• Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Re: Gaming monitor market to get more competitive next year

Tom Petersen in that article:

I’m worried that by just throwing it out there, we could be delivering the same less-than-awesome experience that FreeSync does today
    In other words: good gaming experiences are only for people with lots of money, and if you're poor we don't want to know you.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post

In other words: good gaming experiences are only for people with lots of money, and if you're poor we don't want to know you.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hand View Post
    An interesting article here on the development cost of G-Sync monitors as a factor, not just the g-sync hardware in there:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/31292...and-price.html

Tom Petersen (Nvidia’s director of technical marketing) states on adopting adaptive sync on DP, he says "never say never" though doesn't see the need at the moment.. probably due to Nvidia's current dominance in graphics market. If AMD makes head way, Nvidia will probably change their tune.
    Yep,I made mention to that article,not only the comment you highlighted,but the fact there are 85 FreeSync monitors available and only 20 GSync ones and they start from £90 onwards for more basic ones. As time progresses I expect more and more monitors will be shipping with FreeSync enabled,at little to no cost addition over the ones they replaced.

Edit!!

Do consoles support adaptive sync - it might be very interesting if they could push support to compatible TVs at some point.

Second Edit!!

Looks like AMD might be working on something:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/freesy...ews-53880.html

When asked if the company was doing anything specific to get TV manufacturers interested in launching FreeSync-enabled TVs, Sr. Vice President and Chief Architect Raja Koduri gave a mixed-bag reaction that essentially confirms the existence and development of FreeSync TVs:

“We are definitely working with the entire display community on getting FreeSync to more places,” said Koduri, who seemed to hesitate before continuing. “I think this is something we should follow up...on what we can share at this point on FreeSync TVs.”

As the call shifted back to rank-and-file orders of business, our collective spider senses were tingling with the sensation that something big was just mistakenly revealed, so we followed up by reaching out to Radeon. The company has yet to respond.
    Now,if they could try and get that out,that could be quite interesting indeed.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 08-12-2016 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Future adaptive sync compatibility is kinda pointless - go back a couple of years and it was useful at 1080p, nowadays you don't need much of a graphics card to get enough frames to fill a 120Hz monitor. If you're getting the 30-50fps (or whatever) that adaptive sync works over at the resolution of your monitor, then your next graphics card upgrade should be smooth enough that v-sync alone is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post

Didn't they say something similar about giving the 1060's SLI support?

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    Future adaptive sync compatibility is kinda pointless - go back a couple of years and it was useful at 1080p, nowadays you don't need much of a graphics card to get enough frames to fill a 120Hz monitor. If you're getting the 30-50fps (or whatever) that adaptive sync works over at the resolution of your monitor, then your next graphics card upgrade should be smooth enough that v-sync alone is fine.
    but V-Sync involves internal GPU buffering, any adaptive solution doesn't (AFAIK).

Thanks
    • gupsterg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz
      • Memory:
      • Kingston HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + HGST 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master V850
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Temjin 06 plus mods ;)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk VDSL

Looking forward to more monitor choice .

What seemed like eons I had a 1680x1050 display, then went 1080P sometime mid 2015. I owned an AMD card at that time (R9 290), I liked the idea of getting a FreeSync monitor but never did get one at the time.

Just like stated by two other members it felt like I was tying myself into what GPU I must have/get in the future. Then and now there are only two GPU makers that would fulfill my gaming needs, AMD or nVidia. AFAIK there wasn't a third GPU maker on the horizon then or now for my gaming. Why I mention this third GPU maker is if there was one and they did adopt FreeSync as no license fee, etc then I would have felt I was not tying myself to just one GPU maker.

So if I bought a FreeSync monitor which had no premium for tech I had to have AMD GPU to use it. If I went G-Sync I needed a nVidia GPU and paid a premium over FreeSync.

I opted for a high refresh rate monitor without any variable refresh rate tech, an Eizo FG2421 at a bargain price. I was very happy with that monitor, but then in 2016 as I'd gone Fury X I wanted to go 1440P monitor. I liked the VA panel of the FG2421 and could I find a 120Hz+ VA 1440P monitor? nope.

Even though the main purpose of my rig is gaming I find little time for it, max 1hr a day. Therefore I have a lot of older games to complete, which can give high FPS @ 1440P, but then I do have some newer games which would not give high FPS. FreeSync would have seemed the logical choice as I had a Fury X, in the past R9 290 and before that AMD as well. I opted for a Dell U2515H, it seemed the right choice for several reasons.

Within a month or so it became apparent 60Hz was not ample for some games I played (ie first person shooters). So then I went Asus MG279Q, out of 3 I kept the one which had pretty much no backlight bleed. My test parameter was I should see no backlight bleed when the screen has full black screen, under normal room lighting in the evening, monitor brightness was adjusted to lower level than daytime use.

On a side note FreeSync made Dead Space super on the PC . If I used V-Sync off I saw a distinct line being rendered, in image on movement, on FG2421 or U2515H, I did limited and unlimited FPS. With V-Sync on the game engine capped to 30 FPS which was pants IMO. On the MG279Q I could use V-Sync off, limit FPS to be within FreeSync range of monitor and had perfectly rendered image with 89 FPS .

I have read a few times posts by nVida card owners on various sites that have bought high refresh rate panels with FreeSync, even though they can't use the tech as it was cheaper than G-Sync screen and the general spec of the FreeSync was want they wanted. A family member did not, had nVidia card so bought G-Sync as wanted VRR tech working now, not if nVidia start to support FreeSync in the future.

I reckon there are plenty of people out there that feel "locked in" when picking a monitor if they want VRR tech.

I also wish the screen manufacturers would start assessing backlight bleed at levels of lighting that normally we have in the evening with room lit by say a 60W energy saving bulb or something similar. Both Dell U2515H had slight bleed in one corner, meaning I couldn't have dark desktop backgrounds, as saw the glow. As stated previously I went through 3x MG279Q. Even the one I kept developed some dead pixels within a month . As I'd had enough of swapping around monitors, I've kept it but notified Asus tech support what I think on QA of their monitors.

I'd also like to see 25" 1440P VA high refresh FreeSync screen, I prefer VA over IPS. 25" seemed just the right size to me, the high DPI of the U2515H made for jaw dropping image quality IMO.
    Last edited by gupsterg; 10-12-2016 at 12:27 PM.
    i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB@2400MHz 1T - Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.7K 3DM FS)
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - Cooler Master V850

R7 1700@3.8GHz - Archon IB-E X2 - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz C14 - Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.2K 3DM FS)
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - Cooler Master V850

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information