charitable, it's doing it because it's good for the company, like good PR, not for the sake of being charitable. Or I sure hope so, because it's company money, which means shareholders money, not that of directors/managers .... except when they are also the owners.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    I'm not sure I get your point here. I think the software houses would factor into the price the costs of running all the multiplayer servers. They then make money over the lifetime of the product with DLC, merchandising etc, and now they want to stop you selling on if you don't want the product any more? Are you telling me that Activision or whoever are scraping by in order to keep CoD servers going? No, they make huge profits on the original sales, huge profits on the DLC, and they probably get a cut off MS for the cost of online gaming on their consoles.
    It's a negative feedback loop...

If all profits must be made on first user sales because all content licences are privately transferable to a 2nd+ user (as the euro courts seem to think) then retail prices must be high enough to pay for all things and make the profits the companies need to survive.

High prices further encourage the pre-owned market which means less first user sales and so retail prices rise. High prices sadly also means more piracy so retail sales fall and prices therefore must rise on retail AND as a consequence pre-owned due to smaller supply in market. As prices climb the problem worsens...

Its also really unfair on those of us who are too busy and play a game over such a long time its lost all resale value. Thus alienating buyers and making us hold out for sales.

From the publishers perspective killing pre-owned helps break this cycle meaning they increase retail sales, and then could lower prices to further increase sales and reduce incentive for piracy and increase sales even more. Somewhat lower unit margins on vastly increased first user retail sales probably means much more profit in the long run.

Of course its a profit driven idea, they're businesses not charities and will always walk the careful line between tolerably milking and alienating customers to maximise returns. That's what all businesses do, its what the shareholders demand!

Super Nerd
    Thanks

You're dead right.

Whingers should try establishing a not for profit games developer and see how many worthwhile investors sign up... I reckon it'd be big fat 0.

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb

Quote Originally Posted by mikerr View Post
    Meh discs, can't we just move to a downloadable steam-like model ?

Then just use the disk to one-time load onto the HDD.
    As much as I like Steam, I still like to take a game to a friend's house and play splitscreen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    I've got no issue with corporations trying to maximise profit (I am not convinced that Steam sales are there because Valve is being charitable). But as you've said in the second line, it might not work that way.
    Sales are there for when game sales slow down after the initial interest dries up and it brings in a different target audience; those that could not afford the full price release, and new consumers who never played the game/genre before and are potentially someone who would enjoy the game and buy the next one on release day.

Quote Originally Posted by steve threlfall View Post
    As much as I like Steam, I still like to take a game to a friend's house and play splitscreen.
    Just log into your account from their house, easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hesham1516 View Post
    Just log into your account from their house, easy.
    And then update the console firmware, install the game, install any patches, install any DLC.

It's one of the biggest issues I have with my PS3. With all the updates, slow PSN speed and install times, I can literately be waiting over 30 minutes to be able to play something.

I'm with Steve on this one. Take the disk to a mates, pop it in, play game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

OilSheikh

If Sony does this [content removed] I won't even buy used games or the occassional new games!

Mod edit: references to piracy removed
    Last edited by jim; 04-01-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks
    • flearider's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asrock taichi x370
      • CPU:
      • ryzen 1700@4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16gb gskill flare cl14 3200
      • Storage:
      • 500mb 850 evo + 1tb hd space
      • Graphics card(s):
      • gigabyte r9 290
      • PSU:
      • evga 850
      • Case:
      • LD PC-V8 ATX/HPTX Red 2xtripple 1xquad rads
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • toshiba 32"
      • Internet:
      • 65 d/30 up ee

well din't the eu make it leagle for us to trade and sell secondhand games ???so sony doing this would be breaking the law ??
    What does it matter now if men believe or no?
    What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
    To murmur in pity that my words were true
    (Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)

To see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ....

Registered+
    Thanks

"Sony won't do it cos it would be commercial suicide"

That's not stopped them trying to kill the Vita with 70 quid 32GB memory cards.

Thanks

sony are killing whats left of sony

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by babylon100 View Post
    "Sony won't do it cos it would be commercial suicide"

That's not stopped them trying to kill the Vita with 70 quid 32GB memory cards.
    Which is why I said expect to see them do it...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information