Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: QOTW: How is Windows 10 working out for you?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: QOTW: How is Windows 10 working out for you?

It works really well because I did not installed it!

Tested in closed environment twice and there is no chance in hell I will get that Thing. I was working on Linux for few years some time back, returned to Windows just for the sake of less compatibility issues with programs I use at work (M$ monopoly). For now W7 is running just fine, but if MS persist/force/ with mandatory upgrade (disabled WU the day infamous - could be wrong with number - KB3056683 was launched) to BigBrother10 I cannot see myself using Windows much longer.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • ALIAKSANDR's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4
      • CPU:
      • AMD A10-5800K
      • Memory:
      • Silicon Power 8 GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • SAMSUNG HD321KJ 320gb+ Hitachi HDT722525DLA380 250GB :-((
      • PSU:
      • LEPA N600-SA 600W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z9 Plus Black
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 740N ((((
      • Internet:
      • 1 Mbit/sec :-((

Me and Windows7 arranges.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Upgraded:
    Laptop
    HTPC
    HTPC2
    Main gaming rig

I have one issue that has raised it's head a couple of times now (some files fail to copy from one location to another...gives a source read error, yet copying the file to a different location can be fine), which I think is Windows 10 issue......other than that, it's been a rock for me.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Cliffro's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68V
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3-1600
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 840 EVO | 1TB 850 EVO | 500GB 840 EVO | 500GB WD VelociRaptor| 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC ACX 2.0+
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova 850 G2
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo
      • Operating System:
      • 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC G2770PQU/AOC 2752VH
      • Internet:
      • 60 Dwn 6 Up

I picked up a refurbished laptop with Win 7 Pro, and decided to use it to check out Win10. On the laptop I like it, It has a fingerprint reader which works with Windows Hello(after finding drivers for it), using a PIN is also convenient. The only quirk so far is the Welcome screen, sometimes it seems unresponsive, other times 1 click goes to PIN screen.

I'm still hesitant to upgrade my desktop, with Nvidia's driver track record lately.

Registered+
    Thanks

I have removed Windows 10 and gone back to Windows 7, I have stopped windows from reminding me in any way about the Windows 10 Downgrade from Windows 7 and when support for Windows 7 stops then I shall upgrade to a Linux Distro, Windows 10 has been the biggest pile of rubbish I have ever seen from Microsoft and lets just look at Microsoft's record for the last 10 years 3 successive failed operating systems that just do not function or Microsoft would rather just forget they ever had anything to do with, A version of Office 365 that is just so buggy it keeps having to be re installed to get it to work correctly, in fact Microsoft have not produced anything over the last 10 years that leaves me with any confidance in this Cowboy Company any more, I am done with Microsoft and have not an ounce of faith left in them, I think they are done.

Thanks

I built a new Skylake tower and did a clean install of W10 without problems about a month ago. I tried using Cortana and voice recognition but found that they didn't feel particularly useful at this time(though I have a friend who is severely visually impaired who, in addition to a reading program, finds voice recognition very useful). Though I don't feel I have anything to hide I found the default settings quite over the top in terms of W10 monitoring my system and activity and sending information back to Microsoft so I manually changed many of the monitoring settings which essentially killed Cortana. Early on I had a few memory crashes which have gone away but I still have the occasional boot crash. I don't like the lack of theme settings with only 'light' and 'dark' available, a definite and unnecessary step backwards. Edge definitely is a work in progress with no ability to set the opening sereen size and no history available in the back arrow.

What W10 does bring to the table for me is DirectX12 which is a revolutionary advance. First, it allows the onboard graphics on the CPU and a discreet graphics card to share the workload. Early reports show this results in a 20% graphics performance boost. I've been moaning for years about how useless onboard graphics were for all of us with graphics cards and now we can use both. Considering that we all have CPUs with onboard graphics this equates to a free performance boost. Did someone say 'free'? Hell yeah! Second, though all of this will require game developers to write code to take advantage of these features, we will now be able to use different graphics cards, even different brands ie. Radeon and NVidia, at the same time so long as the graphics cards are DirectX12 compatible. The communication will be handled by the PCIe buss so no bridges will be needed. I will no longer have to figure out what to do with my old graphics card when I get the next generation card, I'll be able to use both at once! I remember my late brother built his Heathkit 8088 computer and immediately modified it to see how many floppy drives he could run on it. I imagine how many and what type of graphics cards we run will be limited only by the number of PCIe lanes we have.

In conclusion, W10=meh, DirectX12=Wow!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread Information