Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - Microsoft discontinues then resumes Windows 7 retail sales

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Re: News - Microsoft discontinues then resumes Windows 7 retail sales

Quote Originally Posted by edzieba View Post
    I'd stake a large amount of money on the uptick in Win 7 adoption not being due to consumer Start Screen refuseniks, but to businesses completing their Win7 rollouts prior to the end of XP support.
    I'll join you on that, people all too often forget that big business is always way behind the curve. It often takes them a few years to even plan the migration nevermind actually doing it.

As an old dog that can learn new tricks I like Windows 8 and 8.1. I never actually liked the start menu - it's a fiddly annoying muddle of a mess that was only saved by the addition of the search box. The start screen, improved search etc are a vast improvement IMHO and having spent a few minutes to organise my start screen and learn the keyboard shortcuts and tricks I now find it quicker to access apps than Windows 7-.

I never use MUI apps, but I would like to see them introduce the feature of having them in a window on the desktop, ModernMix is quite unstable so it would be good to see it done properly.

Thanks

I will upgrade to w8.1 (via download) if but only if:

1. MS does not assume that I am American because I use English and set the keyboard default to American
    2. They do not reset the screen wallpaper for both Desktop and metro screens
    3. They do not randomnly change the metro tile colours (mostly on my other machine to a horrible day glo orange) or provide tools to allow me to reset the tile colours (and maybe add transparency to the background colour for the tiles)

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    I'll join you on that, people all too often forget that big business is always way behind the curve. It often takes them a few years to even plan the migration nevermind actually doing it.
    Lets not delude ourselves here. Big business IT is never going even to touch Windows 8 with a 10 foot barge pole. They ignored Vista and it was way less of a support nightmare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    Lets not delude ourselves here. Big business IT is never going even to touch Windows 8 with a 10 foot barge pole. They ignored Vista and it was way less of a support nightmare.
    I think that has far more to do with timing of upgrade cycles and actual need rather than some opinion-based hate-rambling on internet forums. Most businesses held out for Windows 7, then planned and started their migrations and given that was < 4 years ago the hardware is probably not due for refresh yet and Windows 7 (unlike XP) has nothing major wrong with it and isn't that old, so if it ain't broke... Basically it's more a passive rejection of "no need to, everything is working just fine as it is" than it is an active rejection of "we can't in any universe ever because it won't work". Changing OS in a large company is a long expensive project, it won't be done without a compelling reason... Microsoft's biggest competition as always is their previous versions.

There isn't actually a solid technical reason (i.e. not a reason based on personal opinion of interfaces) why Windows 8 cannot work in a business environment, the start screen still launches things, the desktop behaves just like a Windows 7 desktop and nothing major was removed under the hood. The store can be disabled by group policy and all the usual applications work in desktop mode as normal.

I know it works, I use Windows 8.1 at work, on a standard HP desktop, with 3 non-touch screens, no multi-finger touchpad (just a plain keyboard and mouse), on the domain and with no changes to group policies that are also applied to the 7 users. It doesn't slow me down or damage productivity in the slightest, in fact it has great benefits with the multi-screen enhancements for the desktop.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Timing has nothing to do with it at all. The deployment of a release is predicated on IT management signing off on it, and they're not going to sign off on it when all their IT guys are telling them that they'll be inundated with support problems from clueless users who can't figure out how to start programmes much less shut down their computer. Because no matter how dumb you think the average computer user is, 70% of corporate users are even dumber. Hell, most corporates have to retrain their users with the XP->7 transition, and that was a trivial adjustment people have to make. Retraining them for 8 would require *much* *much* more training because the entire paradigm and the contexts involved is vastly different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Timing has nothing to do with it at all. The deployment of a release is predicated on IT management signing off on it, and they're not going to sign off on it when all their IT guys are telling them that they'll be inundated with support problems from clueless users who can't figure out how to start programmes much less shut down their computer. Because no matter how dumb you think the average computer user is, 70% of corporate users are even dumber. Hell, most corporates have to retrain their users with the XP->7 transition, and that was a trivial adjustment people have to make. Retraining them for 8 would require *much* *much* more training because the entire paradigm and the contexts involved is vastly different.
    I work in semi-corporate IT so I don't need a lecture on user daftness... Windows XP --> 7 wasn't "trivial" for the average computer user that's why they needed retraining. Might have been trivial for some IT professionals but then I didn't find the transition to Windows 8.x worse than trivial, for me it was very easy to get used to.

My opinion of Windows 8 is very positive but I still have no plan (or desire to make a plan) to update everyone around me to Windows 8, I'm not going far enough along the road to assess user training needs nevermind attempt to gain sign-off on a budget and rollout. The suggestion falls at the first hurdle where I ask "Is it needed?" and the solid answer is "Hell no!". Windows 7 is doing everything the users need it to do, their hardware is recent and everyone is happy so the very small benefits of an OS upgrade are not even worth the effort of a reinstall (so thinking about it stops right there), never mind the monetary cost, licensing issues or any training time on top.

Whatever you like to think about internet hate-noise affecting "big IT" policy it's really far more simple, a long and expensive project like an OS upgrade on thousands of PCs has to justify itself by offering something worthy enough in return and Windows 7 --> Windows 8.1 just doesn't, simple, end of. When considering an OS upgrade the first and most important question (before anything you mention is even thought about) is "Do we actually have any reason/need to do it?". Corporate IT is all about stability and necessity rather than excitement and modernity etc, see how they held on to Windows XP year after year, they stuck with it right up to the point where it became necessary because XP was just too outdated and full of security holes etc (a lot of offices are still on XP). At the time of release Vista was sort of needed but but not yet to the point that it overrode the concerns, user training etc you mention (I faced that decision myself and kept people on XP)... Windows 7 was the right OS at the right time, it polished Vista and arrived with the right incentives.

Also don't think for one minute that "all their IT guys are telling them" would necessarily stop an IT manager from initiating a project... It's that manager's job to weigh up and make the decision rather than to follow mob rule... I've been in more than one company where decisions were foisted downwards regardless of the majority opinion of the workforce, for better and worse.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Company I work for (at the moment at least - they are currently doing one of those accountant-lead "workforce management" processes) has already started their Windows 8 rollout ... cautiously.

Same deal as the Windows XP->7 migration, they "beta" it first to a limited group, then release it to a large audience. Problem with the large corporates is that - of course - they've got prove that their app software works correctly with the new OS - and where it doesn't rollout a new (compatible) version BEFORE they start allowing the new system images.

Heck, got a message on my corporate internal VPN (don't ask!) software that "as a user of this software, please do not upgrade to Windows 8 at this time" with a link to a knowledgebase article about issues that the testers have found.

Personally, I'm more than happy with that approach. Especially as issues with some minor piece of code I had to use meant that I had to go XP->7, missing out Vista. Which, given the feedback I got from colleagues who DID do the "upgrade", was a blessing.
    Last edited by peterb; 12-12-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: * characters

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Same deal as the Windows XP->7 migration, they "beta" it first to a limited group, then release it to a large audience. Problem with the large corporates is that - of course - they've got prove that their app software works correctly with the new OS - and where it doesn't rollout a new (compatible) version BEFORE they start allowing the new system images.
    That sounds pretty standard, good approach especially if you can get some of the calmer and more cooperative users to beta test, really helps with smoothing the image to load to deployment servers.

Just out of interest what VPN software is it that's not compatible?

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    That sounds pretty standard, good approach especially if you can get some of the calmer and more cooperative users to beta test, really helps with smoothing the image to load to deployment servers.

Just out of interest what VPN software is it that's not compatible?
    It's a secured-connection app that seems to have been written by Juniper Networks - so me describing it as "VPN" is perhaps incorrect, (apologies). Problems claimed (I read the message more closely this morning) are not that it's incompatible per se, but that there's been "intermittent stability issues" on Windows 8 that means that corporate IT doesn't recommend it's use "at this time".

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Windows 7 ain't broken - does everything well....

Why upgrade to 8 is the simple question that Microsoft has no answer for.

Registered+
    Thanks

I'm unusually used to Windows 8 but not Windows 8.1!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information