Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: QOTW: How many cores/threads does your desktop CPU have?

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Re: QOTW: How many cores/threads does your desktop CPU have?

Quote Originally Posted by alchemist83 View Post
    ... an old Phenom 4 core isn't even on par with a Core2Duo. Full of it
    Talk about chatting rubbish! Have you ever read a review of the Phenom II X4 against the 45nm Core 2 Quads? Obviously not, because if you had you'd know that the 920 was about the same speed as a Q9300.

Have you asked what resolution he's playing at? What fps he's getting?

According to http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-gtx-75...evel-settings/ Witcher 3 is very playable at "console settings" on a 750 Ti (> 30fps average). Those settings looks like a mix of medium and high to me, which means 20fps on high settings @ 1080p is probably about right (more if he uses a lower resolution), and for many people (particularly in a 3rd person rpg like Witcher) 20fps is still playable; I used to run Dungeon Siege 3 on a Llano APU and was very happy playing that at ~ 23fps average, and my step-son even used to play Skyrim on the HD4200 IGP of an AM3 board @ ~ 8fps (I wouldn't've called it playable, but he didn't seem to mind!).

Playable is a very subjective matter. You can't tell other people what they can and can't do on the hardware they're using. If stevie lee is happy with the performance of his hardware and enjoys his gaming experience, all power to him.

What's offensive is you trying to tell people what they are and aren't experiencing. Your post is teetering on the edge of personal abuse, which is not acceptable on Hexus. I'd advise you to rein your enthusiasm in a little, and be a little more open to the fact that other people might have different expectations than you...

2. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (23-03-2017),stevie lee (23-03-2017)

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

Well I gotta call BS on this one mate - its just plain offensive to claim that a extremely demanding game like Witcher 3 is running on high with the specs you listed. Your specs don't even cover the min requirements to run it. Where you get off on chatting this? I have a 6600k with a GTX 980 and have trouble running smoothly on high. GTX 750ti = GTX 660 which is the lowest G card to meet min requirements. Getting annoyed at ppl chatting rubbish claiming they a guru cos they havent upgraded since forever. I reckon you'd be lost on a new setup - theory dont cover practical knowledge. DDR2, an old AMD - and AMD's as we all know have taken till know to start getting good, an old Phenom 4 core isn't even on par with a Core2Duo. Full of it
    think I should start enabling my signature again in threads...

the 750ti review is helpful in this case. http://forums.hexus.net/reader-revie...ew-stevie.html

and as for BS in high settings.

heres my 750ti video on ultra settings just because
    its linked and explained better in one of the witcher 3 threads in the gaming section on hexus.

as for minimum specs. you do realise the point of minimum specs published. they're to show what you need for a playable ~30fps experience in average specs. which mine is, so yeah. its playable at high settings. and its in 1680x1050 which helps somewhat.

I can play games where I'm below the minimum in everything except for hard drive space. does run with constant lag spikes, screen tearing, occasional PC lockups. but the point is it does run which I'm happy about.

and where I get off? well I quietly chuckle and smirk at people who 'think' they need high end stuff to even load and run things. until you've tried it on low end stuff then you just don't know that it doesn't.
    its not for everyone. but it suits me just fine. and where did I profess to be a guru on these things?

Thanks

Red face Re: QOTW: How many cores/threads does your desktop CPU have?

Quote Originally Posted by stevie lee View Post
    think I should start enabling my signature again in threads...

and as for BS in high settings.

heres my 750ti video on ultra settings just because
    its linked and explained better in one of the witcher 3 threads in the gaming section on hexus.

as for minimum specs. you do realise the point of minimum specs published. they're to show what you need for a playable ~30fps experience in average specs. which mine is, so yeah. its playable at high settings. and its in 1680x1050 which helps somewhat.

I can play games where I'm below the minimum in everything except for hard drive space. does run with constant lag spikes, screen tearing, occasional PC lockups. but the point is it does run which I'm happy about.

and where I get off? well I quietly chuckle and smirk at people who 'think' they need high end stuff to even load and run things. until you've tried it on low end stuff then you just don't know that it doesn't.
    its not for everyone. but it suits me just fine. and where did I profess to be a guru on these things?
    Sorry If I came in a bit harsh - you can chuckle all you like.
    Best hush my tongue then eh? As a games designer I know nothing - reviewing as a side line. My limited knowledge as you both express. Damn I feel stupid. Just wondering how you're putting the 6GB min requirement in that AM3(+) board you must be using. 30FPS was the min for old games - 60FPS is generally the norm for recent times. Craziness - yes a lot of modern games can be run on old equipment but the experience will be beyond ridiculous with massive lag. I would call this unplayable. The min specs are suggested to have a usable experience.

@scaryjim Yes mate I've used plenty of cpus in the past 20 years, and if you have used a 940 and say a E8500 then in the real world you can feel the difference alot. AMD's of this era are shockingly poor when it comes to gaming. Single core speed in games has nothing to do with multi core Handbrake conversions that make an X4 shine in a review.

Nothing personal - no abuse. Just an observation. Cheers Jim

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry If I came in a bit harsh - you can chuckle all you like.
    Best hush my tongue then eh? As a games designer I know nothing - reviewing as a side line.
    Perhaps stick to designing games then?

However, I'm sure the community would be interested to know which games you have designed and/or coded, and the platforms involved.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread Information