Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: QOTW: What are your first impressions of Windows 10?

Drum & Bass Till I Die deejayburnout's Avatar
    Thanks
    • deejayburnout's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 2600 at stock speeds ( for now)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x Corsair 8GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 128GB M.2 PCIe x2 NVMe SSD, 120GB Kingston SV200, 2 x 1TB WD Drive, 2 x 2TB WD Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix RX 580 8G Gaming OC Edition
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 750 Watt
      • Case:
      • NZXT Noctis 450
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM65-P Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 72mb Down 19mb up - Vodafone

Re: QOTW: What are your first impressions of Windows 10?

Not tried it and will not for at least 6 months until all the bugs are fixed. And anyways, if 8.1 ain't broke (for me anyways) why change.
    Better to Burn out than Fade Away
    Check out my Youtube channel - Crispy Crisperson

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Don't get me wrong: I've gone through the policy pretty in depth myself. The company I work for are primarily active in the information security sector, so it's important that I understand the implications of these kind of changes.

And I have no issue with people not wanting to upgrade to Windows 10, for any reason. What I *do* take issue with (and this is not focussed at anyone in particular, but it's all over the place) is people blindly making claims about the privacy policy of Windows, and then stating that they plan to move to Ubuntu (which is even worse, in my eyes). Sure: you can heavily customise your Ubuntu install, and disable the bits that you don't want, but you can do the same with Windows.

I have a Microsoft account for work purposes, but I'm certainly not going to be signing into any personal machines with it. Local accounts all around (one of the major concerns for a number of people in pre-release being that this wouldn't be possible). That said: I have a Google account, which is used for Apps for Domains and I have no issue with the use of this. I've read the Google privacy policy and *for me* it's an acceptable tradeoff for the functionality I get for my personal email, calendaring, search and the like. Your mileage may vary (again, not directed at anyone in particular)

For the record: I've not upgraded as yet, but this is largely due to a lack of disk space on my boot drive (I should really do a clean install, but I don't really have the time to get everything setup again afterwards at this point).

But back to my point: the privacy policy applies to a whole host of services, and if you're using Windows already then it still applies. Just not upgrading to Win10 doesn't get you out of being bound by it.
    Largely agree, but I'll focus on the last para which, as I'm sure you're aware, isn't quite right.

The current (new) privacy policy splits down into two main categories, the generic bit, and the services bit. Those provisions on services bits, such as Cortana, apply only to Cortana so, at least for now, are relevant to Windows 10, but not earlier.

And a fair bit of the rights previously claimed for services only apply IF you use those services, such as OneDrive, which (I'm assured) you had to explicitly sign up for. Now, as I understand it, signing into your MS account automatically ensures all sorts of data is uploaded immediately to MS servers, not least, contacts bookmarks, calendar events, favourites, etc, all of which is necessary if the user wants instant access to those items across multiple devices.

Other data is only grabbed if you use Win10 features, like Cortana.

As for switching to Ubuntu, it's about more than just privacy. It's also about choices in usability, like which UI you want, and being able to change. It's about picking a distro, and not just Ubuntu, to suit your preferences, be it bare-bones or fully loaded. And it's about a decision not just about Windows but applications too, like avoiding Office.

There's no utopian privacy-preserving option, but in my opinion, Ubuntu is much less invasive that Win10, at least, for now.

Or rather, there is one utopian option. Don't put online, or do online, ANYTHING you don't want data vampires like MS or Google coming after. Which is why I don't bank online, very rarely use online shopping, stopped using Amazon years ago, and so on. And any really personal data of mine is on systems that are air-gapped, and physically don't have any way to access, or be accessed from, the internet.

Thanks

Local accounts all around
    Is there any indication that using a local account means that the privacy policy doesn't apply? By that I mean do they specifically state what parts do not apply.
    From what I've read local account or not they could still legally apply, if for instance Microsoft isn't as successful in preventing any future secret requests from a government agency.

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Largely agree, but I'll focus on the last para which, as I'm sure you're aware, isn't quite right.
    Not sure I agree with you on this - my interpretation (and that's all it is) is that you can use Win10 without signing into a Microsoft account, and you can disable Cortana. This would disable the methods of Microsoft obtaining data about you, and as such may go some way toward allaying your concerns.

The current (new) privacy policy splits down into two main categories, the generic bit, and the services bit. Those provisions on services bits, such as Cortana, apply only to Cortana so, at least for now, are relevant to Windows 10, but not earlier.

And a fair bit of the rights previously claimed for services only apply IF you use those services, such as OneDrive, which (I'm assured) you had to explicitly sign up for. Now, as I understand it, signing into your MS account automatically ensures all sorts of data is uploaded immediately to MS servers, not least, contacts bookmarks, calendar events, favourites, etc, all of which is necessary if the user wants instant access to those items across multiple devices.
    All of which applies if you're signing into an earlier version of Windows with a Microsoft account.

Other data is only grabbed if you use Win10 features, like Cortana.
    Agreed, but then you could just disable Cortana

As for switching to Ubuntu, it's about more than just privacy. It's also about choices in usability, like which UI you want, and being able to change. It's about picking a distro, and not just Ubuntu, to suit your preferences, be it bare-bones or fully loaded. And it's about a decision not just about Windows but applications too, like avoiding Office.
    Understood, but then as I said I wasn't targeting that comment at yourself but rather at the wider internet of people who seem to think that Linux (and in particular Ubuntu) is the bastion of privacy. Don't get me wrong: I use Linux on a more or less daily basis both at home and work. It's a great tool for a job, but I lost a lot of faith in Canonical over the Unity debacle.

There's no utopian privacy-preserving option, but in my opinion, Ubuntu is much less invasive that Win10, at least, for now.
    As above: I disagree with you on the latter point.

Or rather, there is one utopian option. Don't put online, or do online, ANYTHING you don't want data vampires like MS or Google coming after. Which is why I don't bank online, very rarely use online shopping, stopped using Amazon years ago, and so on. And any really personal data of mine is on systems that are air-gapped, and physically don't have any way to access, or be accessed from, the internet.
    Yep, that's an option. I weigh up the pros and cons and come to a different conclusion, but so long as people are doing this (and not blindly repeating rumours that they read from unqualified sources on random internet forums) then everyone's a winner. Nobody is forcing anybody to upgrade to Windows 10, or do anything else without their agreement.

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Is there any indication that using a local account means that the privacy policy doesn't apply? By that I mean do they specifically state what parts do not apply.
    From what I've read local account or not they could still legally apply, if for instance Microsoft isn't as successful in preventing any future secret requests from a government agency.
    How would Microsoft tie any data that they might hold back to you?

As for government agency requests: I'd be more concerned about your ISP personally.

Registered+
    Thanks

Initially thought it was Ok, now it is beginning to irritate me. I have installed classic shell to get a better start menu as I found the long alphabetical scroll up an down a PITA and I had got rid of the useless "Apps". I am also falling out with the "new notifications" action centre bar. I takes me to things that should be in the Control Panel but does not so ends up as a bipolar control system. In fact that is still my feeling with windows 10, it still presents itself as as confused OS that tries to be an OS for all seasons but fails at being really good at any one.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Not sure I agree with you on this - my interpretation (and that's all it is) is that you can use Win10 without signing into a Microsoft account, and you can disable Cortana. This would disable the methods of Microsoft obtaining data about you, and as such may go some way toward allaying your concerns.

You can, I'm told, install and /or use W10 without signing in to an MS account. Guido tested it, and I've certainly no reason to think he's wrong. And yes, MS say that will "disable" Cortana. But, define "disable"? Does it mean no aspects of Cortana load, or it loads but doesn't log data, even locally, or it logs data but doesn't upload until/unless you sign in, or it logs, uploads but just doesn't personlise results?

There was the same questionmark over how MS implemented cameras and microphones in Kinect, if you remember? Affer an initial furore over 'always on" they announced you could "turn Kinect off", and it wasn't "listening" until you powered it up by saying "Kinect on" or somesuch. Which begs an obvious question ... if it's not "listening", AND processing audio data, how does it know you said "Kinect on"?

Now, maybe it was ONLY listening and processing for that phrase, or maybe it was listening and processing exactly as before, and only responding in a say the user could see to that phrase.

Hence my scepticism, or at least concern, over what does and does not get disabled, if you don't log into an MS account. And why we have to read privacy agreements very carefully, with a view to what MS can argue words and phrases mean, rather than the impression the reader may get, perhaps because they interpret it as they want it to mean.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lesoudeur View Post
    I am also falling out with the "new notifications" action centre bar.
    Head into settings and you can disable it entirely so it does not load

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

.... I weigh up the pros and cons and come to a different conclusion, but so long as people are doing this (and not blindly repeating rumours that they read from unqualified sources on random internet forums) then everyone's a winner. Nobody is forcing anybody to upgrade to Windows 10, or do anything else without their agreement.
    Agreed, and sure, nobody is forcing people to upgrade .... though I'd argue that the way MS used "updates" to install (without permission, by the way) their Win10 nag screen, comes pretty close, especially for the technically unwary, which hopefully isn't anyone on this forum.

For me, it's about genuinely informed consent, without which, it may not be force but it's deceit. Which would you be more annoyed about, being mugged and having £500 stolen, or being ID-thieved, and losing £500 to a con artist? There's no force in the latter, but personally, I'd be pretty peeved either way.

By putting nag screens up, MS are at a minimum applying psychological pressure, and hotly promoting inline "upgrades" MS are likely to get large numbers of people just clicking for their "free upgrade". If they made clear exactly what the trade was, which is VAST amounts of data about users, and almost every aspect of their lives, in exchange for 'personalised' help for Cortana, etc, then perhaps fair enough. But instead they're acting like the worst grade of used car salesmen, waxing lyrical about the car stereo without mentioning that the gearbox is about to fall out.

Remember how extra features in a Word install work (or used to, anyway). When you first tried to use them, you'd get a dialog offering to install, and requesting the CD. If MS offered "features" like Cortana on an opt-in basis for those that want them, and did it with openness about the privacy trade-off, I'd have no objection .... or rather, just one. That being that if you have data about me in your contacts (like, address, home and mobile numbers, etc) then when MS plunder .... sorry, "analyse your data to provide personalied services", they're acquiring data on ME without MY permission. There's certainly no consent, informed or otherwise, from me.

So I object on two grounds. First, MS are doing this on an opt-out basis rather than opt-in, and opting out involves quite a lot of work for anyone doing it, because you have to make settings changes all over the place and it's easy to miss some, especially for those that don't realise what MS are doing in the first place. I still haven't forgiven Scan for their arrogance in foisting a chargeable service, ScanSure, on customers and expecting us to opt out - an obnoxious practice subsequently made illegal. And MS are acting in the same arrogant manner, effectively co-opting private data without being direct and up-front about the 'price' paid in privacy for their 'free' upgrade.

Second, their strategy is underhand, and markedly lacking in informed consent. How would you react to a car lease offer that looked very good indeed, because the company buried the fact that there s a 75% residual on page 42 of a 45 page agreement? Or if you paid 25 years of mortgage payments only to find yourself indentured for another 25 years of slave labour?

That, at the core, is my gripe. An opt-out with semi-hidden costs that amounts to a con-job, and lack of genuine informed consent.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • mud_z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • NP550P5c-S05IN
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 3630QM
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB
      • Storage:
      • 120GB EVO SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GT 650M DDR3 (Garbage)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Internet:
      • 4mbps

"Frequency Out of range" :3

Thanks
    • pastymuncher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600K @ 5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Gskill Trident 3866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 970 Evo Polaris+960GB Corsair MP510
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3D GTX1070 iChill Air Boss X3
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 11 550w
      • Case:
      • Self built desk mod
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

I really don't like the sound of all this privacy stuff and think I will consider it before the "free" upgrade finishes next year. By then the os should have been torn apart and all the pro's and con's found out. Blackviper should have published his "tweak" guide by then as well.

Thanks

How would Microsoft tie any data that they might hold back to you?

As for government agency requests: I'd be more concerned about your ISP personally.
    It's not down to me or anyone else to prove how it could be tied back to specific people or locations, it's down to the person or company to prove that's not what their going to do.

The ISP comment is conflating the idea that an ISP could monitor your connection, your network traffic, with what's stored on you PC, what you say, type, or encrypt, there's a big difference between the two, it's like the difference between someone being able to watch who is coming and going from your house, and being able to walk into your house anytime they like without your knowledge and rifle though all your personal belongings.
    Last edited by Corky34; 01-08-2015 at 05:40 PM. Reason: bad spelling and stuff

Thanks
    • jnutt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32gig DDR 3600
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 1tb NVME M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2070Super
      • PSU:
      • Stock
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master
      • Operating System:
      • Windows10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 32" and 24"
      • Internet:
      • Cable 350mb

So far so good. Couple of Memory management errors but they will be fixed in due course.

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

I've yet to try it. Still using my Windows 7 laptop. I'm a bit concerned about the direction windows is going in. Hopefully Windows 10 won't become a subscription based service or monetize your private personal computer usage and data. If so I might go the Linux and Steam OS route.

Thanks

Been fine for me since i upgraded to 10. No issues so far!

Registered+
    Thanks

I was a beta tester also and it ran fine, BUT the update install was a disaster ( BSOD after BSOD) that eventually forced me to reformat my drive, install windows 8 from scratch, update that and then update to windows 10. A google search shows that i am not alone which makes me wonder what changed just before launch. I never had a problem with the beta versions.

Overall win 10 is nice and once i finish reconfiguring it - it will be fine.

My best sugguestion to others is wait awhile to update if you are inclined to do so.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information