• Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Re: News - Microsoft to drop 'SkyDrive' name worldwide after appeal failure

Quote Originally Posted by gman1981 View Post
    Surely Sky do have cloud services, Sky Go for starters is a cloud based streaming service.
    Sky markets Go as "On Demand TV", and it isn't a separate service from their broadcast subscription service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye46 View Post
    What's wrong with Microsoft Cloud Drive [MCD]?
    Sounds a bit like McDonald's. Would you like fries and a lawsuit with that?

To me this is ridiculous - if you use an extremely widely used word like 'Sky' as your brandname, don't be surprised if it causes confusion.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    Except Ferrari actually makes cars, and Harrods actually has a shop. Sky doesn't have any cloud services, storage or otherwise. Also, Microsoft called it "Microsoft SkyDrive", not "Sky Drive". I very much doubt that it occurred to anyone at Microsoft that some backwater broadcasting company in a few islands 3,000 miles away existed, much less that they had any interest in usurping their reputation for being anti-competitive, fleecing their customers, and otherwise being asshats towards everyone.
    You haven't read the court judgment, have you?

MS started out calling it Microsoft Live SkyDrive, but that evolved several times, through Windows Live Folders, but was accessed through logging in to a MS account. It then morphed again to Sky Drive, but withinSky Live.

MS applied for a trademark in May 2008 and Sky registered an opposition. And won.

It was not until mid 2010 that MS started marketing SkyDrive in a way that was independent from Live, and an MS environment.

It was not until October 2011 that MS began marketing SkyDrive separately, and this was, in the words of an MS marketing manager "part of a strategy to focus on individual the product names rather than the Windows Live service".

We then ended up with links embedded into emails, for example, branded entirely SkyDrive, with no reference to MS. The recipient of the email sees no MS links.

Part of the judgment reads
    There is no dispute that the recipient of an email with a SkyDrive picture link attached neither sees Windows Live branding nor anything to indicate that SkyDrive is connected with Microsoft. It was also accepted by Mr Hall that in such circumstances, the recipient was not necessarily a Microsoft or Windows Live Account holder and therefore had not accessed SkyDrive through the filter of a Microsoft account.
    The Mr Hall referred to is MS General Manager Business Planning.

Your claim, therefore, that MS called it Microsoft SkyDrive not SkyDrive is, therefore, simply not correct.

Also, before MS adopted this strategy, and an overt, deliberate strategy at that, of calling it SkyDrive, divorced from the MS branding, they had already had the trademark court ruling, and LOST. Sure, they appealed, but they went ahead anyway despite losing, and then lost the appeal as well, that being the recent appeal court judgment I've been referring to, and quoting from.

As for the point about making cars, thank you for making my point for me.

If you produce ANYTHING, "passing it off" as a Ferrari product, or a Harrods product, or BMW, Rolls Royce, Rolex, etc, then you are abusing the trademark.

So, two points.

First, it's not about whether Sky offers cloud storage. They did, they may do again, but it's not the point. Trademark law protects categories of operation, "classes" as they're known. Ferrari make cars, yes? Try selling Ferrari branded clothes, watches, handbags, wallets and leather goods, etc, using the Ferrari "brand", their name and more especially their logo, and see what happens to you. Ditto, Rolex, Harrods, etc. And of course, such companies often do produce "merchandising", meaning Ferrari (and Rolls, Mercedes, Aston Martin, BMW, Lotus, and many others) might all make cars, but they also protect their brand in all sorts of other areas, and indeed, operate in all sorts of other areas.

It's the "passing off" that can get you in trouble. Years ago, a small shop opened up, called themselves Horrods (IIRC) and adopted the gold on green lettering of Harrods, the same typeface, etc, and produced, for instance, carrier bags that, unless you noticed the "a" in Harrods had morphed into "o" in Horrods, would be mistaken for the world-famous and distinctly up-market Knightsbridge store by most people.

It was, arguably, seeking to trade using Harrods good name.

Brands are, as I said a few posts ago, hugely valuable assets, and just about any company seeks to protect it's brands. Sky, for all that I personally dislike so much about them, had every reason to have the hump over MS abusing their trademark. MS rolled the dice on this and lost, not once, but twice, in court.

Finally, those "classes" I mentioned .... Sky might not offer cloud storage, but cloud storage is not a class. It's a part of a broader class that Sky emphatically do genuinely operate and provide goods and services in, AND for which they held the registered trademark long before MS got around to it.

Oh, and finally finally, it's not about some "backwater" broadcasting company on a few islands. The case doesn't revolve around UK trademarks (UKTM for short) but CTM as well. The C, in this case, stands for "Community", as in European Community. Hardly a few backwater islands, even for the high and mighty MS.

But even if it were just these islands, MS aren't doing it from "3,000 miles away". They do, you know, have a decent-sized office here, and local lawyers, etc, precisely to ensure they comply with local (and EU) rules and laws,

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Well, it's not exactly snappy, but my bet is if they'd carried on marketing SkyDrive as MS Skydrive, or Microsoft SkyDrive, the outcome may well have been different.

But remember, they made a deliberate strategic decision to separate SkyDrive from the Microsoft branding, having already had a trademark court ruling that it infringed Sky's trademark.

They also tried to persuade the court that "Sky" was "allusive" of the internet, and that most people understood Sky referred to the internet. Huh?

The judge, quite rightly IMHO, crapped on that claim from a considerable height,

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

That's the stock market symbol for MacDonalds.

I'm sure there's many highly paid "branding" experts hard at work (for a change!) at Redmond, trying to come up with a replacement name.

mCloud anyone? Although I think "uSpace" would also be available.

Maybe we need a Hexus QOTW or poll?

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Apparently Sky have previously tried to do the same thing with skype ages ago (I just read about it from ages ago), so yes, they are over protective ******s.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information