Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - AMD Radeon R9 290X pictured for the world to see

Spreadie

Re: News - AMD Radeon R9 290X pictured for the world to see

Quote Originally Posted by Kovoet View Post
    Why the nvidia fan club even bother looking I will never know. They will always try and slate it. They need as Ati if they didn't have could you imagine the prices then. Nvidia cards are already stupidly priced. Not all of us are named Rockefeller or Rothschild with a few million in the bank.

Are nvidia cards any good, of cause they are but they need the competition.
    Screw u, n00b AMD fanboi!!!111oneone Nvidia r teh best, init?!

I rather hope AMD's latest cards tear the 700 series a new one. AMD could do with some time at the top of the pile, to generate some more revenue to help with future development; and compete on both GPU and CPU fronts. I'm tired of Intel releasing incremental CPU updates and price gouging because of limited competition. If the R9 series kick ass, we'll see nvidia's top end model prices tumble.

2. Received thanks from:

Kovoet (26-09-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jigger View Post
    Mantle does sound awesome. A super fast API thats open to all GPU's is what PC gaming needs.

Take note nVidia * O P E N * to the whole industry.
    What about Mantle is open? As far as I can tell, it's an API developed by AMD for use with AMD cards. No different from CUDA or PhysX.

Registered+
    Thanks

moeburn you're either high or lying. My 7950 @ 1150/1600 and 3570k @ 4.5ghz cant even 60 fps all games on max.

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Quote Originally Posted by moeburn View Post
    I paid $200 for my Radeon 5770, 5 years ago. I can still play the latest games at 60fps at max settings at 1080p (PayDay 2, GRID 2, for example),
    Yeah , they are the latest games....

and I can play even the most demanding of games like BF3 and SC: Blacklist at 30fps at mid settings at 1080p.
    So you can play latest games at Mid settings and get 30fsp, not the 60 FSP on high settings like you claimed above.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by valhar2000 View Post
    What about Mantle is open? As far as I can tell, it's an API developed by AMD for use with AMD cards. No different from CUDA or PhysX.
    Mantle is open source. Everything Nvidia offer to the industry is proprietary or come with strings attached.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbobgod1969 View Post
    Mantle does sound exciting, so long as the performance & stability is there. Anything that distances Microsoft and their control of DirectX from gaming has got to be a good thing! If Mantle is truly cross-platform, maybe Valve's vision of Linux being the future of gaming might be right

Another interesting thing to come out of the AMD presentation is their focus on hardware positional audio. I've always thought that the emphasis on visuals at the virtual exclusion of audio in games in recent years was a lost opportunity.
    The audio in the BF4 video was great. The fire fight in the radar room at the start with headphones was excellent.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by jigger View Post
    Mantle is open source.
    I highly doubt it will be open source, but the rumour is that it will be an open API - that is, AMD will publish the specifications, which should allow nvidia (and intel/via/other graphics manufacturers, should they so choose) to write drivers that will respond to Mantle API calls as well as DX ones. But since AMD will control Mantle, the chances are it will always work better on AMD hardware as they'll always be ahead of the development curve in terms of the drivers and API development.

Of course, if AMD want Mantle to be truly cross-platform they will need to look at the Linux world, and either massively improve their binary blob drivers or start fully supporting the open-source drivers. And if they did the latter it would give their competitors a fairly detailed look into the internal workings of Mantle anyway...

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

I paid $200 for my Radeon 5770, 5 years ago.
    I won't question your performance measurements as others have already covered that, but I would like to know how you managed to buy a 5770 a year before it was launched in October 2009?

I haven't watched the video yet, it's too long! What I want to see is performance figures and some bullet points on the tech, have these been published anywhere yet?
    Last edited by KeyboardDemon; 26-09-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    I haven't watched the video yet, it's too long! What I want to see is performance figures and some bullet points on the tech, have these been published anywhere yet?
    Tech, no. Performance of the range apart from the top one, yes - but they are wildly vague 3dmark firestrike scores which seem to be remarkably conservative (ie identical to the current generation of cards more or less).

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

It looks like the R9 290X is $600 before tax:

http://www.techpowerup.com/191543/ra...ice-point.html

This puts it $50 below the pre-tax price of the GTX780 in the US.

Edit!!

Hands-on with the card:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MU-D...tu.be&t=11m38s

It seems to light up!!

BTW,the card(according to the first link) uses a 384 bit memory controller.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 27-09-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks

I keep seeing people writing that mantle and physix are the same (proprietary wise ). But nvidia purposefully block physical from working on AMD cards, so unless that has changed that seems to me to be the biggest most obvious difference.
    Last edited by Kumagoro; 27-09-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by Kumagoro View Post
    I keep seeing people writing that mantle and cuda are the same (proprietary wise ). But nvidia purposefully block cuda from working on AMD cards, so unless that has changed that seems to me to be the biggest most obvious difference.
    There has yet to be an official annoucement regarding the openness or otherwise of Mantle. All the slides have simply said that it will work on any Graphics Core Next GPU - so that locks out all other manufacturers and also pre-7-series AMD graphics cards, as well as Llano/Trinity/Richland/Brazos APUs - and that it enables additional performance from AMD hardware; neither of those is a particularly inclusive statement. One of the articles about it said the journalist had been told it would be an open API, but that's yet to be confirmed or denied by AMD. So until we hear something official, I don't think it's surprising that a lot of people are being very wary about it.

If AMD do open up the API so nvidia, intel et al can benefit from the improvements brought through a low-level API, then that'll be fair enough. But you can understand the temptation to keep it an AMD-only feature, and given how well AMD's dev relations team have been doing recently I could quite easily see them essentially owning the PC gaming space by having their £100 GPUs outperform nvidia's £300+ GPUs in Mantle-enabled games...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    I highly doubt it will be open source, but the rumour is that it will be an open API - that is, AMD will publish the specifications, which should allow nvidia (and intel/via/other graphics manufacturers, should they so choose) to write drivers that will respond to Mantle API calls as well as DX ones. But since AMD will control Mantle, the chances are it will always work better on AMD hardware as they'll always be ahead of the development curve in terms of the drivers and API development.

Of course, if AMD want Mantle to be truly cross-platform they will need to look at the Linux world, and either massively improve their binary blob drivers or start fully supporting the open-source drivers. And if they did the latter it would give their competitors a fairly detailed look into the internal workings of Mantle anyway...
    There is no copyright in an API anyway. AMD would not be able to stop nVidia duplicating the API, provided they did a clean room implementation (i.e. Didn't copy any of the code that implements the API). Google vs Oracle pretty much laid that to rest (although there will be appeal). Unless the API itself is patented, in which case they could enforce exclusivity based on that.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    There has yet to be an official annoucement regarding the openness or otherwise of Mantle. All the slides have simply said that it will work on any Graphics Core Next GPU - so that locks out all other manufacturers and also pre-7-series AMD graphics cards, as well as Llano/Trinity/Richland/Brazos APUs - and that it enables additional performance from AMD hardware; neither of those is a particularly inclusive statement. One of the articles about it said the journalist had been told it would be an open API, but that's yet to be confirmed or denied by AMD. So until we hear something official, I don't think it's surprising that a lot of people are being very wary about it.

If AMD do open up the API so nvidia, intel et al can benefit from the improvements brought through a low-level API, then that'll be fair enough. But you can understand the temptation to keep it an AMD-only feature, and given how well AMD's dev relations team have been doing recently I could quite easily see them essentially owning the PC gaming space by having their £100 GPUs outperform nvidia's £300+ GPUs in Mantle-enabled games...
    http://www.techspot.com/news/54134-a...rformance.html

We've been told at the GPU14 Tech Day event that the Mantle API is open, so theoretically Nvidia could purpose the technology in their GPUs. It should also make cross-development between PC and console games a lot easier, and also more incredible for those with a high-performance AMD GPU.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dottorrent View Post
    This is a very good reason i'll only go for AMD GPUs. They innovate and become no.1 for GPUs quickly. Nvidia is going to need to go overtime with the 800 series next year to impress me and the world.
    The closing statement of "From what we have learned thus far from snatched conversations, AMD, it seems, has gone down the same route as Nvidia in designing a card for single-GPU leadership. This means an architecture that relies on parallel width more than frequency." completely destroys what little merit your point had.

AMD have gone in the same direction as Nvidia with a wider bus on the card. It's also competition for the GTX780 (as far as this preview hints) rather than "no.1 quickly".

For this reason I buy whatever card offers the best priceerformance ratio. Being a fanboy gives you little obvious benefit. Being a fairly smart shopper means that better cards or better value for money keeps both camps competitive and everyone benefits.

17. Received thanks from:

JimmyBoy (04-10-2013)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information