Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: QOTW: How is Windows 10 working out for you?

Banned
    Thanks

Re: QOTW: How is Windows 10 working out for you?

Laptop lenovo x200s - works well apart from the usual start menu delay.
    Main desktop - total nightmare of nvidia drivers, random crashing and general win95-ness.

I'd give it 6-12 months, then we'll have a great OS.

Registered+
    Thanks

Still no W10 ugrade reached my PC "windows 10 upgrade reserved"

Thanks

STRANGELY faster than 8.1 in the pc am using. I like the new default start menu BUT you just cant simply "send to desktop" to show the app on desktop like windows xp. Task view is nice very nice. Cortana rocks I really dont care about privacy I leave that to a boot partition- linux mint. Windows rocks with gaming- linux & MAC see the dust. DX 12 all the way :0

Thanks

It's running quite well... no issue with legal only with cracked one...

Btw. thoose who claim they will go back to Linux they never go back to linux since its not worth really. What is better? Everything command based garbage... Run 1program you need to remember ever little commands... and not to mention CTRL+C/V etc. doesnt work.
    Last edited by peterb; 31-10-2015 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Implied language.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • maxp779's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 500GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD5850
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600w
      • Case:
      • Antec 902
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VX2260WM 22" 1080p
      • Internet:
      • 8MB

Tried it on my laptop for a while then installed debian jessie and never looked back. Main desktop is still 8.1 and likely has all the telemetry BS installed as well as I havent been paying attention to the updates. Ill move that to linux in due time.

For me windows peaked with windows 7, its been downhill ever since

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nandor90 View Post

Btw. thoose who claim they will go back to Linux they never go back to linux since its not worth really. What is better? Everything command based garbage... Run 1program you need to remember ever little commands... and not to mention CTRL+C/V etc. doesnt work.
    You obviously haven't used a modern Linux distribution with a fully featured GUI. Well, more than one, it's your choice. And if you are using an Android based device, that is Linux based, and Apple is BSD UNIX based.

If you think Linux or UNIX is Command line only, you are 15 years behind the times!

Wearing my moderators hat, can I direct you to this link regarding language

http://forums.hexus.net/faq.php?faq=...q_hex_swearing
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

My Samsung laptop is still on windows 7 and I don't feel the need to upgrade to 10 at all. Those reports of Windows 10 coming down with recommended updates next year are a bit of a concern, but I'll just disable automatic updates etc.

I think the only reason to update to Windows 10 for me, would be DX12 gaming but that would be pretty pointless paired with my 2011 laptop specs.

Thanks

Been using Win 10 since July and all seems ok. No issues to talk of. I quite like it.

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband

I doubt I'll ever install it so can't comment.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nandor90 View Post

My issues with Win10 are nothing whatever to do with cracked versions, though I might be marginally more inclined towards a cracked version IF it removed the more obnoxious aspects of Win10. That strikes me as more attractive even than 'free' legit versions. Trouble is, you can never be sure if a cracked version is trustworthy, so I wouldn't actually risk it. But the issues I have with Win10 are when it is working exactly as intended by MS.

And yes, I have shifted my primary machines to Linux. I've not needed a command line instruction for anything I do in, oh, several years, though you might for some things, and can do others that way. Other machines are still running Win7 and they will stay that way. Come a point it's unsupported, I'll take them offline and put them on an airgapped network but they are not, now or ever, getting Win10 .... unless MS reverse several major strategic decisions, the chances of which are somewhere between absolutely miniscule, and zero.

You seem to think Linux isn't a viable alternative. Depending on what a machine is used for, in most cases it absolutely is. Gaming is an issue but I don't use most of my machines for that. My only limitation, the ONLY thing stopping me dumping Windows altogether, is I require Windows for driver support for some fairly old hardware, and for a couple of very old Windows database applications. But in that latter case, they won't run on Win 7, never mind 10, hence an old XP system (behind the airgap).

Everything else, which those databases aside, which is my normal, day-to-day business and personal usage, can be managed just fine, and with minimal acclimatisation, on Linux.

I was surprised at how easy the transition was, too, but MS annoyed me sufficiently with Win8, and with their apparent (and confirmed by W10) strategic direction, that I decided to run my own little pilot and feasibility study - what would it be like, with my real-world actual needs, to switch? Was it viable? Yeah. What learning curve would there be? Not much, actually. Would it be time and cost effective? Oh, hell, yes.

Still, I waited. Then Win10 came along and the inferences of it were worse than I thought, and FAR worse than Win8.

Here's one reason, and though it's far from my only objection it's enough for me to switch in it's own right - the combination of MANDATORY automatic updates, together with a licence that effectively means users have authorised MS to make any changes to the way the OS on a user's PC works whether users like it or not, and even if you expressly don't like it.

So, they can change your system at will, and you have no say over it. Unlike previous changes that won't support that old hardware, or the databases I mentioned, MS can and will upgrade your PC whenever and however they feel like it, and if it stops something like those databases working .... tough. They do it anyway.

Those databases are central to my business. The time and cost of developing new software, and porting data, would be huge. So I simply didn't upgrade those machines. If anything like that happens under Win10, that is no longer an option.

Putting that degree of control over MY compting infrastructure in THEIR hands, with no say it, not even a veto, is simply utterly unacceptable to me. It ain't happening, not now, not ever.

So it's not a "claim" that I'm not going back to Windows from Linux. It's a fact. MS have rendered Win10 unusable to me.

Unless they change that, and some other, decisions, the chances of me ever putting Win10 on my business machines is zero. Even if they now did reverse that, which they won't, I'm now set up, established, software chosen, installed and configured, procedures established, learning curve passed, and I'm comfy with Linux.

Now, MS would have to come up with something so attractive, so appealing, so seductive, to convince me it's worth going through that pilot and evaluation process all over again, which took about a year all-told, last time, to justify me even considering moving away from a solution (Linux) with which I am comfortable, stable, settled and very happy.

It's possible, long-term, Linux might do enough, as MS did, to drive me away, but I find it hard to imagine what MS could conceivably offer to tempt me to even think about going back at this point. And frankly, I'll probably be fully retired by then anyway, and the PCs in a skip.

I'm reluctant to say "never", but short of an absolute miracle, I can tell you, hand on heart and on my life, I am NOT going back to Win10, and certainly not on anything beyond a sandboxed test or gaming system.

I'm only a tiny little business user and MS clearly don't care, but they killed Windows for me, after some 30 years of using it. Any vestigal hint of long-term brand or product loyalty from me is utterly dead and buried. And technical issues aside, it'll take a lot for me to ever forgive that.

A lot of people may threaten "going to Linux" and not do it. But if they gave it a proper, serious try, most would get a shock about how viable, gaming aside (for now), it actually is.

If you think people like me are going back, or not serious about Linux as an alternative, well ....dream on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And frankly, I'll probably be fully retired by then anyway, and the PCs in a skip.
    Call yourself an enthusiast, i plan on being buried alongside my PC, we have a joint plot and everything.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Call yourself an enthusiast, i plan on being buried alongside my PC, we have a joint plot and everything.
    LOL.

Taking that as if it were serious, I'd say "used to be" an enthusiast. Now, by and large, a PC means about the same to me as a power drill to a DIY-er, a tool to do a job. And about as much use once I'm buried. Nah, nix that, I'd rather have the power drill in the coffin. At least if I'm buried alive, it might help me get out.

And as it happens, my wishes involve cremation and ashes scattered at sea, so I doubt either PC or drill will be much use.

On a less macabre note, come retirement, my need for a PC more or less evaporates, and I'd be VERY tempted to go entirely free from both all forms of computer device (except embedded systems, like a PVR) and an internet connection. And that includes no smartphone, or tablet. I'd miss HEXUS, but beggar-all else about today's online world.

Hence, the skip, about which I was at least semi-serious. And very tempted.

Thanks
    • jnutt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32gig DDR 3600
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 1tb NVME M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2070Super
      • PSU:
      • Stock
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master
      • Operating System:
      • Windows10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 32" and 24"
      • Internet:
      • Cable 350mb

Love it! Got it on my gaming Pc and my wifes surface Pro3. I also get the latest builds on my old e6400 Dell laptop. Only issue I ever had was the very first set of Nvidia drivers were poor. All ok now though!
    Last edited by peterb; 31-10-2015 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Word substitution

Registered+
    Thanks

running 3 pcs with Win 10 besides some minor bugs (which has been sorted) its pretty good so far. but there are still other minor bugs.

Installation on all three computers was rather smooth and easy.

still little concerned about the privacy thing even though i have turned off all i can.

Thanks

The start menu is still not better than the one from Windows 7 except for the right click options.
    Splitting up control panel and settings doesn't seem to, make much sense to me.
    Skype is constantly showing the program not responding message but doesn't drop the conversation, but I can't hang up after that anymore and the GUI becomes unresponsive.
    The task manager is much better than in Windows 7.
    If the computer is running for more than a few hours the performance tab in task manager shows memory usage from 6-12 GB RAM, but adding the uses from all the processes only accumulates to 3-4 GB at most, so I suspect a memory leak somewhere.

The theme and colors are slowly growing on me, at the beginning I liked the Windows 7 design much more.
    So far I had no compatibility problems.

To sum it up, for a free upgrade its worth it, but not paying 100-200 $ for it.

Thanks

Works ok but the win defender is a pain in the ass make it easier to uninstall the rubbish.
    Last edited by peterb; 31-10-2015 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Swear filter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information