• Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: Gaming monitor market to get more competitive next year

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Hell, Nvidia could always have a change of heart and open the protocol details for G-Sync
    They could, but I can't see it being adopted by the DisplayPort standards committee when there is already an adopted standard for adaptive sync. A parallel method with no benefit would just muddy the purchasing decision.

And that might be why Nvidia would open the standard. Nvidia can work on Freesync support, and release a freesync compatible driver at the same time as opening "their standard". An abuse of the word "standard", but at that point they would have the only cards capable of both sync styles. If it requires a hardware change in the cards it would be at least a year for AMD to catch up to support Gsync giving Nvidia an on-paper (because who would buy G-sync when you can get the same monitor for £100 less) lead in the tick-box compliance. With a lack of adoption from DisplayPort Nvidia could let Gsync wither and claim that abandoning those customers is a victory.

Freesync over hdmi is going to change things, I can't see how you can build Nvidia's £100 FPGA board and license agreement into a £70 monitor, but a budget gamer can get some adaptive sync benefit even over a restricted frequency range. There are a *lot* of freesync monitors out there already, it passed 100 models months ago, at some point the numbers will get silly enough to force Nvidia's hand.

But this is all down to Nvidia. AMD don't have an option to adopt GSync unless Nvidia grant them a license. Monitor manufacturers can't build Gsync monitors unless they pay Nvidia and get the add in dongle board. Nvidia however have full access to the adopted open standards from AMD.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I don't think that he was implying other people should avoid Freesync, he was simply highlighting the split in industry standards which results in reduced access to functionality when mismatching monitor to GPU has made it a non-starter for him. I completely agree with him, although I would probably go Freesync if the price was REALLY right.

Whether its £200, £300, £400 or more, a monitor is still a lot of money and is something that ideally wouldn't be changed nearly as regularly as perhaps a GPU would be. Given that the performance crown at each given price point flop-flops from generation to generation, any technology which could result in either losing functionality that improves the gaming experience or having to buy a more expensive/less powerful card to keep said functionality is a bit of a kick in the nuts. It's not a dig at Freesync specifically, its just the nature of the market at the moment (thanks to Nvidia).

Presently, if you want to benefit from adaptive V sync, you're choice of monitor will lock you down into a GPU technology. This is the truth, and its bad for the consumer.
    I have seen the arguments said on other forums,to try and make people ignore buying FreeSync monitors,so know I don't accept your arguments at all.

Sorry but you are both on purpose deflecting from one point - the FreeSync monitors cost around the same as the non-FreeSync ones,so trying to twist things to say they are "both lock-ins" is disingenuous and ignoring the fact more and more sub £300 monitors will have FreeSync in it. Considering that FreeSync is the name of the AMD software interface to a VESA STANDARD by that very definition you can't call it a "lock-in" since it can be used by any company.

Plus again you seem to be deflecting from the point there are loads of sub £200 FreeSync monitors too,meaning plenty of people with a Nvidia card who just want a monitor probably will buy one anyway just because it is in their price-range.

If you have a budget of £200 and have a Nvidia card and want a 120HZ/144HZ monitors you will be most likely buying one with FreeSync thrown in anyway. If you want to spend £100 and need DP on your monitor,you will probably be getting a FreeSync one even with a Nvidia card.

The lock-in argument is a load of nonsense,especially when you read his full comment:

G-sync ties you to nvidia, freesync ties you to AMD and 4k means a remortgage for GPUs that can drive the thing at a reasonable rate. I'll stick with my "non-gaming" 2560x1600 Dell
    Basically he is saying to ignore FreeSync since "it ties you to AMD" and is saying to stick to a monitor which does not support adaptive sync.

This is a totally and utterly poorly thought out argument considering significantly more sub £250 monitors have FreeSync and that includes some of the CHEAPEST 120HZ/144HZ monitors and the CHEAPEST monitors with DP.

It is absurd logic,so basically YOU are saying if I wanted to buy a 120HZ/144HZ monitor,have £200 to spend,I should not bother buying one since I have an Nvidia card if I can only get a FreeSync one.

So basically YOU are saying if I wanted a cheap secondary monitor for around £100 with DP I should not bother either??

I don't understand this who point of wanting to avoid FreeSync monitors? Is having a FreeSync logo suddenly going to make your Nvidia card melt or something??

So what happens if virtually all the sub £200 monitors under the next two years have FreeSync since it most companies can throw it in for free?? Are you going to avoid all sub £200 monitors??

It is nothing but fear mongering by both of you - Nvidia card owners like me can use as FreeSync monitor fine,and many of the FreeSync monitors have added functionality outside older monitors,which adds additional value.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 08-12-2016 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

http://www.pcworld.com/article/31292...and-price.html

Hint: It's not just the cost of the proprietary module.

...The website 144HzMonitors lists 20 available G-Sync monitors, versus 85 FreeSync monitors, the latter showing more combinations of screen size, refresh rate, and resolution.

Why the disparity? The conventional wisdom is that Nvidia’s proprietary G-Sync hardware module raises the monitor price due to licensing fees, but that’s not a satisfying explanation. Nvidia is still far and away the market share leader in graphics cards, so you’d think that most monitor makers would create G-Sync variants of their FreeSync displays and at least give GeForce users the option of absorbing the module cost.

As I started talking to monitor makers, a more complicated picture emerged. The real reason for G-Sync’s limited availability is as much about design and development concerns as it is about the price of the module itself...
    Some noise from Nvidia PR on this:

Of course, some monitor makers would prefer that Nvidia supported DisplayPort’s adaptive sync standard, so users could ,at least enjoy some anti-tearing benefits even if they didn’t splurge for a G-Sync monitor. To that, Petersen says “never say never,” but right now he argues there’s no benefit to doing so.

“I’m worried that by just throwing it out there, we could be delivering the same less-than-awesome experience that FreeSync does today,” he says, “and that’s just not our strategy.”
    AFAIK,laptop FreeSync and GSync use the same hardware anyway as laptops use a different display connector type.

Even Nvidia does not rule out supporting it,and monitors are longterm purchases,so I see no reason to avoid buying a FreeSync capable monitor even if you have an Nvidia card and need a new monitor but can't spend £300 on a GSync one.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

OK,lets have a look on Scan then at monitors.

FreeSync ones:

https://www.scan.co.uk/search?q=freesync

So 7 at around £250ish and below. Three are 120HZ/144HZ.

GSync:

https://www.scan.co.uk/search?q=g+sync

None under £300.

Lets look at Ebuyer:

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?q=frees...rice+ascending

13 FreeSync monitors under £300.

The cheapest starts at £90 for a 21.5" IPS one. A 27" curved one which supports 120HZ/144HZ is available for only £250.

The cheapest GSync monitor is around £350.

Also,you might notice Ebuyer and Scan don't always stock the same FreeSync monitors,so in reality it shows you how many more FreeSync monitors under £250ish are out there.

Some of them have some of the best non-FreeSync featuresets out there at their respective price-ranges so make decent monitors even if you don't want to consider FreeSync.

So,trying to spin a yarn of "lock-in" and hence try and find a non-FreeSync monitor instead is really getting a bit daft IMHO OFC.

Edit!!

OK,I had a look on OcUK.

They have dropped some of the prices of their entry level GSync ones:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/monit...Page=1&sSort=3

So you can get a pair of 24" and 27" 1080P ones for £260 now(they were £300 and above in the past).

But then look at their FreeSync range:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/monit...Page=1&sSort=3

Even with a discount the GSync equivalent is still £60 more.

On their website you have 12 FreeSync monitors under £300 as opposed to the two GSync ones which are probably the cheapest ones in the UK.

Again 4 120HZ/144HZ ones from under £260.

The cheaper ones are also sold out - because £200 for a 120HZ/144HZ monitor is stonking value irrespective of whether you own an AMD or Nvidia card.

Plus you might notice those £200ish FreeSync monitors don't last long in stock too.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 08-12-2016 at 11:46 AM.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    They could, but I can't see it being adopted by the DisplayPort standards committee when there is already an adopted standard for adaptive sync. A parallel method with no benefit would just muddy the purchasing decision.

And that might be why Nvidia would open the standard. Nvidia can work on Freesync support, and release a freesync compatible driver at the same time as opening "their standard". An abuse of the word "standard", but at that point they would have the only cards capable of both sync styles. If it requires a hardware change in the cards it would be at least a year for AMD to catch up to support Gsync giving Nvidia an on-paper (because who would buy G-sync when you can get the same monitor for £100 less) lead in the tick-box compliance. With a lack of adoption from DisplayPort Nvidia could let Gsync wither and claim that abandoning those customers is a victory.

Freesync over hdmi is going to change things, I can't see how you can build Nvidia's £100 FPGA board and license agreement into a £70 monitor, but a budget gamer can get some adaptive sync benefit even over a restricted frequency range. There are a *lot* of freesync monitors out there already, it passed 100 models months ago, at some point the numbers will get silly enough to force Nvidia's hand.

But this is all down to Nvidia. AMD don't have an option to adopt GSync unless Nvidia grant them a license. Monitor manufacturers can't build Gsync monitors unless they pay Nvidia and get the add in dongle board. Nvidia however have full access to the adopted open standards from AMD.
    But my point isnt that IT WONT EVER BE SUPPORTED, my point is that we have no clear evidence to suggest it will be.

If someone said, "I want adaptive sync, which monitor should I buy", you wouldn't say "just by a freesync one, Nvidia will eventually support it". You would ask which GPU they had, tell them to buy accordingly and then highlight that they will likely be stuck with this brand if they wish to maintain the V-Sync capability.

And CTF... wow a butt tonne of misrepresenting other peoples statements... here we go I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Sorry but you are both on purpose deflecting from one point - the FreeSync monitors cost around the same as the non-FreeSync ones,so trying to twist things to say they are "both lock-ins" is disingenuous and ignoring the fact more and more sub £300 monitors will have FreeSync in it. Considering that FreeSync is the name of the AMD software interface to a VESA STANDARD by that very definition you can't call it a "lock-in" since it can be used by any company.

Plus again you seem to be deflecting from the point there are loads of sub £200 FreeSync monitors too,meaning plenty of people with a Nvidia card who just want a monitor probably will buy one anyway just because it is in their price-range.

If you have a budget of £200 and have a Nvidia card and want a 120HZ/144HZ monitors you will be most likely buying one with FreeSync thrown in anyway. If you want to spend £100 and need DP on your monitor,you will probably be getting a FreeSync one even with a Nvidia card.
    Where have we deflected from it? No-one raised this point again because there is nothing to argue with. Yes, its a plus point for Freesync, but it doesnt change the original point. If you look back, you will see that I actually said I would buy a freesync one if the price was right... clearly I understand the situation?!
    Should we give you a gold star every time you make a correct statement so you know you done good?

The lock-in argument is a load of nonsense,especially when you read his full comment:

Basically he is saying to ignore FreeSync since "it ties you to AMD" and is saying to stick to a monitor which does not support adaptive sync.

This is a totally and utterly poorly thought out argument considering significantly more sub £250 monitors have FreeSync and that includes some of the CHEAPEST 120HZ/144HZ monitors and the CHEAPEST monitors with DP.

It is absurd logic,so basically YOU are saying if I wanted to buy a 120HZ/144HZ monitor,have £200 to spend,I should not bother buying one since I have an Nvidia card if I can only get a FreeSync one.

So basically YOU are saying if I wanted a cheap secondary monitor for around £100 with DP I should not bother either??

I don't understand this who point of wanting to avoid FreeSync monitors? Is having a FreeSync logo suddenly going to make your Nvidia card melt or something??

So what happens if virtually all the sub £200 monitors under the next two years have FreeSync since it most companies can throw it in for free?? Are you going to avoid all sub £200 monitors??

It is nothing but fear mongering by both of you - Nvidia card owners like me can use as FreeSync monitor fine,and many of the FreeSync monitors have added functionality outside older monitors,which adds additional value.
    No-one said any of that. You have inferred entirely new meanings from the statements made and entirely misrepresented both of our positions to the point where I honestly dont even know how to reply. Neither of us even remotely suggested anyone should or shouldn't buy one technology or the other. Neither of us are "fear mongering" (WTF?!), we simply highlighted the state of the market and its been blown way out of proportion in some crazy fanboyism rant.

It seems the biggest problem people have is with the term "locked-in", from this you have inferred entire plots of conspiracy against all possible monitor buyers around the world... when actually its quite simple.

If you want adaptive sync right now, you cannot mix and match monitor to GPU technologies.
    Thats certainly all I meant and I'm pretty sure thats all spreadie meant, but I cant speak for him. Perhaps his one line statement was entirely dangerous and ill intentioned....

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

But my point isnt that IT WONT EVER BE SUPPORTED, my point is that we have no clear evidence to suggest it will be.

If someone said, "I want adaptive sync, which monitor should I buy", you wouldn't say "just by a freesync one, Nvidia will eventually support it". You would ask which GPU they had, tell them to buy accordingly and then highlight that they will likely be stuck with this brand if they wish to maintain the V-Sync capability.

And CTF... wow a butt tonne of misrepresenting other peoples statements... here we go I suppose

Where have we deflected from it? No-one raised this point again because there is nothing to argue with. Yes, its a plus point for Freesync, but it doesnt change the original point. If you look back, you will see that I actually said I would buy a freesync one if the price was right... clearly I understand the situation?!
    Should we give you a gold star every time you make a correct statement so you know you done good?

No-one said any of that. You have inferred entirely new meanings from the statements made and entirely misrepresented both of our positions to the point where I honestly dont even know how to reply. Neither of us even remotely suggested anyone should or shouldn't buy one technology or the other. Neither of us are "fear mongering" (WTF?!), we simply highlighted the state of the market and its been blown way out of proportion in some crazy fanboyism rant.

It seems the biggest problem people have is with the term "locked-in", from this you have inferred entire plots of conspiracy against all possible monitor buyers around the world... when actually its quite simple.

If you want adaptive sync right now, you cannot mix and match monitor to GPU technologies.
    Thats certainly all I meant and I'm pretty sure thats all spreadie meant, but I cant speak for him. Perhaps his one line statement was entirely dangerous and ill intentioned....

Sorry but fanboy?? Rant?? So basically you you can't counter anything I said so because you are an insecure massive fantard yourself,you are now ranting at anyone who does not agree with you as being a fanboy. You need to resort to such language since nobody is agreeing with your argument.

You and your mate ranting about "lock-ins" is the same language some of the BIGGEST Nvidia fantards on other forums have used to try and desperately stop people getting a FreeSync monitor. The same lot get really annoyed when people point out the monitors cost much less and are around the same price as normal ones.

Then cost becomes a non-issue and its always,some excuse and then when they can't counter argue a single point,they use fanboy(or something similar) to try and deflect from actually answering anything.

You call other people fanboys since you are a MASSIVE one yourself and it shows you how annoyed you are that if anybody points out the monitors are well specced on top of having FreeSync you are doing everything to deflect from it.

See how angry you got,that you actually showed your true colours by starting to insult people.

So insecure fanboys like you are doing everything to troll and thread thrash on purpose since you can't actually debate anything.

So me having a GTX660,GTX960 and now a GTX1080(on borrow though) makes me a MASSIVE fanboy - only an insecure fanboy like you would think like that.

Plus your fanboy wriggling won't deflect from this:

G-sync ties you to nvidia, freesync ties you to AMD and 4k means a remortgage for GPUs that can drive the thing at a reasonable rate. I'll stick with my "non-gaming" 2560x1600 Dell
    Yes,the logic used is both "lock you in" so avoid them,which is ridiculous fanboy logic since people look at more than one metric when buying a monitor.

Only fanbois like YOU with their rants against FreeSync,only see logic in saying "FreeSync ties you to AMD". Since you are such a massive fanboy yourself and trying to support your mate,you can't get it even into your brain,that many of the FreeSync monitors have decent feature sets,so it does not matter whether they have FreeSync or not because they are decent monitors anyway.

You response:
    "I'm a victim"
    "Your a fanboi"

No,both of you didn't think of position properly and so you are peddling that to save face. Typical of ranting fanboys like yourself.

Of course, some monitor makers would prefer that Nvidia supported DisplayPort’s adaptive sync standard, so users could ,at least enjoy some anti-tearing benefits even if they didn’t splurge for a G-Sync monitor. To that, Petersen says “never say never,” but right now he argues there’s no benefit to doing so.
    Also,it shows you Nvidia does not even rule out supporting it,so your rant about calling me a fanboy,etc is only trying to make this into a flamewar,so you can obscure that little snippet I found.

So Nvidia PR are also fanboys since they they don't rule out support if they feel the time is right. No difference from Nvidia starting to support OpenCL better.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 08-12-2016 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

It seems I struck a nerve, no gold star this time then....

Sorry but fanboy?? Rant?? So basically you you can't counter anything I said so because you are an insecure massive fantard yourself,you are now ranting at anyone who does not agree with you as being a fanboy. You and your mate ranting about "lock-ins" is the same language some of the BIGGEST Nvidia fantards on other forums have used to try and desperately stop people getting a FreeSync monitor.

You call other people fanoys since you are a MASSIVE one yourself and it shows you how annoyed you are that if anybody points out the monitors are well specced on top of having FreeSync you are doing everything to deflect from it.

See how angry you got,that you actually showed your true colours by starting to insult people.

So insecure fanboys like you are doing everything to troll and thread thrash on purpose since you can't actually debate anything.

So me having a GTX660,GTX960 and now a GTX1080 makes me a MASSIVE fanboy - only an insecure fanboy like you would think like that.

Plus your fanboy wriggling won't deflect from this:
    Mates? Not sure I have ever spoken to the bloke?
    Fanboy? I have an AMD card and have done for a while... Im also a pretty open AMD supporter... but Ive been around a while... so you already know that as you PM me when these discussion regularly come about... what are you on about?
    Also not entirely sure Fanboy is even an insult... kinda just a description of someone who is obsessed with one particular brand or model.
    Not angry at all, I think its very clear who is the angry one. There is literally nothing to refute, you invented false inference in our statements and then went off on one.

What you are accusing us of, is not what we said, therefore there is nothing to argue with.

Yes,the logic used is both "lock you in" so avoid them,which is ridiculous fanboy logic since people look at more than one metric when buying a monitor.
    That would absolutely be ridiculous fan boy logic, but again, we didn't say to avoid them. We said, we wont be buying/we're not interested at present.

(In fact I would be, if there was a bargain to be had, and I said as such... but hey lets not worry about what people ACTUALLY SAID when we can just make stuff up eh?)

Only fanbois like YOU with their rants against FreeSync,only see logic in saying "FreeSync ties you to AMD". Since you are such a massive fanboy yourself and trying to support your mate,you can't get it even into your brain,that many of the FreeSync monitors have decent feature sets,so it does not matter whether they have FreeSync or not because they are decent monitors anyway.
    Where is my freesync rant
    Where on earth did I say any of that... I just said in the last post that it was a totally correct statement and it wasnt brought up because there is nothing to argue with, but it doesnt change the original point.

You response:
    "I'm a victim"
    "Your a fanboi"
    I didnt say/act liek I was a victim, I said you misrepresented me... and you continue to do it.

No,both of you didn't think of position properly and so you are peddling that to save face. Typical of ranting fanboys like yourself.
    Nothing wrong with my position, im just being realistic and honest....

Peddling what?!?

Also,it shows you Nvidia does not even rule out supporting it,so your rant about calling me a fanboy,etc is only trying to make this into a flamewar,so you can obscure that little snippet I found.
    I suppose that does show Nvidia haven't ruled out supporting it, still a stretch to suggest that its evidence they will support it.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

It seems I struck a nerve, no gold star this time then....
    Well your the one who struck a nerve since you got annoyed and starting hurling insults at people.

Mates? Not sure I have ever spoken to the bloke?
    Fanboy? I have an AMD card and have done for a while... Im also a pretty open AMD supporter... but Ive been around a while... so you already know that as you PM me when these discussion regularly come about... what are you on about?
    Also not entirely sure Fanboy is even an insult... kinda just a description of someone who is obsessed with one particular brand or model.
    Not angry at all, I think its very clear who is the angry one. There is literally nothing to refute, you invented false inference in our statements and then went off on one.

What you are accusing us of, is not what we said, therefore there is nothing to argue with.

That would absolutely be ridiculous fan boy logic, but again, we didn't say to avoid them. We said, we wont be buying/we're not interested at present.

(In fact I would be, if there was a bargain to be had, and I said as such... but hey lets not worry about what people ACTUALLY SAID when we can just make stuff up eh?)

Where is my freesync rant
    Where on earth did I say any of that... I just said in the last post that it was a totally correct statement and it wasnt brought up because there is nothing to argue with, but it doesnt change the original point.

I didnt say/act liek I was a victim, I said you misrepresented me... and you continue to do it.

Nothing wrong with my position, im just being realistic and honest....

Peddling what?!?
    So basically back-peddling. Now you accuse people of twisting things(you did it to scaryjim too BTW),and now are twisting your very annoyed response of insulting people by calling them fanboys and ranters,since it means you can deflect from discussing anything. I love how your warped logic twisting this into a AMD vs Nvidia thing - it is a pathetic comeback from you since you can't argue a point. If you engaged your brain for one second you might want to ask why I bought a GTX660 or GTX960 over what AMD had at the time - humor me!

Your argument is nothing but a case of false equivalence at best - this is why other posters have highlighted it too.

The worst thing is you don't even get the whole point your mate was making,which is the worst aspect of it. Plus you don't even seem to get the point I am making or the one scaryjim is making either. This is what happens when people only concentrate on one metric and one metric alone - people don't just buy monitors on one metric and it is YOU who is getting irritated when people are highlighting flaws in your obsessive metric.

Edit!!

All your deflection does not change anything:
    1.)Nvidia has hinted there is a change of VESA adapative sync support
    2.)Far more FreeSync monitors under £300
    3.)Many of the FreeSync monitors under £300 have decent feature sets for owners of AMD or Nvidia cards
    4.)More and more companies are moving to add FreeSync to more sub £300 monitors
    5.)Intel has suggested they might support it too

Statements like this are false equivalence:

G-sync ties you to nvidia, freesync ties you to AMD and 4k means a remortgage for GPUs that can drive the thing at a reasonable rate. I'll stick with my "non-gaming" 2560x1600 Dell that, surprisingly, I can play games on.
    It ignores the cost difference and the fact that for most people those FreeSync monitors have decent feature sets for the price. Anybody who read that statement would see it says "avoid FreeSync and GSync monitors due to lock-in".

Which is not true - GSync will lock you in more and there is no guarantee it will be supported as long. Adaptive sync is a VESA standard,so it will be supported for a long time.

You are the one getting annoyed when I suggested it makes no difference at the budget end as the FreeSync monitors have a good feature set - there is no reason NOT to tell somebody with a Nvidia card to buy one.

Why both you and your mate are doing is trying to reduce a more complex argument to a single metric so "you can win". Sadly for you that is not how it works and it is why I have even seen people with Nvidia cards buy a FreeSync monitor just because they want to hedge their bets and because of the decent feature set for the price.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 08-12-2016 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Well your the one who struck a never since you got annoyed and starting hurling insults at people.
    Bit dramatic isn't it?
    All I did was call you a fanboy and offer you a gold star for pointing out freesync monitors are pretty good monitors regardless of the topic at hand. Dont think that really classes as hurling insults around...
    So basically back-peddling.
    My position has been 100% consistent. Still is.
    Now you accuse people of twisting things(you did it to scaryjim too BTW),and now are twisting your very annoyed response of insulting people by calling them fanboys and ranters,since it means you can deflect from discussing anything.
    I stated that an incorrect inference was being made from the statements that I made and explained my position very clearly, each time. I'm not deflecting from discussing anything, im just not going to sit here and argue with you about whether Freesync is the better technology, because if you actually read what I said, I have been quite clear that I believe its the better technology for the market and that I agree with the statements about it being a no brainer.

The worst thing is you don't even get the whole point your mate was making,which is the worst aspect of it. Plus you don't even seem to get the point I am making or the one scaryjim is making either.
    I fully understand... well, perhaps I dont understand spreadie and I'm completely wrong about what he meant... but otherwise I get it.
    Open standard, nvidia have the option to offer compliance, freesync options are solid monitors regardless of adaptive sync tech, intel may soon be adding complience, prices are roughly the same as none-complient monitors, people will probably look at other aspects of the monitor other than just avsync... totally get it but none of it is relevant to the point I was making (and I think Spreadie was making)... one more time for those at the back...

If you you're looking to buy a monitor right now with the intention using adaptive sync, you cannot mix and match GPU and monitor technology... (see I did it without saying "locked in" )

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

... see I did it without saying "locked in"...
    Doesn't that make it a different point?
    </troll>

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Bit dramatic isn't it?
    Nope,your response is the "dramatic" one and my counter response was mocking. Maybe you really need to re-read my comments. Both are you are getting obsessed on the whole FreeSync branding - my entire argument is that it does not matter due to the massive price difference and the fact that non-FreeSync monitors are around the same price as similarly specced(or better specced) FreeSync monitors.

If you were paying like £60 to £100 more for FS like GS I might feel differently but it is thrown in literally for free over normal monitors,so people who buy normal monitors can then just buy a FS instead?? It does not seem like rocket science to me.

If I need to spec a gaming build with a monitor and there is only £100 to £200 for a monitor left,why shouldn't I spec one of those FreeSync monitors even if its a Nvidia card?? It makes no logical sense to not consider them.

Why do you think that article says there are 85 FS and 20 GS monitors?? People keep forgetting FreeSync is only the software interface and branding AMD give to adaptive sync. The scalers are newer generation and certain older generation scalers which can support the extra specs.

Any company can choose them - its like saying if Apple decides to drop all USB ports and support something new they have just invented. It would be like saying USB is now a lock-in to PCs and older Macs,but it really isn't though.

Plus I might have mentioned it here or on OcUK forums,I don't understand why Nvidia just does not support both:
    1.)GSync Lite
    2.)GSync Premium

So have basic support for adaptive sync and support a fuller feature set with GSync modules.

You really need to read his comment again - its a common way people on other forums have used to actively de-promote somebody getting FreeSync monitors. People should not buy one since both "lock you in",but so what??

Maybe he doesn't feel that way,but you see certain people peddling it elsewhere and they have,ahem,history to put it mildly and its quite easy for it to be the common view.

I don't see any logical reason to NOT consider a FreeSync monitor if it fills your criteria for a monitor if you have a Nvidia card and will never even buy an AMD card.

Edit!!

FreeSync and GSync is only one consideration when buying a card and mine is more cost,and PCB length in addition to performance and reasonable power requirements. People have bought GTX1070 cards on OcUK to replace older cards since AMD had no performance card that was sufficient fast enough for certain games and that had FreeSync monitors.

This technologies only somewhat compensate for the performance of your card.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 08-12-2016 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Doesn't that make it a different point?
    </troll>

Fine...

If it gets both of you to put you're feathers away

I love how your warped logic twisting this into a AMD vs Nvidia thing - it is a pathetic comeback from you since you can't argue a point. If you engaged your brain for one second you might want to ask why I bought a GTX660 or GTX960 over what AMD had at the time - humor me!
    I made a factual statement. I havent turned anything into a nvidia vs AMD war?
    I don't really care why you did or didn't buy a card. I know I bought my R9 290X because it was a bargain.

If you're really so upset I would be so bold as to suggest you're acting like an AMD fanboy... then I apologise!

This is what happens when people only concentrate on one metric and one metric alone - people don't just buy monitors on one metric and it is YOU who is getting irritated when people are highlighting flaws in your obsessive metric.
    Can you stop presuming you know how I feel or think behind what is actually stated in my post? It's genuinely ridiculous.
    But anyway, FOR ME... this is the only metric that matters right now. My current monitor does everything it needs too so to upgrade, this would be a pretty damn relevant metric as a gamer.
    Most reviewers have stated it as a pretty significant technology that has improved their experience, so IMO, adaptive sync, along with resolution and connectivity are the biggest metrics relevant to me.
    All your deflection does not change anything:
    1.)Nvidia has hinted there is a change of VESA adapative sync support
    2.)Far more FreeSync monitors under £300
    3.)Many of the FreeSync monitors under £300 have decent feature sets for owners of AMD or Nvidia cards
    4.)More and more companies are moving to add FreeSync to more sub £300 monitors
    5.)Intel has suggested they might support it too
    WHAT DEFLECTION FFS Stop saying deflection, the word is losing its meaning.
    1)Really... you're going with that as a hint? I mean I hope they do but I need more than that to be persuaded.
    2)OK... Relevance?
    3)OK.... Relevance?
    4)OK..... Relevance?
    5)Cool.... Useful information and good news for average laptop users but still.... relevance?

Statements like this are false equivalence:
    It ignores the cost difference and the fact that for most people those FreeSync monitors have decent feature sets for the price. Anybody who read that statement would see it says "avoid FreeSync and GSync monitors due to lock-in".
    Lol what?
    This is what im talking about. You seem to think you can predict the hidden meaning behind his statement. You guys are all jumping down the dudes throat because he highlighted the segregation in the market and why that was preventing him from upgrading.

You are the one getting annoyed when I suggested it makes no difference at the budget end as the FreeSync monitors have a good feature set - there is no reason NOT to tell somebody with a Nvidia card to buy one.
    Well yes there is... if someone with an Nvidia card would like adaptive sync, then they have to buy a G-Sync monitor. This is a very good reason and shouldnt be ignored.
    Once again, I agree, G-Sync sucks in the sense of the market... but this is factually accurate and adaptive sync is a technology that does add to the gaming experience. "Deflecting" this metric as irrelevant from a discussion about which monitor is right for someone or if they should upgrade is, in my opinion, pretty bad advise.

Why both you and your mate are doing is trying to reduce a more complex argument to a single metric so "you can win". Sadly for you that is not how it works and it is why I have even seen people with Nvidia cards buy a FreeSync monitor just because they want to hedge their bets and because of the decent feature set for the price.
    What are you talking about, "trying to win"?
    You seem to be the only one of this mindset, if you want to feel like you won then fine... go ahead.. Ill sit down with the little one tonight, stick some stars on a cardboard crown and write "Hexus Argument Winner" on the front... Seriously, what do expect as an outcome?

I simply don't agree with statements being taken out of context and misrepresented.

Nope,your response is the "dramatic" one and my counter response was mocking. Maybe you really need to re-read my comments. Both are you are getting obsessed on the whole FreeSync branding - my entire argument is that it does not matter due to the massive price difference and the fact that non-FreeSync monitors are around the same price as similarly specced(or better specced) FreeSync monitors.
    NO YOU'RE DRAMATIC! IM THE ADULT TIMES INFINITY, NO SPEAKY BACKSIES.

Damn, perhaps I should keep that crown now... that was a good one.

I mean the rest of the post is all stuff you have said before which is either not under dispute (freesync better all-things considered, cheaper, more likely to reach widespread use etc...), more presumption of motive (saying we arent upgrading means we are telling others to avoid the technology), or misrepresentation of position (by saying we wont be upgrading due to current market segregation means we totally against Freesync and see it as the exact same thing as G-Sync.)
    Im not going to run in circles anymore.

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

Ill sit down with the little one tonight, stick some stars on a cardboard crown and write "Hexus Argument Winner" on the front...
    Please could I have one of those as well, just in case

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Guys, chill. No point getting this worked up over arbitrary distinctions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

15. Received thanks from:

outwar6010 (11-12-2016)

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Quote Originally Posted by virtuo View Post
    Please could I have one of those as well, just in case
    I would ask for one for when I'm arguing with the wife, but it'd never get used by me.

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

An interesting article here on the development cost of G-Sync monitors as a factor, not just the g-sync hardware in there:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/31292...and-price.html

Tom Petersen (Nvidia’s director of technical marketing) states on adopting adaptive sync on DP, he says "never say never" though doesn't see the need at the moment.. probably due to Nvidia's current dominance in the graphics market. If AMD makes head way, Nvidia will probably change their tune.
    Last edited by The Hand; 08-12-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information