Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Features - QOTW: Has Apple finally lost some of its sheen?

Thanks

Re: Features - QOTW: Has Apple finally lost some of its sheen?

I think they have lost their sheen, however there are millions of people around the world that love apple and I'm not sure why. I thought Steve Jobs was a good visionary but I'm afraid Apple will not have that same tenacity that Jobs' brought to the company when he was alive.

AlexKitch

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    As far as I can tell Apple are only good at regurgitating a single idea over and over again. New iPhone is just another iPhone, just like their Mac Books, Macs, iPads etc... the first of anything they do is where the wow factor comes in and the next iteration is usually where it goes out. And now that there's no Steve Jobs, I think there is no one at the company that can bring in the next big wow device. IMHO.
    But, realistically, what's the alternative? I hear a lot of people with your exact viewpoint and it seems like you expect Apple to reinvent the wheel every time they release a new product. Re-write iOS from the ground upwards? Trash the hardware design and start a fresh?

It's unrealistic and pointless. Yes, each iPhone is more or less the same, but that's just iterative product design. It's sensible, in my opinion.

Thanks

Realistically, Apple never had any sheen since they always overpriced their products. However, I think Apple is due some respect in the way they have helped shake up the MP3 player, tablets, and smartphone markets.

In the last few years, Apple is fast becoming an irrelevant player as companies like Samsung and Google have stepped on the innovation mantle.

Steve Jobs was always a driver for Apple over the years. What is becoming clear, their engineers, their marketing guru, their designer guru, their accountant cannot replicate Steve Jobs's drive. In fact, the battle to save the company starts now.

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill RipJaws 2133MHZ
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Didn't have any of the "wow" factor for me in the first place.

They are simply overpriced, lower spec products which look pretty and are well built; with a modified Unix based OS on top.

Similarly, like those rubbish spec "gaming" systems that seem to only have 4GB RAM and a HD 5450, yet charge a whack for it because they have the label "Super duper gamer, beat your friends" applied to it.

If they priced their products more reasonably then heck they aren't too bad. But for me, it is like this; "Own an apple product? Show the world you can splash your cash". Just like that guy who drives down with their sports car.

A label at the end of the time for me. Just like sportswear and "fashion" as some have pointed out.

.... Ugh.
    "If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" ||| "I'm not interrupting you, I'm putting our conversation in full-duplex mode" ||| "The problem with UDP joke: I don't get half of them"
    "I’d tell you the one about the CIDR block, but you’re too classy" ||| "There’s no place like 127.0.0.1" ||| "I made an NTP joke once. The timing was perfect."
    "In high society, TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake."

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Quote Originally Posted by AlexKitch View Post
    It's unrealistic and pointless. Yes, each iPhone is more or less the same, but that's just iterative product design. It's sensible, in my opinion.
    That is 100% correct, my expectations are unrealistic and I agree with you wholeheartedly.

But looking at that in more detail, I think my expectations have become so unrealistic as a result of the hype engine that keeps telling me that the next iProduct is the next best thing since someone took a loaf of bread and introduced it to a machine that could cut it into pieces and wrap it in plastic. I can't think of any other product that gets that level of hype, I certainly haven't heard of people camping overnight to order a brand new Nokia or HTC.

The end result came after I got my first iPhone I was really excited, I had the same level of excitement for my next iPhone and by the time the iPhone 4 launched I just found myself feeling quite deflated and disappointed as a result even though it was a much better phone than the iPhone 3G was, both visually and technically it just simply didn't live up to the hype and since then I have never been able to come close to the level of enthusiasm for any Apple device.

Thanks
    • jjgreenwood's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus p6 Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel 930 i7 4.0GHZ
      • Memory:
      • corsair ddr3 1600 6gb
      • Storage:
      • 80gb ssd 1tb samsung f3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • gtx480 sli
      • PSU:
      • corsair 1000w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone ft01s-w
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Alienware Aw2310
      • Internet:
      • BT broadband

Judging by the number of new iPhone I've seen at work they have lost none of their sheen as far as the phone is concerned. Having played around with it, it still manages to feel like the best conceived product for the average Joe. It's a shame the windows phone ecosystem isn't better because that would tempt me away from android.

Apple seem to have the premium laptop market pretty sewn up and the premium tablet market, although Microsoft is challenging them somewhat for the latter. Ultimately if a general consumer wants a premium device then apple has the answer. I can't see that changing in the near future.

Thanks

Oh, Apple lost its sheen a LONG time ago. People just don't know it and follow what everyone else is getting.
    Androids are far more superior and have been for a while; walking through the Samsung section at Best Buy makes Apple look like a joke.

Thanks

Oops. A bit disappointed with Apple with all the mishaps. What's happening?

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by jjgreenwood View Post
    Apple seem to have the premium laptop market pretty sewn up and the premium tablet market, although Microsoft is challenging them somewhat for the latter. Ultimately if a general consumer wants a premium device then apple has the answer. I can't see that changing in the near future.
    Definitely don't agree with this statement. There's certainly a segment in the laptop market that still goes by the "anything other than macbook is second best", however there's definitely other players in the "premium" market that would be considered by any fair minded buyer - HP Elitebooks, Leonovo's X1 Carbon model, and so on.

Likewise the "premium" tablet space. There's a raft of darn good 8" tablets to go up against the iPad Mini, and similarly the "big" iPad no longer has things it's own way either - various models from Asus, Samsung and Sony all being technical as accomplished, yet in most cases cheaper. And don't forget the Microsoft-based tablets too - they're getting better by leaps and bounds. However, like the laptop, I think there's still one or two markets where unfortunately an iPad is "it" - music creation being the one uppermost on my mind. That particular example is rankling me, because various guitar mags and learning tools are iPad only, which means that if I want to access them then I've got to get an iPad (and no, I'm definitely not paying Apple's crazy pricing - I'm looking at the second hand market).

And when you say "premium" I'm assuming you mean top of the market, not just carrying a hefty price tag.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

AlexKitch

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    That is 100% correct, my expectations are unrealistic and I agree with you wholeheartedly.

But looking at that in more detail, I think my expectations have become so unrealistic as a result of the hype engine that keeps telling me that the next iProduct is the next best thing since someone took a loaf of bread and introduced it to a machine that could cut it into pieces and wrap it in plastic. I can't think of any other product that gets that level of hype, I certainly haven't heard of people camping overnight to order a brand new Nokia or HTC.

The end result came after I got my first iPhone I was really excited, I had the same level of excitement for my next iPhone and by the time the iPhone 4 launched I just found myself feeling quite deflated and disappointed as a result even though it was a much better phone than the iPhone 3G was, both visually and technically it just simply didn't live up to the hype and since then I have never been able to come close to the level of enthusiasm for any Apple device.
    I understand what you mean. It feels good coming back to an iPhone after 2 years on Android, but I think this is because it's just good to have a break and try new things. Variety and competition are what keep things interesting, but it's a shame that extreme fanboys (on both sides) insist on slinging mud at each other and over-hyping their own gadgets.

Thanks

From the iPod/iPhone/Steve Jobs Mk2 era regarding desirable products I'd say Apple's lost their sheen. They are no longer as desirable as they used to be but appear popular as ever (if that makes sense)!

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by AlexKitch View Post
    I understand what you mean. It feels good coming back to an iPhone after 2 years on Android, but I think this is because it's just good to have a break and try new things. Variety and competition are what keep things interesting, but it's a shame that extreme fanboys (on both sides) insist on slinging mud at each other and over-hyping their own gadgets.
    The funny thing is I don't see people over-hyping Android or WMP. People just state that they do everything the Apple does at a lower price tag.....and you can tell that the extreme fanboys are ONLY apple. As others have said, when are there queues for the new HTC, Samsung, Nokia etc? There aren't any. Only Apple owners feel the need to queue for 2 weeks to be first in line (and most of the time for a phone they don't even know the tech-specs for, hell a guy at work bought a 6 Plus without even realising what SIZE it was!)

But then it shouldn't be news, we know people are highly susceptible to peer-pressure, advertising and hype.....all things Apple do well. Personally though, when I buy tech I want to buy from a company that does tech well
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Facts are sacred
    Thanks
    • RobbieRoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro Ultimate
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 128GB Samsung Evo pro SSD, 1 x 500GB Hitatchi HDD, 2 x 2Tb WD Green in Raid 1 Config.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Home made wooden desk
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 TP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • BT

I think the 'sheen' has started to rub thin because competition is constantly growing and the choice of available marketing strategies (generically: leader, challenger, follower and nicher) leaves less and less room for Apple to do its stuff.

In the recent past (Jobs and post Jobs) it has successfully applied a 'leader' strategy in terms of pinnacle form and function to the point of being monopolistic due to market dominance in certain sectors.

However, they don't have a monopoly on design or technical efficacy and competitors (playing 'challengers') are very hot on their heels. The hiccups with design (screen weakness, bending I6s, apparent iCloud insecurities alongside iTunes commercial treatment of artists and unilateral uploading of the new U2 album) add to the competitive pressures.

I think the saving grace for Apple is that it is very cash rich and so can use available resources to maximum effect. That needs leadership and top class design, though. The real question is whether Apple still has those two things and can remain a 'leader' or whether it will end up being a 'nicher'.

14. Received thanks from:

crossy (29-09-2014)

Thanks

I think both apple and other manufacturers need to have something else come along soon to justify a new product. Something REALLY awesome, not a new power saving mode or 1 day more battery life, maybe a couple of weeks battery life from a micro fuel cell in the phone. Or something along those lines. Or maybe a projector on the phone so I can watch the movies I've recorded on a wall in France when I'm on holiday with friends.

Phones and tablets can do a whole lot these days however and Apple really did kick this market into touch. Yes, there were PDA's previously but were focused on one thing. A tablet is something focused to everyone, thanks to the world of the apps. They just need some new awesome features.

Bring me a phone that projects a hologram baby!

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband

Quote Originally Posted by MrComputerSaint View Post
    Bring me a phone that projects a hologram baby!
    Yep, I want a hologram baby that dances!
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Thanks
    • jjgreenwood's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus p6 Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel 930 i7 4.0GHZ
      • Memory:
      • corsair ddr3 1600 6gb
      • Storage:
      • 80gb ssd 1tb samsung f3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • gtx480 sli
      • PSU:
      • corsair 1000w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone ft01s-w
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Alienware Aw2310
      • Internet:
      • BT broadband

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Definitely don't agree with this statement. There's certainly a segment in the laptop market that still goes by the "anything other than macbook is second best", however there's definitely other players in the "premium" market that would be considered by any fair minded buyer - HP Elitebooks, Leonovo's X1 Carbon model, and so on.

Likewise the "premium" tablet space. There's a raft of darn good 8" tablets to go up against the iPad Mini, and similarly the "big" iPad no longer has things it's own way either - various models from Asus, Samsung and Sony all being technical as accomplished, yet in most cases cheaper. And don't forget the Microsoft-based tablets too - they're getting better by leaps and bounds. However, like the laptop, I think there's still one or two markets where unfortunately an iPad is "it" - music creation being the one uppermost on my mind. That particular example is rankling me, because various guitar mags and learning tools are iPad only, which means that if I want to access them then I've got to get an iPad (and no, I'm definitely not paying Apple's crazy pricing - I'm looking at the second hand market).

And when you say "premium" I'm assuming you mean top of the market, not just carrying a hefty price tag.
    A bit of both really. When I say general consumer I mean average joe with £500 burning a hole for a tablet or £1500 for a laptop. While most tech types would consider the models you mention I have noticed them disappear from the shelves of John Lewis and PC World in the last 18 months. A look at the John Lewis website says it all, last christmas when I was considering a laptop there were plenty of high spec premium ultrabooks on the website from most major brands and those were also on display in store. Now there are very few and instore the only premium machine is the apple product. DSG group has expanded its displays of Apple product and the windows lines are becoming ever smaller. I'm not saying the product doesn't exist, but it seems that the bucket shops only seem to sell Apple in that price range - presumably because thats what sells.

Again on the tablets, I agree with you - and specifically mentioned the Microsoft product. Indeed perhaps Apple is under more threat here - but still the Apple display is often as big itself as the entire display of all the other tablets in the shop. I don't know when the Apple thing will hit its height, but its difficult to argue that every other product can be regarded as anything other than niche compared to the amount of shop space dedicated to Apple's hardware. For a company selling very expensive hardware they seem to have captured the public's imagination. Thats the reason why I don't think the sheen has gone. Despite the fact that many other products are equally as good, as you rightly mention, Joe public still wants an Apple.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information