Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: QOTW: Is PC gaming really superior to console?

Thanks

Re: QOTW: Is PC gaming really superior to console?

Which one makes everything? Is it possible consoles and games exist without computer? The question was answered.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    Gaming pc = circa £800
    basing that on 24 inch monitor, i5, 8Gb or 16Gb RAM, good mobo and £250 graphics card. Nothing top of the line but altogether good value.

Console = circa £300 or less
    Initial outlay, thats a big difference
    Add in the cost of a 'gaming' flatscreen TV - Something like 42" 1080p TV at £500, maybe?
    You could argue that people already have TVs... But I don't have one myself and most of the consoleers I know and (don't) love went out and bought new tellies for their new PS4/XB1.

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    So what if people don't build your own PCs,or don't want a desktop??
    Used to be that's what you *had* to do if you wanted to play games, and/or along with getting proper geeky and learning "computer stuff"...

I think that's what the whole Master Race is about - You have to learn and earn to get the fancy toys!!

Registered+
    Thanks

What is important to you? For me PC is superior... but has gotten a lot worse.

I like being able to play a game now, and then return to it years later and play it at insane resolutions and max detail. I like having access to more games than were released for all consoles from all generations combined. Not to mention that so many console games can be played on PC. e.g. I played Final Fantasy XII on my PC at full-HD resolution several years ago. Lastly is reliability - a well built PC should last decades. I also absolutely cherish the fact that if something breaks on my computer, I can fix it cheaply. Here's an example: What happens when your laser dies on your PS2? You can either buy a new PS2, or buy a replacement laser. If you can find a replacement laser, you need to make sure it's compatible with that specific revision of your console. You also may need to calibrate it. And with a PC? Oh, that's simple, just replace it with any one of a billion optical drives at next to no cost. Although, I've never had an optical drive die on me yet.

What about controllers? Aside from mouse, keyboard, joysticks, wheels, yolks, etc., my PC currently has connectivity for the following gamepads: SNES, N64, GameCube, Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS1, and PS2. Don't remember if I have any others, but... you can use most console controllers with the PC.

When I said that PC has gotten a lot worse, I'm talking chiefly about DRM, but also about multiplayer, and fundamental changes to the OS (Windows, in particular, since gaming has largely been absent on other OSes). I refuse to buy any game that requires online validation. If I buy a game, I expect to be able to pop it in and still play 5, 10, 20, or more years from now. I don't want to deal with a server being down so I can't play it... that's just thievery. Related to that is the lack of LAN play for multiplayer in current games. Lastly, since Windows Vista, Microsoft has (necessarily) broken the compatibility that used to be their hallmark. What this means is that you can no longer play the vast majority of the PC's gaming library with your newest PC.

Obviously there are a lot of quirks. For those who aren't willing, or don't know how to deal with them, consoles are probably superior. For me, the gaming possibilities on PC are endless.

Crafty Miner
    Thanks
    • Jaffo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H81M-Plus
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790S
      • Memory:
      • Crucial 16GB DDR3-1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Crucial MX500 SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1660 Super AMP
      • PSU:
      • 500W EVGA 80 PLUS White
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Versa H25
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG M2262DP TV
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Both have their pros and cons but I think PC gaming edges it and it can be phenomenal value for money if you aren't bothered about being on the cutting edge.

Thanks

I'm a mobile gamer these games, but yes, I'd say that PC is better than console thanks to variety. A lot of genres just don't get much console representation. So sure if action is your thing, consoles are great, but someone who likes point and click adventures or strategy games won't find much to play on console.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Add in the cost of a 'gaming' flatscreen TV - Something like 42" 1080p TV at £500, maybe?
    You could argue that people already have TVs... But I don't have one myself and most of the consoleers I know and (don't) love went out and bought new tellies for their new PS4/XB1.
    Most people and households already have TVs....for watching TV and films. Every person I know who has a console already had a TV and since they have crashed in price the £500 argument is all moot anyway. Even my parents had a flatscreen LCD TV nearly a decade ago and are not gamers.

I just think a lot of PC enthusiasts "need" to add the cost of the TV to make consoles seem more expensive,and almost every PC gamer I know has a TV already. It comes with renting or owning your own flat or house.

More and more people are into home cinema instead of going to actual cinermas,etc.

Even things like Apple TVs and Chromecasts have made streaming to TVs really easy and dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Used to be that's what you *had* to do if you wanted to play games, and/or along with getting proper geeky and learning "computer stuff"...

I think that's what the whole Master Race is about - You have to learn and earn to get the fancy toys!!
    Seriously,mate consoles have existed almost as long as the home PC. Nintendo NES and the like. I mean arcade systems existed before the PC.

In fact until the mid to late 90s,consoles tended to have better graphics than the PC - it was only the rise of 3D accelerators which started to give the PC technical superiority in graphics.

The whole PC master race thing is nothing but my platform is better than yours E-PEEN top trump card rubbish.

I know plenty of console owners who are doing decent jobs who can afford to even spend £5k on a PC,and probably if they could be bothered spec and build their own PCs.

Sometimes upfront costs can be a reason people go for consoles,simplicity or the fact just like people prefer PCs,others have always preferred consoles.

But the thing is a lot of people don't want to know about computer hardware or even care - its a means to an end for plenty of people. Its not an indication of any lack of technical ability. Its about caring.

How many PC gamers even know about the tech bits they need - or just go to a retailer and buy a prebuilt PC?? Its no different from them going to Argos to buy a console.

The PC enthusiast crowd repeatedly don't get it.

The fact that people post on tech forums about hardware makes them interested in it - its their hobby and their passion.

So ultimately,of course we are biased and prefer the PC.

Its like going on a Playstation site and asking whether the PS4 is better than the XBox One!
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 03-05-2015 at 10:07 AM.

7. Received thanks from:

outwar6010 (03-05-2015)

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Seriously,mate consoles have existed almost as long as the home PC.

The whole PC master race thing is nothing but E-PEEN. My platform is better than yours top trumps rubbish.
    That's explicitly called out as not being the point of PCMR, assuming we're talking about the subreddit - rather they're focused on PC > console.

It's a whole different conversation about whether it's a positive force etc, but I think you're misrepresenting it with that statement.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    That's explicitly called out as not being the point of PCMR, assuming we're talking about the subreddit - rather they're focused on PC > console.

It's a whole different conversation about whether it's a positive force etc, but I think you're misrepresenting it with that statement.
    Sorry,but it is. Just because a politician says they don't means something does not mean they are talking the truth.

You need to go on more tech forums,where console gamers are called the "peasant" race and so,and that meme is repeatedly used in a derogatory way.

Nothing but top trumps E-PEEN.

Like the following pic and its derivatives:

http://mygaming.co.za/news/wp-conten...aster-Race.jpg

Its a meme which came out of the whole PCMR crap.

The fact its called "PCMR" is a way of putting down people using other means to games,since if you are not the "Master Race",you must be some "Inferior Race",right??

You can't have two "Master Races",right??

So that excludes:
    Console gamers
    Tablet gamers
    Phone gamers
    Board gamers
    Tabletop gamers
    Book gamers
    Sports people
    Pen and Paper gamers
    Probably people who can't affor Uber gaming rigs too

If it were not,then PC gamers would not care which platform people game on.

They would be happy with what they are gaming on instead of saying mine is bigger than yours.

No,lets make use feel better about our platform by putting down some other gamers.

Then,it gets worse when PC gamers start putting down other PC gamers who can't afford good enough hardware and so on.

People who don't run at 4K and ultra uber settings.

People who play Indie games and not the latest BF20 or Witcher 5000 at 10K res in 3D VR.

Hexus,might be not too bad in that regard,but too many of the tech forums are full of E-PEEN,especially US ones.

There is way too much E-PEEN in the PC enthusiast sphere,and year by year,its getting worse and worse. Its no wonder when companies actively target E-PEENers as cash cows.

Its so childish and smacks of purchase justification and validation of platform choice.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 03-05-2015 at 10:22 AM.

10. Received thanks from:

outwar6010 (03-05-2015)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

If it were not,then PC gamers would not care which platform people game on.

They would be happy with what they are gaming on instead of asking mine is bigger than yours.
    We don't, and we are

The ONLY disappointment I feel is when there is any element of propitiatory/exclusives for no technical reason. That applies to nVidia as much as it does MS and Sony.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    We don't, and we are

The ONLY disappointment I feel is when there is any element of propitiatory/exclusives for no technical reason. That applies to nVidia as much as it does MS and Sony.
    Sadly,Kalniel you are a minority on tech forums- the amount of drivel which is said about console gamers is pathetic. I was on OcUK the other day and it one thread they were just ripping into console gamers calling them "peasant" gamers(its not the first time either). I have seen it on plenty of other more PC orientated forums.

The whole PCMR has just the effect of stoking more stupid E-PEEN.

Drum & Bass Till I Die deejayburnout's Avatar
    Thanks
    • deejayburnout's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 2600 at stock speeds ( for now)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x Corsair 8GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 128GB M.2 PCIe x2 NVMe SSD, 120GB Kingston SV200, 2 x 1TB WD Drive, 2 x 2TB WD Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix RX 580 8G Gaming OC Edition
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 750 Watt
      • Case:
      • NZXT Noctis 450
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM65-P Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 72mb Down 19mb up - Vodafone

I would say yes but a few things need to be considered.

Consoles are as simple as insert disk and play. Nice and simple. However you might be locked to 30fps and some textures might be reduced to balance GPU load and stability.

PC games can be a pain sometimes with crashing and may need GPU driver updates and general setting up. Also depend on your hardware setup. Some games also play better on team red or team green.
    Better to Burn out than Fade Away
    Check out my Youtube channel - Crispy Crisperson

Thanks

Yes. Next question please.

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Quote Originally Posted by hesham1516 View Post
    I love how people magically forget about the cost of their home pc/laptop when talking about how cheap consoles are... Unless you need bleeding edge graphics and a surround gaming setup, the initial cost is not very different.

Consoles will be cheaper overall once they drop in price, but with console graphics already being far behind, they wouldn't even be comparable at that point.

We do not need dirty console peasants infecting our ranks though so let them think what they want.
    GLORY TO THE PC GAMING MASTER RACE!!
    Consoles are far behind? Sounds like someone whos never played on ps4 etc. The res is 1080p which is what most pc gamers are at now.....

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

I think PC gaming is superior in every way except when console gaming is better and then it's not.

Some of the most hardcore gamers I know only play on console, a few have all of the consoles and some even buy the same game for each, as far as they're concerned they have the best mix. It's possible to buy an XBone, PS4 and Wii U for less than the price paid for all of my PC's components at the time I got them. I game on a PC, I prefer it, but get frustrated when things aren't working as they should do, it's not really a console issue, I think consoles offer a true plug and play gaming experience but I still prefer PC, I think PCs offer a much broader range of activities than a console can cope with, I'd hate to be typing this response using a game controller.
    Last edited by KeyboardDemon; 04-05-2015 at 10:56 AM.

17. Received thanks from:

outwar6010 (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

On my ps3 i remember being able to hook up usb keyboards etc for internet browsing. On the ps4 you can get bluetooth keyboards but I don't bother as the predictive texting is very good.

Banned
    Thanks

Surely, every advantage people have mentioned above is actually a disadvantage to gaming.

A level playing field allows you to compare, anything else means you cannot.

All PCs are different so the playing field is always different.

20. Received thanks from:

KeyboardDemon (04-05-2015)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information