• Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Nvidia explains the GTX 970's memory 'problems'

Quote Originally Posted by MrRockliffe View Post
    Too far cat. That's close minded and stupid.

I am not am AMD fan, nor is Jim. We both own nvidia cards (heck, he even owns the 970). I am a fan of what ever company brings out the best card at the price point. I recommended a 650 Ti to a friend not so long ago, since in Spain a couple of years ago, NVIDIA cards were much easier to get hold of. Amazon ES didn't have many AMD cards, other than enthusiast stuff (7950, 7970 at the time). I ended up managing to buy a 7850 while in the UK, which was the best card at the time.

When the time came for me to upgrade, I looked around at reviews, and made the decision that the 760 was the best card for the money (during crypto currency mining, so AMD cards were very over priced) , plus I liked the features it offered. Not the mention the fact I was dual booting Mac, and NVIDIA work out of the box.

Now, with a 1440P monitor, I'm looking at upgrading again. I was going to go with a 970, but as erudito87 has found out (and reported the findings on teamspeak) it's really easy to go over the 3.5GB VRAM. Who in their right mind would buy this card for 1440p gaming (now that it's widely known issue) when games will take up more VRAM etc, unless you're not into latest games etc and don't mind turning down the settings, just because of a poor engineering decision made by NVIDIA. I hit the 2GB limit on my 760, and it does cause a little stutter every now and again, but not to the same extent the 970 reportedly does. Looking objectively, with 4K coming way down in price, the 970 does not seem as though it's a logical purchase for someone wanting a new graphics card for the next 2-3 years.

That's my thought process, yet it doesn't make me an AMD fan like you've stated I am. I am no fan of any company, because it's illogical. Who would support a company whom brings out products that simply don't compete with the competitor at the time of looking. It doesn't make sense to me, never had and never will. There are some companies I am not a fan of, ie I would prefer not to buy something from them (IE Sony), but now I'm looking for some earphones, and they appear to have the ones that offer the best sound for me personally, so it'd seem illogical to not buy a product from them, just because it's taken them 9 months to fix my phone. Heck, their audio/visual and mobile departments aren't even linked anyway (in terms of returns etc).

In case you don't get it yet CAT, I'll reiterate my statement.

I am not, nor will I ever be, a fan of any company. I will buy from whomever offers the best performing product at the specific time of looking. If another company is due to release a new product to compete with the one I'm looking at, then I'll wait and see how it compares.

Now, I've seen you make some very valid arguments before, and most likely will again, but just because one person/ a few people have hit a nerve, it doesn't give you the right to throw accusations at people you know barely anything about. It's the sort of thing I'd expect people to do on the Linustechtips forums (it's a horrible forum, full of close minded 10 year olds that think their opinion is the right one).

Just my 2 cents.
    LOL,I was being sarcastic! It was more a sarcastic response to another poster(who owns a GTX970 BTW) saying that people highlighting the GTX970 issue were the following:

The AMD fanboy echo chamber is doing that, not its performance.
    You might realise I have a GTX660 myself too and that the people who found the problem are Nvidia users,not some AMD fan conspiracy to sully the name of Nvidia. My GTX660 cost me less than most HD7850 cards,and my GTX650TI Boost 2GB cost £30 less than the HD7850 cards at the time.

Its even more hilarious that there people are deflecting for Nvidia when my GTX660 has a hybrid memory controller which means the last 512MB of VRAM has only 64 bit memory access,yet the GTX970 seems to suffer worse when accessing this VRAM. Its a blasted cock-up on multiple levels from Nvidia,and if people defend it then more fool them. I expect it could be fixed(or the effect reduced) by improved drivers,but then if people do not push Nvidia then why should they care??

It reminds me of the iPhone owners who defended the iPhone 4 issues and agreed that "people were holding it wrong". However,it was pressure from more level minded people who made Apple admit it was a QC issue. It was still spec-wise and performance a decent enough phone.

Why the driver propanganda pisses me off so much is that I have had a GTX650TI Boost 2GB and HD7850 2GB for personal testing too,and I they apparently were both much of a sameness,and both the people who now own them,playing a whole load of popular AMD and Nvidia sponsered titles fine. Add that to the other people I know(plenty of computing people and geeks),we are yet to see all this magical superiority of one brand over the other under Windows(Linux might be another case though).

Heck,switch the brands over,I would be hard pressed to know which is which.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 08-02-2015 at 11:56 AM.

2. Received thanks from:

MrRockliffe (08-02-2015)

Thanks
    • MrRockliffe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z270i Strix
      • CPU:
      • i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 500GB 850 Evo, 500GB 860 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming
      • PSU:
      • 550W Supernova G2
      • Case:
      • NZXT H200
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Hyperoptic 150Mb

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    LOL,I was being sarcastic! It was more a sarcastic response to another poster(who owns a GTX970 BTW) saying that people highlighting the GTX970 issue were the following:

You might realise I have a GTX660 myself too and that the people who found the problem are Nvidia users,not some AMD fan conspiracy to sully the name of Nvidia. My GTX660 cost me less than most HD7850 cards,and my GTX650TI Boost 2GB cost £30 less than the HD7850 cards at the time.

Its even more hilarious that there people are deflecting for Nvidia when my GTX660 has a hybrid memory controller which means the last 512MB of VRAM has only 64 bit memory access,yet the GTX970 seems to suffer worse when accessing this VRAM. Its a blasted cock-up on multiple levels from Nvidia,and if people defend it then more fool them. I expect it could be fixed(or the effect reduced) by improved drivers,but then if people do not push Nvidia then why should they care??

It reminds me of the iPhone owners who defended the iPhone 4 issues and agreed that "people were holding it wrong". However,it was pressure from more level minded people who made Apple admit it was a QC issue. It was still spec-wise and performance a decent enough phone.

Why the driver propanganda pisses me off so much is that I have had a GTX650TI Boost 2GB and HD7850 2GB for personal testing too,and I they apparently were both much of a sameness,and both the people who now own them,playing a whole load of popular AMD and Nvidia sponsered titles fine. Add that to the other people I know(plenty of computing people and geeks),we are yet to see all this magical superiority of one brand over the other under Windows(Linux might be another case though).

Heck,switch the brands over,I would be hard pressed to know which is which.
    Ah okay, due to being a little hungover when I woke up I probably had a bit of humour failure!
    XBOX Live - Sheep Sardine | Origin - MrRockliffe | Steam - MrRockliffe |

Add me

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by MrRockliffe View Post
    Ah okay, due to being a little hungover when I woke up I probably had a bit of humour failure!
    No problems - I do have that on and off too!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Given the chance of you buying an nVidia card was 0 even before this story came out, that's hardly a change of opinion
    I'm pro AMD because of what they are doing with Mantle and FreeSync. I absolutely believe AMD are pushing the PC in the right direction and that made my mind up when considering my last up grade. But, I go with the fastest card I can afford every time I upgrade.

But you are right, I will not buy an Nvidia card anytime soon unless it comes with a Mantle driver and support FreeSync, but I will remember what Nvidia have done with the GTX970, and that will have an effect on making my decision if everything was even.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

Thread Information