Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: News - Xbox One ‘A New Generation Revealed’

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: News - Xbox One ‘A New Generation Revealed’

Well, it requires an internet connection, uses a Live account, and won't support existing 360 games.

That's my decision made for me. No new Xbox in this house.

Thanks

Looks rotten. Requires xbox live just to connect to anything worthwhile (may as well be a microsoft internet tax) and it's just really uninspiring.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • B0FHY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock X79 Extreme4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 3930K @ 4.9GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4* 4GB Kingston
      • Storage:
      • RevoDrive 3 X2 240GB, 2x1TB Raid Array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce 660Ti in SLI
      • PSU:
      • Tigan Modular 620w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 H/P
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp 27"
      • Internet:
      • ADSL2+ @ ~20MB

So in short, this console is Jeremy Clarkson - moar powwaarrrrrr" - and as such brings nothing new (that people want) to the party...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Djini's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z68A-GD55
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @4.7GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 500GB SATA3 + 64GB OCZ Agility 3 intel RSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 680
      • Case:
      • Lian Li Aluminium
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama Prolite E2409HDS
      • Internet:
      • 60Gbps (Virgin)

"Mehdi demonstrates the Xbox switnching to live TV,"

Demonstrates the what now?

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

It does look boring and bulky and they just seemed to talk about TV/media for about two thirds of the presentation or is just me? EA and COD for the remaining third?
    I'm probably not going to buy one to be honest.

Thanks
    • MrBozack's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k @4.47mHz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LP Blue DDR3
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 3 SSD Array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD 7850 OC Windforce X2 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX 650W
      • Case:
      • SilverStone LC17
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro with MCE
      • Monitor(s):
      • Toshiba 40" LCD
      • Internet:
      • 24mb Copper

I bet there was champagne corks popping in Sony's offices. They should have stuck with Illumiroom.

Thanks
    • davesom555's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2600@4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 3000mhz
      • Storage:
      • 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME + multiple 2.5" SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 700w
      • Case:
      • NZXT H400i mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 27" QHD 144mhz
      • Internet:
      • 200mb

How big is it? Is it called the Xbox One as it's the same size as the original Xbox?

Probably will buy one, but they still need to focus on games as I only watch a couple of shows on TV and they get saved by my sky box. TV might be a big part of some of people's lives (ie 9 hours a day watching tv), but i'd imagine these people don't really play games that much. Although having said that they may have a casual console for gaming every now and then; it may be natural for them to buy a console with some tv like features to go with it.
    Last edited by davesom555; 22-05-2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: grammar

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by B0FHY View Post
    So in short, this console is Jeremy Clarkson - moar powwaarrrrrr" - and as such brings nothing new (that people want) to the party...
    No, did you read any of the articles?

Completely different system architecture - game devs have been very worried about the costs of developing for propriatory systems for some time. This, and the PS4, are based on the x86 instruction set & 64 bit extensions, just like the PC is and the tools that devs use to make the games in the first place. Suddenly there is both a simpler system to code for, and a bigger market place to spread the costs around.

The game/profile system is also new - it's like an improved version of Steam so not only do you just buy a game once for your profile and can now play it anywhere, you can apparently resell games, which you can't on Steam.

Then for those of us who aren't perhaps interested in a purely gaming device, they've opened up a bunch of reasons to have this as an under TV box that gives you your streaming movies, HDD recording, blu-ray playing etc. At the moment I've got a couple of boxes, and if this does a good enough job I'd consider replacing them with it (or the PS4 if it can do the same). Don't forget the PS3 got a bunch of sales because it was a good route into Blu-ray (and came with a games console tacked on) for some

Thanks

It did well hiding the buttons, it still look like a modern version of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pi...e_CLD-A100.jpg or this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:3D...onsole-Set.png to me.

Well, looks won't kill a console, but what the other things they propose might unless they are willing to price their games below the PS4. That's, of course, unless Sony decides to do the same thing.

(Edit: If you can resell games, via the platforms, then that changes things somewhat although other issues remain. Wait and see..)

Thanks

This sums up the reveal to me : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw It felt trashy, like it should have a section dedicated to buying guns and massive cars. OH wait, and it plays games, yup.

I like how MS mocked Sony for not revealing what the PS4 looks like, but honestly, who cares? The Sony reveal seemed much more mature to me and if I'm going to get anything in the next gen, it's going to be the PS4 and I am very surprised to be saying that.

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by MrBozack View Post
    I bet there was champagne corks popping in Sony's offices. They should have stuck with Illumiroom.
    Lol, yes thats what i thought... and did anyone else keep an eye on Sony's share price during the presentation? It jumped nearly 10%! To be fair, if you want a media hub the Xbox One looks good, but I can't help feeling they will be fighting on too many fronts to win.
    Last edited by The Hand; 22-05-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Raz316 View Post
    I like how MS mocked Sony for not revealing what the PS4 looks like, but honestly, who cares? The Sony reveal seemed much more mature to me and if I'm going to get anything in the next gen, it's going to be the PS4 and I am very surprised to be saying that.
    Even without knowing any firm details about the system or the price? Madness

I'm looking forward to actually finding out something a bit more useful, and even then will wait for actual user reviews before putting down any money, but both PS4 and XBox One are more appealing to me than the previous generation (which I didn't buy).

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jasp View Post
    One seriously ugly machine, in contrast the Xbox 360 looks like a piece of art.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, I think the 360 is a loud and tactless statement entirely unsuited to a lot of household living rooms, though it might suit the teenage kid's bedroom. This new one might be a bit bleh, but at least it's not an eyesore.

I suspect the issue for MS is this .... the One is an attempt (the success of which remains to be seen) to broaden the device from a games console with some media functions, to a widely appealing media device that happens to be a games console too.

I had to do a lot of fast talking to get domestic management to agree to "that contraption" (the 360) in the lounge, and I suspect the only reason I got away with it is that I sensibly got pre-approval for the machine .... with her having actually seen it.

So .... if MS want it to appeal to the widest possible market, they have to ask themselves ....

1) how many serious gamers will not buy if it's a bland, "boring" design?

2) how many general consumers will not buy if it's a loud fashion statement?

My bet is that appearance is fairly low down the priority list for dedicated gamers, for whom power and functionality will be far more important, but much more important for the mass market if the device is going to be on display in a lounge.

It is, in my view, always going to be the case that boring is far safer, far less contentious, than an "adventurous" design. To put that another way, the marketing department over-ruled the creatives.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Even without knowing any firm details about the system or the price? Madness
    I did say IF. But yes, the impression I get so far is PS4 is for games, Xbox is for TV, tv, TV! LIiiive TV, tv, TVTVTV, Football oh and games.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Hmm, I've just watched the whole XBO launch (on my XBox - what else?) and I've got mixed thoughts. I really like the new features, especially the smooth app(lication) switching - and hopefully they're going to really work on the UK TV apps because they're pretty clunky to use at the moment (especially the Demand5 one!). The BD drive also gets a thumbs up from me - especially in light of the rumours of digital delivery only. What I'm not so keen on is the looks of the One - this was the best design they had? Seriously?! I won't go so far as to call it "ugly", but the current 360 Slim definitely has a bigger visual appeal.

The install-to-drive and then file the disk sounds like a good idea to me, as does the emphasis that the second user market is not going to be squashed. What I'm not so happy about is that MS seem to want 2nd user titles to have no price difference to new titles - where's your environmental awareness? Oh, and while they're about it how about persuading some of the publishers not to go putting officially "optional", but actually mandatory, DLC into their titles (yes EA I do mean YOU).

Like the new controller and Kinect, but am a bit concerned that they'll increase the purchase price for XBO and if the controller has a non-replaceable battery. The lack of XBox360 title compatibility at the moment is also a big deal for me - and I've got fingers (and toes) crossed that MS are able to use the power of their new architecture to deliver an emulation layer that lets old titles be used. Oh, and if they can do that at launch then that'll please an awful lot of people.

As to the COD segment that finished the video all I can say is "damn you IW!". I'd planned to avoid Ghosts as an example of "yet another respin of CoD:MW", but the information in that video (especially of the "improved narrative") has me interested. Will be particularly interested to see whether the XBO version is "better" than the PC version - which'd be a turnaround.

Now for the $64,000,000 question ... how much in the UK
    (and will there be a trade-in programme for XB owners?)

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • CK_1985's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H87N-WiFi mini-ITX
      • CPU:
      • i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce GTX660ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG-05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Fibre

Definitely a mixed bag for me right now. Can't decide if I like the looks - way more bulky and boxy than I was expecting. Have a feeling that it may make more sense 'in the flesh' as it looks like it might appear a bit more luxury up close (quality of materials, finish etc.). From afar I do agree with the comparisons to an old VCR! I do partly wonder whether the boxiness is slightly out of necessity - must have some pretty meaty cooling in there given the hardware specs... will be very interesting to see a teardown once they're out in the wild, see how they've magaed the cooling.

As for the whole entertainment vs 'hardcore gaming' argument, I actually prefer the direction this is going - if they can get the content offering right in the UK (big if) then I might be tempted to get one because of the media features, not in spite of them. I'm thinking Netflix, LoveFilm, iPlayer, 4OD, itv player, spotify, Blinkbox... then I'd be interested!

I'm also wondering, given that it's x86 architecture and has IE, whether you could just use the web versions of all of the above? Or have I missed something...?
    "I want to be young and wild, then I want to be middle aged and rich, then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending that I'm deaf..."

my Hexus.Trust

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information